User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Qld Flood Recce 29/01/2011

All I can say is that Mother Nature sure has ripped SEQ a new one.

(AKA ... How wrong we were.!!)

The day started out with a short trip up the Hwy from home to Caboolture and then a nice easy run across the Beerburrum - Woodford Road to meet the rest of the group for breakfast at the Woodford Bakery.

The sky was a bit overcast but a bit of rain wasn’t going to stop us.
The rains have definately arrived in Qld for the first real wet season in many years. Most of our favourite roads and trails have been closed so many of us are getting a bit of cabin fever.
We haven’t had any real rain for a couple of weeks now so Cruz and I hatched a plan to do a ride and get out and see how much damage had been done in some of our general riding areas.

After catching up with a group of Caterpillars at Woodford, Cruz, Sean-O and I headed towards Kilcoy and the top end of Somerset dam. You could see there had been so much water down every creek and gully. The watermarks were metres above normal.

Looking across at Mt Archer (part of the Mt Mee forest) there were numerous landslips carving out the side of the mountain.

Somerset dam was as full as I’ve ever seen it. They have let a lot of water out but the level is still right up there.

After stopping for fuel in Kilcoy, (never miss an opportunity to fuel up hey Sean. You never know when you might have to do some backtracking.) we headed up along Mt Kilcoy Rd. One of the locals at the servo said it was open but we should be able to get past the landslips on the bikes.

There’s a bit of water damage around.

You even get to fall into some of it…

We finally made it to the top of Traves (Mt Kilcoy) Rd and continued along Bellthrorpe Rd towards Jimna. The road was in pretty good nick considering. A few minor landslips and the odd washout but not too bad

We stopped at West Kilcoy crk for a look. It looks clean and fresh.

We continued along Bellthorpe Rd and turned down 10 mile. This track is in good condition too. Again a few minor washouts but good other wise. Even the whoops are still good.

After 10 mile we crossed over to Monsildale Rd.
Not far from the start there were signs that the water had done some damage. The road normally goes on the left of picture.

A bit further along there is a bigger landslip. Its hard to see where the water has come from but it taken ½ the side of the mountain down the hill with it. This was there back in October but I think it’s got a bit worse with all the recent rains.

Many of the crossings on Monsildale Rd have changed considerably. What used to be slight trickles have obviously been raging torrents. The damage is enormous. But only a sample of what lay ahead.

Lots of slippery green stuff on them too

Down in the valley, you could see the reshaping of the river.

So after a rest at the end of Monsildale Rd and a chat to some other locals out for a look. They were going to see if they could get across Mt Buggery to Imbil and Kenilworth. We were headed North along Kilcoy Murgon Rd to Gallangowan and then south towards Linville and we were thinking a nice lunch at Moore around 1- 1.30…

How wrong we were.!!!

We took our usual route through the forest from Gallangowan and down to meet up with the Eastern Branch rd. With all the rain this track is getting a little overgrown and was hard to follow in places. It’s really a case of point the bike and hope you’re on the track and there are no rocks hiding on the grass. There is a little creek that you cross and it’s the first time its been totally dry. We were thinking this side of the range must have missed the rain….

How wrong we were.!!!

We linked up with the Eastern Branch Rd and headed down the hill. The river has totally reshaped this area. In some places, what used to be road is now river and other places the road just doesn’t exist.

Lots of washouts and nearly impassable tracks. Many of the usually dry little river crossings aren’t even there any more. Apparently this area had something like 11 inches (275mm) of rain in about 1 hour. That is a massive amount of rain.

I didn’t get a lot of photos through here as I would have been stopping every 2 minutes. It is just incredible to see.

This got even worse just over the hill.

We followed the Eastern Branch as far as we could until we were confronted by this.

It looked like a trip to the beach....

Boys… I think you forgot your surf boards….!!!!!

We looked, we tried but we had to turn around and head back the way we’d come and head across to the Western Branch. From there we’d run down to Linville and then onto Moore for lunch… Maybe 2pm….

How wrong we were.!!

We finally got through and it was actually easier going back through the 2nd time than the first. Once through the tough bits we stopped and rested for a while. Sean was a bit tired from kicking the BRP all day.

We came out onto the Western Branch Rd at the old forest station and headed South for Moore. Over the first crest and …

There has been some serious water through here.

We headed south across a few creek crossings, maybe 7 or 8 or 10. Some deep and some just a trickle. We came out at the intersection of the Western and Eastern Branch Rds. There was this piece of rusty corrugated iron leaning up against a post with the words pained on it… “Road closed Residents only”

We have 2 options… go forth and see what happens or turn around and go back. We’d done a bit of back tracking here and there and the fuel was starting to get a little low for some… hey Sean? So go forth we did.

Just down the road we see why the road was closed. Again, what used to be a concrete ford across the river was no longer. It was gone and there was no sign of it anywhere.

What are our options?

We could see a new road had been cut into the hill just off to the right so Sean headed off to investigate. No sooner had he rolled away than the local farmer paid us a visit. He wasn’t too happy. He even laid some heavy blame on the Victorian Education system as he told me I mustn’t have be able to read. He mixed in a few words that an uneducated person like myself couldn’t quite comprehend. Lots starting with “F” and even some starting with “C”. They must teach these in Qld….

BUT.... In all fairness these people have copped it pretty rough lately. No food or power for days. And they are now getting loads of tourists getting stuck and expect the farmers to come and help.

When our new friend calmed down a bit he was telling us about a few of the recent rescues.

So if you happen to be out that way and you see a “Road Closed” sign please adhere to it.

The Western and Eastern Branch Rds are closed and will be for a very long time.

We tried to explain that we were getting low on fuel but our only option was to back track again and head for Nanango. So be it!

Back through all those water crossings… Maybe lunch at Nanango around 4… You guessed it…

How wrong we were.!!

We got through all but 3 of the crossings on the way back until some useless fat bastard (namely ME) decided to drop his bike in the river and drown it. Its starting to look like no lunch for us today….

I didn’t get any more photos, not even one of the drowned bike. (I think Sean has some.)

Anyway long story short…. After an hour of drying out the bike it decided to go again. We got a few km up the road and Sean runs out of fuel.

OK we have about 25km to go to Nanango. I drain some from my bike and off we go again.

About 10km further down the road. I notice no-one in my mirrors. I slowed down but still no one. I decided to keep going as it was only about 5km into Nanango. I fuelled up and still no one. I'm sure someone has run out. At least I had some fuel to hand over now. I headed back out, drained some more fuel for Sean and we all headed into town.

It was about 6pm at this stage and still no lunch. Time to slab it the 200km back to Brissy.
We were lucky the Blackbutt range had re opened in the last few days otherwise we would have had to head home via Gympie. Maybe getting home sometime Sunday.

It was a good run home even the stop lights on the range were in our favour. There is only one lane open and it is one way traffic for 15 mins each way. So if you miss the lights you're waiting for up to 15 mins.

We finally got to Moore at 7pm. We didn’t stop for lunch we just headed straight for Woodford where we expected the Caterpillar riders to be waiting for us.

How wrong we were.!!

They’d packed up and gone home hours ago.

Cruz and I left Sean at his car in Woodford at about 8 and hit the highway home, finally arriving to a cold beer and a well needed shower around 8.40.
A long day, a great day and an eye opening day.

Thanks for the company Bruce and Sean.

We'll see if we can find something a little trickier next time for you Sean.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,079
Great RR guys... this is one of my "new" areas for riding. Goose Feather introduced me to the area.

But man... you guys sure put the Adventure in to ADV.

I noticed the 20:40 hours home time... er are you in the dog house?

My effort in the border ranges last weekend that had me home at 20:30 hours got me in the poo with the War Office. Spent yesterday morning having a short ride to Mt Glorious with Goose Feather for coffee. Hardly an ADV ride.. he brought his Harley.

I must get up there again in a few weeks when the place dries out... perhaps.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,284
All i can say is WOW , if this is a grade 1 S/T . i'll need to go to the gym for the nxt 1

my pics are rubbish and none of the bike getting wet , remember i was punching a bow wave right for you when you were picking her up

It was a Epic day , with the new name i have , im going for 50 kicks sean-0
or >> any1 got a lil milk for my lil baby

thanks Bruce , Rob , till we meet again
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
Great RR guys... this is one of my "new" areas for riding. Goose Feather introduced me to the area.

But man... you guys sure put the Adventure in to ADV.

I noticed the 20:40 hours home time... er are you in the dog house?

My effort in the border ranges last weekend that had me home at 20:30 hours got me in the poo with the War Office. Spent yesterday morning having a short ride to Mt Glorious with Goose Feather for coffee. Hardly an ADV ride.. he brought his Harley.

I must get up there again in a few weeks when the place dries out... perhaps.
All's good on my home front Happy. I called from Nanango so she's cool.
It is great riding up that way. There are lots of tracks we haven't found yet. We just need to spend the time. I'm not sure if you can get through from the top of the Western Branch to the Nanango turnoff. There are a few river crossings up there too.
Might have to do another recce...

Cheers
Rob
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Good to see you fellas getting out there in the thick of it.
Plenty of adventure with so many closed roads about.
McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,887
Interesting stuff HH. Looks like a while before SEQ is back to what it was. After a similar event down this way in the winter of 07 I reckon the bush is just now looking like it did. Nice report.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,863
Hey McAdoo how are things?

If I had the time and a 4wd to get in there I would have liked to go up and give the old farmers a hand,they aren't getting help like people in the cities.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAdoo View Post
Good to see you fellas getting out there in the thick of it.
Plenty of adventure with so many closed roads about.
G'day Paul. Long time no see. We just wanted to see how everything in those areas was going. There are lots of river crossings up that way and most have been destroyed. Its going to take a long time to get it back to 1/2 of what it was.

Are you going to Eidsvold this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrossed View Post
Interesting stuff HH. Looks like a while before SEQ is back to what it was. After a similar event down this way in the winter of 07 I reckon the bush is just now looking like it did. Nice report.
Hi Chris, The WBR has something like 23 river crossings and I think from what we saw yeasterday, most of them have been washed away / destroyed. The EBR has probably a similar amount. As they are back roads I'm sure they will be low priority to have permanant fixes in place. I'm sure the locals will be pushing hard to have it done ASAP though. I give it 3-5 years.

Cheers
Rob
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Strummer
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,158
Holy crap

Geez guys, looks like the next Maidenwell weekend could be delayed for a while!!!

What a disaster zone, sort of glad I missed it, but sort of pissed I missed it! A real marathon ride for one day, and a great RR as usual Rob.

Whew

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,322
Sounds like quite a day. Great report, the damage from the flooding is amazing, it will take years to recover.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hey McAdoo how are things?
real good, Cruz. What a summer, been flat out getting out for a ride with all the rain.

How are your new forks going?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
McAdoo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Are you going to Eidsvold this year?

For Sure, Rob. It was a great ride last year.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,863
Paul, the forks are great thanks to AZ-Twin sending them to me from the USA. The bike is as it should have been sold in the first place. Had the Ohlins worked on by MPE as well and made a big difference over the factory settings.

There are a few XCH owners around the world finally getting their bikes sorted out, AZ just fitted a set of black Marz 45s to his bike too plus a heap of other good gear.

All the trails up in there are so damaged and changed it is like riding a whole new place, so plenty to still see and take pics of.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Geez guys, looks like the next Maidenwell weekend could be delayed for a while!!!
I'm sure we could cobble something together to miss all the river crossings if we needed to.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Big day out there lads

Good to see some pics of all the damage up there. Could have told you that both Branch Roads were impassable but you would've gone anyway for a look

Well done