User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Our way to Andorra - a ride report

I will start to write down my RR.....i hope i can fix it!

Actually we would travel into the dolomit mountains.
weeks ago we startet to prepare....studied maps....choose places for overnight and contacted some motels vie email.....we fixed our routes....and then started our 3 week vacation.

already on our first vacation day we get a little bit nervous because the weather forecast for the dolomit mountains said nothing good about the weather there! they said rain and snow and really cold weather.
here in germany we had the same weather...and this in august....ok...we had no snow

we thought "ok...in a few days the weather can change complete and we decided to wait .

we checked daily the weather forecast for the dolomit mountains and we seemed that the weather will not change...absolutely not...damn

then on a friday they promised really good weather for the saturday....but here in our region and not in the dolos.

ok...what we should do now?

we where high motivated and decided to have look at the map where it could be better weather as in the dolos. we found out that the weather will be really good in a country called france.

not bad, we thought, but its around the corner. we looked a little more on the map and we found a very little and tiny country in the pyrenaes between france and spain, called andorra.

we checked again the weatherforecast and saw that everything will be fine for the next few days...so we had green light to start the trip.

here we go...the saturday morning came and we had the best weather we could wish.

the trip began.

bike ready to go and packed up for 2 people and 7days

my friends bike and his girlfriends bike
V-Twin-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY 1
we crossed the A5 Autobahn to Karlsruhe - Straßburg - Mulhouse - Besancon to Geneve the first overnight place.
the first overnights in Geneve and Ferney-Voltaire we booked from home and the coming overnights we decided to book them from day to day from a internetcoffee we find on the road somewhere.

the first part to Mulhouse over the A5 without special happenings.
by Mulhouse we left the autobahn to take the country road to besancon.

a very nice and idyllic country road which was really worth to take it.

the first traffic circles appeared and the countrysite getting frencher and frencher.

the country road and one of a lot tree alleys....we where nearly alone on the road

then after mulhouse we started to become hungry and on a circle traffic we found a pizzahouse where 2 bikes where parked. we decided to get there and have a break.

a hungry biker can be really agressiv

we eat a really good pizza and that in france.

now it was afternoon and we had 30degrees....it was so damn hot and we would go to hell but not wear our jackets....so go to hell you damn jacket.

we reached besancon...not a nice town...remember me a little on the eastern countries. everywhere ugly big houses....and all looked a little communistic
we didnt care about and went through very fast.

after we passed the eastern zone of besancon, we came on the beautifulliest and lonesomest road somewhere in france.

this was the beginning of the "haute jura mountain region" .
we passed flowered grassland and small rivers

Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Sweet!

I'm Hooked.
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Great introductory pics

Did you go there to do some moto gear shopping?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

we rode the direction to Geneve.......crossed country roads a little french villages we count them all.

then we had a short break before the mountain cames (we didnt know about this mountain at the moment)

we bought something to drink and thank god the french people make pictureas all over their drinks so we could see what we buy

we had the break on a shodow place and damaged a little the ballustrade behind us....uups!

it was so damn hot...over 30 degrees

Thats me on the left side looking a little damaged!!

we let the last pharmacy signs behind us

the last french war veteran....

had a look behind me to see if everybody is there...

and the we began to drive into the haut jura mountains to geneve

nothing going on here....no dinos...no cars....

a short break somewhere on the mountain

after a few miles climbing the mountain...we saw this....the Mont Blanc himself....suddenly he appeared

on the way down to geneve.....a really awesome pass with awesome curves.....and the the view from above....the Geneve lake wit Mount Blanc in the back.....not bad for the first day

we arrived late in the evening our motel in geneve...parked the bikes.....drunk some beer....had something to eat...........Good night

my girl on the left and my buddy on the right

here is the first part to the geneve lake 550km

Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

after a really good night and a good french breakfast with croissants and french coffee i cleared up very fast.

would bring my bike around the corner and as i started the engine i heard there is a abnormal sound....very loud and clanking.
better to have a look whats wrong!

uups....looks that i lost a damned but importand screw which where holding my pipe at the cylinder.

after i gave a very loud scream from me which waked up the rest of the motel guests....my wingman an i decided to try to fix it.

normally not a big deal...but we forgot our tools at home when we started....ah....who cares...i care!!!!

but hey...whats that....its the srew we found lying on the motorblock she was there the whole time and said nothing to us....damn screw

i went to the reception and asked the friendly woman in english, french and german if she would have some tools for us to fix the pipes.
she had tools but hey....the only thing you could fix with those tools....you could open a bottle of beer...thats it!!

but we could fix the screw back on her old place somehow....dont ask!

after that we started and decided if we find a gas station or a garage on our way to stop and to fix the screw how it has to be

at the motel

better on the back...you never know

i forgot to tell you that on sundays everything is closed in europe.

after a few miles with this damn screw we saw some fire fighters staying outside their fire station and nothing to do.

okidoki i thougt and left the road to say hi to the fire fighters...and ask them if they maybe would have some usable tools.

and you know what they said......they said "sorry guys we have no tolls here"

"but no problem" said a young firefighter "i will call my girlfriend and tell her to bring my own tools from home".

after 2 cigarettes and smalltalk, we could not really understand each other, his girlfriend came and had some good usable tools in the car for us....woohoo.....the screw was fixed easily and we could ride.

i said thank you and wanted to give them some bucks for the coffeecashbox...but they wouldnt take the money and wished us a good trip!!

my friend the fire fighter

V-Twin-Maniac screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 07:59 AM
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
philofax
lifetime noob on wheels

Oddometer: 418
subscribed
Sardinia, the Italian beauty in fall 2009
A country a day keeps the boredom away, Ride Report / Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Germany Aug 2010
philofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

we crossed a few times the river Rhone

then a few miles on the french autobahn to bring back the lost time. this paying stations will be never our friend!

take the Autobahn from geneve to Valence ......we had more traffic jam then someting else

in valence we left the blocked autobahn...we where really nerved about this traffic jam i can tell you! and then by an mistake we landed on one of the most beautiful pass roads.....since the last day

a really tight country lane

absolutely alone on the road...sometimes the cows wondered about us...and the horses laught about us

a helmed group picture

after a lots of km and great curves the hunger came back...like every day at the same time

i had to stop somewhere because ma luggage began to wandering down the bike....accidentally on this place we found a village minisupermarked.

it was sunday and the shop was open....not bad....on front of the marked we found a table and some chairs and so we decided to have little picnic with french cheese, sausages and good french bread...and especially for us two man....a damn cold beer

if every day would be like this it would be really fine

the Highlight of the day:

V-Twin-Maniac screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 07:33 AM
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

after the lunchbreak it was neccessary to ride on to reach our destination for that day.

we would absolutely ride across the Ardeche river before the sun goes down

and hey....everybody where wondering...but we found the Ardeche river after miles of confused driving in the hot sun

this is a must do when you are here in this region

alone again on the road somewhere in the Ardeche mountains

in the evening the sun began to go down....is it possible that we dilly dally along the way?

i smelled it long time before i see them....goats on the road...puuuh...they smelld like hell!!

heres their man...and he was the stinky one

i rememberead why i dont like goat cheese

after the smell attack we hurried a little up but not too fast so that we could enjoy the end of the day along the Ardeche river.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

now it seemed that the the day would goes by.....we let the Ardeche river and valley behind us.....to reach our destination for that day....Montpellier...where a cold drink...food and a bed are waiting for us!

but we had a few miles to ride to reach the golden holy grail filled with cooold beeer

nice colours and light

the last villages for that day........

in a few minutes somebody will turn out the light.....

ups...its dark now..... but still unbelievable warm

last picture of the day

2nd part from Geneve ....along the Ardeche river to our day destination Ferney-Voltaire near Montpellier..... 510km.....our home for the next two days

Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

a roundtrip throug the harbourcity of Sete to the city of Cap d Agde

Sete....the harborcity at the sea...a very nice, busy and friendly old town.....very loud there

it was really hot and a lots of coffees outside said "come and have a break"...and thats what we did!

after that we made a little roundwalk but it was too loud and busy for us

ok enough is enough....went back to the bikes and back on the road. the destination was the city of Cap d Agde......no plan was there would be...bit we didnt care...the name of the town sound good enough for us to ride there.

we ride along the coast.....jumped a little bit into the really cold sea...

the Cap from above

had some sandwiches...and they where not really good...but expensive

by the way...here is one of the privat beaches which we never saw

we didnt care about...what would you do on the beach..after lying on the beach you will have the sand everywhere...nononono

in the city we found a Internetcafe ....booked a hotel for 2 days in Andorra....and now back to our motel.....hungry...thursty...tired!

direction to our motel in Ferney-Voltaire....did i tell that this mystic sound came back from my engine?...but i ignored it better i did not ignore it

the heaven was getting darker and darker and flashes came down....

what would i tell?...ah....got it...in a small farmers village my screw i told you before where fallen up again...this stupid thing!

i didnt care about...the sound was not too bad.....

we had to stay on a red traffic light and i saw an Merdes Benz Garage car beside me waiting for the green traffic light too.

i thought its worht to try it and so i knocked on the cars window and a guy watche me a little confused and...maybe a little scared!

i asked him if he have some tools and if he can help me....he could!

he parked his car besides the mainstreet jumped out of his car and i tried to tell him whats wrong...after a few handsigns he understand...went back into his car and brozght a lots of tools with him!

we fixed the screw in a few minutes and i asked him where i can buy some tools to take the with me for the case of need.

i gave tim 10bucks and he brought us to an supermarked where i could buy the expensivest tool i ever bought for money.....i wont tell you what i payed for a ratch

but ok...i had a tool now which was good to fix the screw again when its necessary

then back to the motel in the rain and bolts and flashes

Roundtrip Ferney-Voltaire - Sete- Cap d Agde 130km
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4
Sleeped very well......checked the screw again after the breakfast....the day is nice...the sun is shining.....have a short cigarrette and then lets ride!

first we had to find a gas station...which is sometimes a little problem...then you need some windows knowledge base to handle wit this gas staion computers

sometimes its a really big problem to find a gas station in france...especially when no town is close to you!

but mr tomtom finds gas staions everywhere....thank you!!

went trough the city of Montpellier
nice town...everythings looks brandnew

the first destination is the medieval town of Carcassonne.

this was the only shadow i found while we had a short break

before we ride to the medieval city we decided to have a look at a harley store along the way to buy some new screws for my cylinderflange in a city called Beziers....thats what we tried...

this sign says "nobodys there today and nobody will be there for the next few weeks

okidoki...no new screws...no dealer shirts...no nothing

some cold drinks are a very good idea when you ride by over 30 degrees

after a few hours feeling like a broiler in the sun we reached Carcassonne...but hey...where is this medieval thing...this is it not...or?

we found the way to the medieval city ....there is iz...above on that hill...lets ride

a lots of parking places...but no one for us...damn!

we found some place close to a bus station...but what will we do with all that luggage?

no problem...my buddy says he will not go in this old city he better will wait outside sitting in the shadow and keep his eyes on our luggage!

the rest of us decided to walk into that touristcatch

a very impressive old castle...which is really looking like new...unbelievable!!.......its really worth to go in.....but the traffic inside is a absolutely madness

this traffic light is not a too bad idea:-))

everywhere nice little shops which too expensive things

her we go rush hour

and now lets go outside please!...........Puuuh...we got it...!

we had a very nice walk over the cemetary...very nice!! a lots of people there too....but not On the walkway

back to our parking place...had some hot water...and cilled some time

back on the road again............
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the way from Carcassonne to Andorra was really empty...and we enjoyed this soo much after this tourist-castle-thing.....

mountainroads which you will never find again....passroads so nice and quiet....

in a village named "Chalabre" we found a little bar ....coffee and two beers..thats all we need for the moment

mmmhhh....

thats how the french people feel in a little bar in the middle of nowhere...we liked it very much!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

....its time to fill up the fueltanks...the only one gas station since the last few hours

we had really luck...the gas station man came out after we payed...closed up the gas station said "have a nice day" and went home....we where not one minute to early on this place...thank you gas station man

its getting colder and we pulled on our jackets...the first time since we started from home

always the same picture...3 bikes...4 people...and nothing and noboby else .....ok...a dead frog where lying at the gas station

looks like the Pyrenaes Mountains...

aha....to the left...

the passroad to andorra has all what you need as a biker...

the Andorrian border

after the border it was really really cold...we pulled on all we had

Montpellier - Carcassonne 155km

Carcassonne - Andorra 170km
Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
V-Twin-Maniac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

tomorrow more from this RR....i need a bath now