Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
That thread is what prompted me to start this one. It sounds like the TKC lasts quite a bit longer on a GS than a KTM.....for some reason. Curious to see how the Kenda holds up in comparison.
The 19/17 tubeless TKC's that the GS uses are great; completely different from the 21/18 sized tubed TKC's, which suck. I really can't understand why people buy them. They're overpriced, under-performing, short-lived tires. The 19/17's are really so much better, it's amazing that they are manufactured by the same company.

I'm curious about these Kendas, though. They look really good. I predict they will perform about like the Mefos, and last half as long.

I'm running a Michelin T63 front with a Mefo rear on my SE, and can't imagine a better 50/50 set.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
The 19/17 tubeless TKC's that the GS uses are great; completely different from the 21/18 sized tubed TKC's, which suck. I really can't understand why people buy them. They're overpriced, under-performing, short-lived tires. The 19/17's are really so much better, it's amazing that they are manufactured by the same company.
Really? Huh. Is this common knowledge I've missed somehow? Now that I have a set of 19/17 rims it's good to know what options are out there and how they perform. I was well aware of the TKC80s for the 19/17 but didn't know they were significantly different.

Thanks for the tid-bit!

Looking forward to some real-world feedback on these Kendas...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
racer49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Really? Huh. Is this common knowledge I've missed somehow? Now that I have a set of 19/17 rims it's good to know what options are out there and how they perform. I was well aware of the TKC80s for the 19/17 but didn't know they were significantly different.

Thanks for the tid-bit!

Stands to reason, tubless tire carcase would be stiffer. I have heard that the tube type TKC is really flimsy.
racer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post

Thanks for the tid-bit!

I had a 2002 GS-Adv, and it came new with the tubeless TKC's. They were amazingly decent off-road, and on-road I drug my Jesse's. They tend to fall in, but you get used to it. I think they would make a great set of 50/50 touring tires for a 19/17 wheelset; but if you're going to run tubes, you may as well run the stock wheels with Mefos, Heidenaus, or T63 front and Mefo/Heidenau rear.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Last weekend I took a 2300km ride to Southern Ontario for the 2011 EOAR. The day before I left, I pulled off the Dunlop 606F/908R combination and put on a set of Big Blocks thinking they would be a better choice for the on-road portions (~1500km).

Verdict?

Front tire is fine. Rode OK on the highway and is pretty good in mud/gravel. Although I haven't tried any real high speed with it yet, I think I like it better than the Mefo Explorer I ran last summer.

The rear however is a total write off. Worn down well below the wear bars. My riding partner left his 908 on and his hardly shows additional wear.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 443
Thanks PS-RagE,

Appreciate your very clear report. My Mefo explorer front is cupping very bad after only 1500 miles. Back tire is Mefo explorer too and it is showing only slight wear at this point. I'll add that I did not balance the tires but tried tire beads. Maybe a mistake. The tire seemed to be balance OK but never felt as good as a Scorpion on the street.

I will replace it with a Kenda 784 (Big Block) and balance normally this time.
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,003
I installed a rear BB just before a Canadian excursion that I just got back from..... won't be doing that again!! just over 1700 miles about 50-50 dirt pavement and it's done. Too bad too because I was really impressed with the performance on and off road. At one point in the trip a group of us took a wrong turn and ended up in a black, mucky swamp. The traction was pretty good considering it wasn't a full knob and it was pretty worn at that point.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Well sheet. I just bought a pair, 170$ to my door. We'll see, I can cook any tire on one tank of fuel if I want to. Remember "Days of Thunder." But more to the point slow and smooth, smooth is fast, I'm changing my riding style to get better life out of my kit. Spinning a tire isnt fast, its a hoot, but its far from fast.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanout View Post
Well sheet. I just bought a pair, 170$ to my door. We'll see, I can cook any tire on one tank of fuel if I want to. Remember "Days of Thunder." But more to the point slow and smooth, smooth is fast, I'm changing my riding style to get better life out of my kit. Spinning a tire isnt fast, its a hoot, but its far from fast.
I tried my hardest not to play hooligan with this tire because I wanted to make sure it lasted the whole trip. Once I saw how fast it was going I was very careful. I suspect under my "normal" riding style it would be done around 1k.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
raafrebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I just put a set on my 990. the difference off road is like chalk and cheese. they are that much better than the scorpoins off road. Of course they will wear quiker , they are nobbies!
but thats only the rear.
I thought the scorpions were crap off road.
on road , they took a little geting used to. you have to brake a little earlier and if you want you can slide around a little if you gas it up on smooth ashfelt! lots a fun!
I went for a 500km rid last weekend 30% off road, 70% road, and the front still has all the moulding beeds in tact! doesnt show too much wear on the rear.
Im pretty hard on tyres as when im in the dirt, i like to spin the rear were ever i can. I only got 4000km from rear scorpoin.
I know everyone here has their own opinion, but i dont care how long they last. for only $150 for a rear, the fun factor out weighs cost!
I recon i will get at least 1500-2000km from the rear.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
factory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by raafrebel View Post
I just put a set on my 990. the difference off road is like chalk and cheese. they are that much better than the scorpoins off road. Of course they will wear quiker , they are nobbies!
but thats only the rear.
I thought the scorpions were crap off road.
on road , they took a little geting used to. you have to brake a little earlier and if you want you can slide around a little if you gas it up on smooth ashfelt! lots a fun!
I went for a 500km rid last weekend 30% off road, 70% road, and the front still has all the moulding beeds in tact! doesnt show too much wear on the rear.
Im pretty hard on tyres as when im in the dirt, i like to spin the rear were ever i can. I only got 4000km from rear scorpoin.
I know everyone here has their own opinion, but i dont care how long they last. for only $150 for a rear, the fun factor out weighs cost!
I recon i will get at least 1500-2000km from the rear.
Hi mate - where did you get a rear for $150 - in Oz or did you order from US?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #27
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I put a Kenda Big Block on the rear of my Suzuki VStrom 650. Mixed dirt/gravel/sealed road. Performed well on and off road. Worn out by 2700 kms (1678 miles)
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #28
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Hate to say, but I do not like the BB at all. Really no better then a TKC and didn't last as long. My opinion is that they are a in between tire, except instead of being good on/off road, they suck at both. Just my experience. Others may have better luck then I did. I do run tubeless on mine hoping the side walls are stiffer for airing down. I only ran one on back, never the front. Gonna tear the knobs off a Tera-flex next
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Big Block

I had big hopes for this tire, and cooked one rear off on a 1200 mile ride from Nevada to the KLIM Rallye (Idaho) last year. I do hear that Kenda is listening and I will try the tire again as I'm told they willl be mixing a harder compound. Price is great, but life is poor... They did work well on pavement, and quite well in the dirt.

Time will tell...

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Nver tried one and just a dumb uneducated opinion but I would expect short life no matter what they make it out of, it doesn't have enough of a contact patch IMO. I think the only thing that makes a 908 different from all the other knobby choices we have is the big center contact area from the + shaped center lugs where the bike spends most of it's time, just my .02.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote