User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
badcarma OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Best Battery for 1150 GS w/abs

Iam having trouble with the ABS on the 2000 1150 GS i have recently abtained. I have read that the battery causes the failure most of the time. The previous owner said the battery is about 5 years old,it starts good but i've been keeping it on a charger but from what i understand it can start fine but still cauce ABS failure. So what battery is best to replace it with to help with this problem. and i know this may not fix the ABS but the battery is 5 years old and needs replaced anyway. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
SilverV
GA/SC State Line

Oddometer: 88
Odyssey PC 680. Recently installed one in my 04 GSA. Do a search here and you'll find many happy customers. Got mine at a local Batteries Plus store. They even matched the internet price from Amazon. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
SilverV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,834
New battery will fix the problem. If you get it started and cruise down the road with the blinking lights then stop and restart the light will proly go away. The ABS needs to see a certain voltage in the startup procedure - which your 5 year old battery can't deliver.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
RedWolf_Texas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I just installed the Odyssey PC680 on my '97 1100GS this past Saturday.
Starts easier & no ABS initialization failure.

It was a bit shorter than the Exide/BMW gel cel that has been in it for 2+ years.
I had to add some foam padding between the hold down strap & the battery.

I got mine mail order from Portable Power Systems in Colorado.
$106.50 + $11 for FedEx home delivery - they delivered it on Saturday.
http://www.portablepower.com/
RedWolf_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
obadiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Consider a BatteriesPlus purchase, I had a great experience with the battery just like RedWolf, and paid about twenty more. But the warranty is easier to fulfill... not that you will, but two years of walk-in service at any location... which for me was worth the (small) price difference. Just walk (or ride in this case) in, they'll test it. If it tests bad, they hand you a new one. For me its kind of like insurance.

Obadiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf_Texas View Post
I just installed the Odyssey PC680 on my '97 1100GS this past Saturday.
Starts easier & no ABS initialization failure.

It was a bit shorter than the Exide/BMW gel cel that has been in it for 2+ years.

I got mine mail order from Portable Power Systems in Colorado.
$106.50 + $11 for FedEx home delivery - they delivered it on Saturday.
http://www.portablepower.com/
Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806
You might consider cleaning the starter while you are at it. Had to replace mine last year ('01 1150). It pulled the battery down enough to warrant changing out the 3 year old gel cell battery.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverV View Post
Odyssey PC 680. Recently installed one in my 04 GSA. Do a search here and you'll find many happy customers. Got mine at a local Batteries Plus store. They even matched the internet price from Amazon. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
Look no further...the Odyssey is the best.

Also, you would be wise to follow the other posters suggestion of servicing your starter motor. Pay special attention to brushes and commutator as well as lubing....a properly serviced starter will deliver more torque at lower current...
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
BykRydr
ILL - INI

Oddometer: 62
I need a new battery this spring as well. Mine still starts the bike, but the ABS initialization is intolerable. Is the Odessey a drop in, or are modifications required? I have it in my head that I read somewhere that some mods are necessary to get it to fit?? Thanks.

Previous Bikes:
Honda XR 75
Honda CB 350 Four
Honda CB 550 Four
Honda Nighthawk 750
'98 Kawasaki Vulcan 800

Current: /01 BMW 1150 GS
BykRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
You might consider cleaning the starter while you are at it. Had to replace mine last year ('01 1150). It pulled the battery down enough to warrant changing out the 3 year old gel cell battery.
++
You may damage the new battery if you install w/o paying attention to the starter.
The starter will probably need repair or replacement after 40-50k miles. You may not save much $ re-building. New Valeo to replace the no. D6RA55 is no. D6RA75. It, and/or parts for repair can be had at EME. John is very helpful.

The starter is an easy 15 minute pull. There are two small allen hex drive bolts retaining it, one of which is behind, so you have to reach behind. TIP: before replacing, check to see if the starter bolts are tight. Loose starter bolts may be the only issue.

Caution: always disconnect the battery ground before working with or around the starter because the heavy solenoid wire is directly connected to battery + terminal.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,834
Be sure to keep your receipt - maybe make a copy so it does not fade. BatteriesPlus does not keep you in their system. DAMHIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadiah View Post
Consider a BatteriesPlus purchase, I had a great experience with the battery just like RedWolf, and paid about twenty more. But the warranty is easier to fulfill... not that you will, but two years of walk-in service at any location... which for me was worth the (small) price difference. Just walk (or ride in this case) in, they'll test it. If it tests bad, they hand you a new one. For me its kind of like insurance.

Obadiah
Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykRydr View Post
I need a new battery this spring as well. Mine still starts the bike, but the ABS initialization is intolerable. Is the Odessey a drop in, or are modifications required? I have it in my head that I read somewhere that some mods are necessary to get it to fit?? Thanks.

R1150GS: You may find that the + cable is too short. Odyssey sells heavy copper L adapters. You can save money by buying two 8" (aprox) heavy copper strips from the hardware/Lowes. These are sold as house ground straps for use inside breaker boxes. Get two. Custom fit by drilling and bending, shortening the copper. Attache one end of the two ply cu to the battery terminal then sandwich your original cable in the other end and secure the mc lead with a grade 8 bolts. Insulate well with heat shrink or self fusing tape,

R1100GS: Same as above, except the ground wire is the one which is too short. Alternately buy a short 4 ga switch to wire jumper to extend the ground. Join directly to the battery lead or use a Hellla 500 battery cut off switch (advantages: high amp Odyssey charging, Motronic re-set, storage, anti-theft)

If any of the oem battery leads tips are not flat then you may have to flatten to work
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 791
Thumb Long living PC680

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcarma View Post
Iam having trouble with the ABS on the 2000 1150 GS i have recently abtained. I have read that the battery causes the failure most of the time. The previous owner said the battery is about 5 years old,it starts good but i've been keeping it on a charger but from what i understand it can start fine but still cauce ABS failure. So what battery is best to replace it with to help with this problem. and i know this may not fix the ABS but the battery is 5 years old and needs replaced anyway. Thanks.
My 2001 GS started the same trouble with the ABS not initializing; sure sign that the battery is going south. My battery is/was a PC680, 8 years old. Needless to say it will be replaced with another PC680! In eight years of duty the non-initializing was the first bit of trouble I had out of the PC680.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
pschuyler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
+1 on the PC680, it fixed my ABS warning, and it cold starts better than my old WestCO.
pschuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 188
Shorai Lithium Ion Battery, 18 amp hour, 270 CCA, saves 8-10 lbs over regular battery, 2 year warranty. Lasts two to four times the life of regular battery. http://www.shoraipower.com/ http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?

simoneau screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 12:54 PM
simoneau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneau View Post
Shorai Lithium Ion Battery, 18 amp hour, 270 CCA, saves 8-10 lbs over regular battery, 2 year warranty. Lasts two to four times the life of regular battery. http://www.shoraipower.com/ http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?
Too much $$$$.
def is online now   Reply With Quote