User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
motorcyclefanatic OP
The name says it all

Oddometer: 728
For the Inmates in the Snowy North: A Beautiful Day of Riding in Sunny Florida

The weather was perfect here yesterday (Sunday, 1/30/11) in our little slice of paradise, so I talked Barbie into taking a ride up to Oak Hill for lunch at one of our favorite places, Goodrich's, on the banks of the Indian River. Our route for the day was to take SR50 from our home in Christmas to Titusville, where we'd take US1 up through Mims and Scottsmore and on to Oak Hill.

The route we took to get there. We saw lots of bikes on the way, no wonder.

We didn't take any pictures on the way. But here we are at the restaurant getting ready to leave. This part of the parking lot was covered up with bikes when we arrived, should have taken a pic then.

Here's a picture of the sign, and one of the front of the place, so you'll recognize it if you happen to be in the area.

We had a great lunch of conch chowder and fried butterfly shrimp, with key lime pie for dessert, (sorry no pics of that). A guy was flying an ultra-light aircraft out over the river while we ate for the amusement of the patrons. We hung around and watched the show before waddling out to the bikes for our return trip.

For the ride back we took SR3 out through the wildlife refuge and across the Haulover Canal drawbridge. It's a wonderful ride with minimal traffic and great views. We sometimes bring the enduros out here, you can ride dirt roads all day, and even take one of them to the beach.

That's the drawbridge behind my wife. We've turned off the main road onto a service road that leads to the boat ramp. My son and I used to spend every free weekend fishing out here when he was little.

While trying to make a turn around, we got stuck in the line where people wait to launch their boats. It's pretty narrow with a curb on each side, so rather than try something stupid, we enjoyed sitting there watching people take their boats in and out of the water. Sometimes this can be quite comical.

After getting out of the boat ramp area, we continued on towards Titusville and stopped on the east side of the Indian River at Parrish Park and hung out for a while.

There's usually a lot of people playing around in the water with jet skis, wind surfers, and the like, but not today?

They're building a new high-rise bridge to replace the swing bridge that's been there as long as I can remember. Wouldn't you know it, we got caught by the swing bridge on the way out.

Here we are back home, safe and sound. We really enjoyed the ride, and hope ya'll enjoy the pictures.

motorcyclefanatic screwed with this post 01-31-2011 at 03:49 PM
motorcyclefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,705
You suck!! Great bikes by the way. Two of my favourites. It is about 50F here today, sunny and not raining for once
Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Yea I hear you

I was riding in Ocala National Forest Yesterday on my 530. It was the finest weather you could ever have. No clouds, no wind, no humidity about 72 degrees. The best time to be in Florida. Blasting down about 24 miles of trails before I hit some pavement. Saw a group of Honda Goldwings and Harleys come by so I dropped in the back of them to the next trail head. I guess the guy at the rear was surprised when I popped up beside him about four seconds later running about 70. Headed towards Eureka if anyone knows where that is. Hung out for about 5 miles then hit another trail and did about another 20 miles. The plated dirt bikes are the better than sliced bread. Blasting down flat sandy dirt roads at 80 is fun too.
5 speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,274
Nice to see some greenery for a change. My mailbox has about 5ft of snow behind it and the rest of the yard has at least two. I took my KLR 250 up and down the driveway a few times yesterday, practicing turning with front brake locked and spinning the rear. It was beautiful 20 degrees F and sunny. Wait, tomorrow we are getting 4-8" of fresh powder with a foot or more to follow on Wednesday. Come up and ride here

Cool pics.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Thanks for sharing! We get down that way every year. Never been to Goodrich's. Will have to check it out.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Beautiful pictures. Looks like nice riding country.

2013 KLR 650
2012 BMW R1200RT
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Thumb

Thanks, I needed that.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
How rude...

...of you to gloat like that, making the poor Northerners suffer. I would never, never gloat about how here in SoCal it's been in the high 60's and 70's for a couple of weeks straight and how it's absolutely PERFECT riding weather. Nope, I would never say how the 33 north of Ojai is gloriously smooth and the mountains are all lush with greenery and everyone I passed was smiling and waving. LOL

As I read how my old hometown of Boston is getting yet another dumping of the white stuff I will pine away for it as I ride my bike home from work and plan a ride in the hills and canyons for this weekend. hehehehe.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,192
Sheeeet, it was like 40 degrees today, helped melt all the ice from last night
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
my bike is till parked until i can get out of florida. i hate flat straight roads...but i was down in the cocoa beach area--kitesurfing :)

actually i live in jacksonville which is about the fartherest north you can get in florida..it's actually south georgia for all practical purposes. nothing pretty about our area that make me want to ride. i've quit riding and sold my bikes 2 times in the past because of our geography.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
motorcyclefanatic OP
The name says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
my bike is till parked until i can get out of florida. i hate flat straight roads...but i was down in the cocoa beach area--kitesurfing :)

actually i live in jacksonville which is about the fartherest north you can get in florida..it's actually south georgia for all practical purposes. nothing pretty about our area that make me want to ride. i've quit riding and sold my bikes 2 times in the past because of our geography.
That's why we have a cabin in the north Georgia mountains. But it's hard to beat the weather down here this time of year.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
feline
Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer: 397
Nice! I almost didn't recognize the phenomena in your photos called blue sky and sun!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Tell your wife I said she has a nice Ascot!
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #14
motorcyclefanatic OP
The name says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
Tell your wife I said she has a nice Ascot!
She gets that a lot.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
GS750T
GS750T

Oddometer: 366
You guys suck, but thanks for sharing the pics.

07 klx 250
GS750T is offline   Reply With Quote