Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #31
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Outstanding! I love seein' new guys, old guys, gals, etc. getting out there and doing it! Like you said Wyobrew, get to living or get to dying - it seems like most of the folks on this site are livin' life. Outstanding! And good luck. If you ride the LAB2V or any of the other D37 rides or races this year let me know and we'll trade stories and talk some BS.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #32
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 462
Good times... but a DNF

Thanks for all the comments, advice and support. I think Tbones comment on RELAX is moving up the priority list.
I finally got a chance to take the new 250XC out and ride. After driving to PHX, I got my brother in law to go with me for a short ride to refresh my riding skills (or lack thereof). The 250 is noticeably lighter and the power delivery is much different than my 450. I felt comfortable on the bike in only a few miles of riding. Gravel sand washes were not an issue, but a damper might have helped a bit as the front end is a little wild. (may be driver induced)

RACE DAY:
I got registered and through tech early in the morning so I had plenty of time to chill and relax. My starting row was close to an hour later than first row. Less riders to pass me.
I did get some helmet cam and will load it up asap. The first few miles I was gripping the bars like it was a winning lottery ticket. Thank God the 2stroke buzz reminded me to let go and RELAX. My line selection sucked, my shifting and gear selection sucked and my focus on the trail ahead sucked as I was driving only 5 feet in front of my wheel. Once I started breathing on a regular basis, relaxed my grip, and looked up and out, I started to go faster and ride much better. A silly little grin started creeping in...
Only one minor crash and a broken visor from one of the low hanging branches. I got passed by anything and everything that was behind me, but that never bothered me. (Ok, the 14 year old on the 100 smoking me made me chuckle inside and ride a tad harder).
Got back for the next section with plenty of time. I am not used to riding hard, then stopping for 30-40 minutes, then riding hard again. I prefer to just keep plugging away and keep my rhythm up. On the second of three segments, I felt much more relaxed. Our starting point and route was the same for the first few miles, then diverts to a separate loop. I knew I was improving my speed because it took a lot longer for the row behind me to pass me.
That's when it happened...
I hear a rider approaching and I kindly ease wide on the trail and as he passes me he yells out, " your muffler is falling off!". I pulled off the trail and low and behold, two of my silencer bolts had become non existent and my silencer was getting bounced between my tire and fender on every bump.
A quick note; I always ride with my waist belt, always... except for this race. I had one small zip tie that I had left in my pants pocket, so I cobbled it together. That lasted about three whoops or so. I was a bit pissed that whoever put that silencer on must not have used locktite. Then I remembered it was ME.
I headed back to across the desert re attaching my silencer every so often and wondered why a guy from Wyoming would not have bailing wire with him? We always have wire, I think it is a state law.
It took me a while to get back to the trailer and then I realized I also had a flat front tire. I knew I was screwed. I am glad it was my own fault and I could not blame or bitch at someone else for my DNF.
Prepping a bike is important for every ride, race prepping needs to be a little more thorough from my side.

SUMMARY:
I really enjoyed the race. I will still get a chance to see my dad while I am down in PHX as Sunday is his birthday and quite possibly his last. I rode just like a guy who hasn't been on a bike since Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to doing another race.
The difference for me, is trail riding is fun, but I never seem to find my limits and have the death grip, cotton mouth and intensity in my riding like I did during the race. Again, it was not my objective to win or even be fast, just to finish, ride safe, and become a better rider.

Two out of three ain't bad...

Wyobrew screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 10:39 AM
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #33
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 864
Ok - the first one is down and out of the way. Relaxation is certainly the key though many times it is easier to say than do! Well done and glad to hear you could see your dad.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
The first race is always a bitch, but it gives you a real perspective on how your doing whether that be your fitness, bike skill, or in this case bike prep. As Neduro put it, racing is brutally honest. But after a few days, maybe a week youll get back out there and ride some and at the end of the ride all you will be able to think about is that race and like a bad girlfriend you can't forget it. It'll stick in the back of your mind until you get back up on that line, bar to bar with all the other competitors trying to get it out of your mind.

Racing is very addictive. You'll learn to love it

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew View Post

Prepping a bike is important for every ride, race prepping needs to be a little more thorough from my side.
I learned that lesson in my first race too. I had partially broken my fender in a fairly bad crash on the LAB2V and did not repair it before heading to my first race. I consequently lost the rear tail light, blinkers and license plate. The last time I went out I had no problems and I hope it stays that way.

Don't worry about the DNF - I suspect you've learned some good lessons and will not make the same mistakes again. I know I did. +1 on the locktite. I went for a training ride once and my handlebars loosened up and I didn't have the 8mm hex in my tool bag (I do now). The first thing I did was locktite those bolts and now I locktite just about everything.

Bailing wire - that's something I should put a little of in my toolbag.

Quote:
SUMMARY:
The difference for me, is trail riding is fun, but I never seem to find my limits and have the death grip, cotton mouth and intensity in my riding like I did during the race.
You said it. I've been looking for a way to describe the difference between riding and racing - this is a good one. While riding is still fun it does not hold nearly the same excitement level as racing to me.

Congrats on getting out there and racing! I hope you get hooked. :)

CramerTV screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 10:12 PM
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #36
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,241
Glad you had a good time, even with the DNF.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #37
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
hell even I have bailing wire!

Id better start carrying some....

too bad that you DNF'ed but its amazing that you're out there letting it hang out!!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Jimmy Lewis Class

Hi Wyobrew, after seeing your schedule I added the Jimmy Lewis class to my schedule as well. I had talked with a buddy of mine about doing it but never got around to it. I got permission from the boss and will see you there!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #39
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,009
Thumb

Neat thread! I'm enjoying riding along with you.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #40
stoneyony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Good job! Cool Guy, Sweet bike. Hope to see you out on another course.
I did what you asked.I made sure not to roost you on the way by
stoneyony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #41
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 462
No roosting

Thanks guys,

Stoney, nice to briefly meet you. I was initially a little bummed how fast you guys caught me in the first test, but it did take longer for you to "not" roost me on the second restart. I also found out that the kid in my row was an A rider and the gal (both of them left me so fast I didn't even see dust) she finished 4th OVERALL in the B division. Sheeeezzz fast!

Cramer, great to hear! See you at the brothel...

I would stick my neck out even farther and try to make the 4Aces HH on Sunday but that would be a longshot. Heading back to -7 degrees in Wyoming. I need to move south for a few months...

Doug

PS. Pasta, I can bring some extra baling wire from the ranch if you want.
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #42
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Quote:
I would stick my neck out even farther and try to make the 4Aces HH on Sunday but that would be a longshot.
Well, if you make let us know. There will be a few adv'rs out there. I'm hoping to get to meet motomike this weekend if I get there early enough.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,776
Mike should be there with the Lost Coyotes. Look for the Coyote flags (pink & green). Remember that it is a National and they tend to be more technical that the average H&H. However 4 Aces are not as "bad" as Desert MC or 100's races.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #44
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
Congrats on jumping into the fray! I will definitely be at 4 Aces this weekend (I woke up with bit of a sore throat this morning ) and myself and some other Coyotes plan on making the Utah Nationals. Maybe we'll see you there.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #45
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
Im not going to be out there till the 27th for Checkers. however Im probably bringing another noob!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote