User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #61
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 450
Pipestone

Well, the Montana XC series has started. The first race was Pipestone.
5 hour drive up to Montana is short compared to Arizona.

This series has the C and Sportsman class ride on Saturday for a shortened course and less time, so I elected to ride in the B class insteaad on Sunday.

I knew there would be plenty of faster riders than me so I was not preparing myself for anything but to finish. (that and the fact that I am still really slow)

The course was in rocky timber and had excellent traction and minimal dust. Great weather with temps in the high 40s to low 50's.

I have looked back at my first few races and tried to find out my major mistakes. It wasn't too hard to find them on this race. I started out way too relaxed and let people pass prior to some rocky technical hills. Working my way past them again I made my first dumb dumb move and missed a foot placement (they should be on the pegs, not dabbing on the ground...) and let my bike drop. Not a particular bad drop, but the little things added up. I bent my clutch lever enough that the clutch would not fully engage up against the handguard. I eventually adjusted the lever up and then noticed my shift lever had broken.

I was still in second gear so I stayed on course until I had an opportunity to catch a road back to the pits for repairs. After going back to the van and getting a new shift lever mounted, and handguard removed, I went back to the course and got back at it. It took me about 20 minutes in wasted time but I was not wanting a DNF. Great to have a couple of new friends help me in the pits. They are "50 something A riders" that have left the Checkers group and desert in D37 and moved to Montana. (Ed Pierce and Kevin Olen I believe)

I ended up 17th out of 20 in my division. I learned a great deal about persistence and would have been better off if I would have just rode it out in second gear. (clutch might have been toast, but time would have been much better).

Good times... lots to learn! Video includes my dumb dumb moves.

Wyobrew screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 11:24 AM
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #62
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

A few pics

I am getting used to the 250XC and liking it enough to commit to it for the rest of the season and sell my 450EXC.

The location and track conditions at Pipestone were perfect. Cool but comfortable for the race. One of the things I am noticing is the willingness to help by other racers and immediate friendship offered. One of the racers I had met a year ago at Inyan Kara pitted next to me. It made for lots of laughs and conversation as we got prepped, plus they brought beer.

Not enough pics, but I will try to get more at future events.

The guys running Montana XC have made it fun and enjoyable for all levels of riders. Joe Miller is an inmate on here (lonepeakracer) and Jamey Kabisch have set up 7 races this season, up from 5 last year and from looking at the results from last year, I am guessing their entries are up significantly.
I still plan on the National Enduro at Inyan Kara and hope to add a few other races in different series as well.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #63
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Heading out to Cascade, MT for 2 day race. Getting kinda tired of the weather quite frankly.

Doug

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #64
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Road cooler for the trip. I will revert to junk food after the weekend. And beer of course...

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #65
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,838
kick some ASS!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #66
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 854
This is a great thread. I love the hlemet cam from the last race. You were rolling and keeping a steady pace. That is the key. Keep it up!
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #67
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,224
Weird...I didn't see one sand whoop or palmetto root in sight

Really enjoyed the report/video and your doing the most important thing to get faster...racing!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #68
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Nice video Doug - glad to see you out there. Those rocks look pretty gnarly - sure wish I could come up there and check it out sometime. I'll let you know if I can make it.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #69
pilo
Rhymes with below

Doug - Give them heck in Montana!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #70
lonepeakracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
round 3?

Doug,
What did you think of round 3? For some reason my line choices on lap 3 resulted in a couple of major hold ups in the mud. Took help to get my bike un-stuck both times.

See you next month at Elk Basin...a hare and hound race. I'm pretty excited about trading in the mud holes for sage brush.

Joe
lonepeakracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #71
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

Still learning...

No palmetto roots, no sand whoops, just mud...

While I have to give props to eatpasta and the crew with Oregon Coast on their achievements of the past races, my own saga has not been that successful.

In this last race (Round 3) of the Montana XC, I came prepared to enjoy the full weekend. I had just recently took possession of a brand new Husaberg 570 and this seemed like a great time to get it dirty. I ran the bike in the afternoon bra relay race just to get used to it and had no intention of racing it. AMAZING bike. It lofts over mud holes and powers up slick hills like no other bike (except my Christini's) This bike is being setup for my desert and long haul rides, keeping my 250XC for tight races.

The course was 20 some miles of great singletrack with more than a couple of mudbogs that gave alot of riders fits. I decided to take the 570 on the sight lap as well, and keep my race bike clean and ready to race.

One of the great things I keep coming back to, is the friends I have made since committing to "learn to ride, learn to race". All of them are A and solid B riders however and keeping up pushes me on every ride. (a good thing) After a few minor incidents like looping the big Berg on a hill and high siding full on in 3rd gear, I finally pushed a little too hard and hit a tree about 3 miles from the end of the course. The bike came out unscathed, but I broke three ribs in the process. No pics, no helmet cam, no glory, just intense pain riding the bike back to the pits.

My riding/racing is on hold for a couple of weeks while I mend and re-focus on my goals. Learning how ride includes managing your energy to maintain a smooth riding style no matter what the conditions. I have been putting in longer days on the ranch on my practice loop and was riding 25-40 miles every other day. Learning how to race includes accepting some setbacks and remembering that I am still a C rider racing in the B class with some very experienced riders/friends. I have a long summer yet to go before I try some fall and winter races in California and Arizona.

The next race is 5 weeks away so I should be ready to climb on again and give it a go. The attached pics and video are from Bob with Montanamaniacs. They give a bit of perspective of the terrain and what a great place this is to ride.

Phil, no Wendover this year...

Joe... If you know who might have some race pics, let me know. Elk Basin is still on the schedule!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #72
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,224
sorry to hear about you getting hurt! I can't imagine racing a 570 in the tight stuff we do but sounds perfect for out there...enjoy.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #73
pilo
Rhymes with below

No Sweat Doug

Get rested and get better. We have plenty of time to ride and race. You'll be in the Utardia pits in spirit at Wendover.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #74
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Doug, we all get hurt. I suck, and I still get hurt. Take the time you need to, to heal right. Ribs especially, are NO fun. Get better, man.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #75
Wyobrew OP
Missed it by that mu

More video

Thanks guys. It has been raining here in Wyoming for the last 5 days so I am not missing any practice time on the bikes anyway. I am doubtful to be healed enough to ride Inyan Kara National Enduro on June 19th. I would like to make it, since that was my very first race last year. Now that I have a whopping four races under my belt, I should be so much better...

Just found this race video on youtube. It gives a bit more of an idea of what fun the mud bogs were last week. Not sure who Dalio is but I like the lack of cuss words when dealing with the bogs. He seems simply unphased. Good times!