Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #181
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,236
Wow. At least now we know what's possible. I wonder if he was able to save some weight with that swingarm too.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #182
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,209
Seems crazy, thats really light. But if the forks are half as light, thats 25 POUNDS. Half battery and starter would add to another 15. Swingarm seems like it got slightly heavier, as did the frame, with extra material.

I read somewhere else that the /5 frames were stronger than the later ones. Another case of internet research turning up completely contradictory evidence.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #183
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,020
So for the first time I felt good / confidnet enough in the Dobber to take her a few miles from home to some power line trails. Immediately I remembered my youth riding a neighbors YZ80 through the woods. The perma-grin is still on my face. And I am soooooo sore it's not even funny. This 40 year old is whipped ... but ready to do it again.

There is a list of little maintenance things I have to do ... but one of my learnings for the time was that I was littlerally standing on the tail pipe. the ball of my foot was on the peg and my heal was resting comfortably on the pipe. So ... it looks like I need another set of pegs back there. The 22mm bar that's on it (a Slash 2 bar ) is a bit loose in the clamp. I like it though ... anyone know how to tighten that up? The left side Mikuni is not functioning correctly ... I need to rebuild it. Know where I can get a VM32 rebuild kit?

I also will put on the new oil pan ... I hit the current one going over a log .... Anyway the solution is a sump extension and a steal plate for the bottom ... I already have all the parts ... so that's next too.

The Cow in her natural environment (as you can see, she's been grazing):

A little bit of a closer view:

Beater screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 08:58 AM
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #184
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Fun thread, awesome bike.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #185
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Let's make the footpegs longer. It'll get you a wider stance and pull your feet away from the pipes. Have you come up with any good ideas on how to alter that brake pedal when the pegs get moved? It's aluminum isn't it?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #186
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 6,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Have you come up with any good ideas on how to alter that brake pedal when the pegs get moved? It's aluminum isn't it?
Yep, it's aluminum. Did you not go with Fred to brake the Dobber in? I think he's was going to just attach something with fasteners to the pedal.

Fred, where did you end up riding?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #187
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I had to work. My neighbor needed a lot done to her house and she's a professor at the school of business at Georgia State. Yes, I'm blatantly kissing butt to get a Letter of Recommendation.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #188
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yep, it's aluminum. Did you not go with Fred to brake the Dobber in? I think he's was going to just attach something with fasteners to the pedal.

Fred, where did you end up riding?
Me and a friend (the guy I sold the '76 R60/6 to) went just southwest of where you live ... Found a series of interconnecting trails (mostly singletrack) going off of a rail line and some powerlines.

You know ... I was shocked at that stock R60. He put some dual sport tires on it and the damn thing could hang. It went just about everywhere I did. It really proved itself on the narrower stuff .... hopped logs ... amazing.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #189
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Butt.

I mean, bump

Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #190
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Al right. Been a while .. but I think I've fixed my 'bashplate' problem.

This was originally an RT so ... it never came with a G/S or GS style bash plate. So ... I began thinking. I was reading Anton's site when I read this ...

"HPN makes this two-part oil pan which uses a flat bottom plate (left) and this forms the engine's 'bash plate' with nothing else required. It's very strong and is used on every rally bike engine."

So ... I thought ... why don't I make my own?

I found a guy on ibmwr.org selling a sump extension. He emailed me a pic and the piece was BEEFY. It was at least a 1 cm thick all the way around, and 3 cm tall. By my rough calculation, it looked like it would hold about as much oil as the short (70-80) oil pan.

So I bought it.

Then I was talking to some of the metal workers at work about the project. One, a Harley rider, who thinks I'm crazy anyway, laughed and told me he'd make a bottom plate for free but I had to ride the bike to work once it was done. No problem. So I gave him an old oil pan and he asked if 1/4 inch STAINLESS steel was OK to use. No problem ...

It is a bit heavy though ...

That's about 5.6 pounds for those of you playing the home game.

I had to fashion a drain plug for it. So I went to Homer's and found a brass 1/2 drain plug fitting. I also got a 3/8 diameter proximity switch magnet. This thing is STRONG. I drilled out the inside of the brass fitting to recess the magnet.

I then scored big the inside of the drilled out plug so that the JB Weld would attach to something. I put about 1/2 mL of JB Weld into the bottom of the plug, then pressed the magnet in with a vice. The excess JB Weld 'squirted' out and then I allowed it to set.

After an hour or so, I began assembling the monstrosity.

And then I put it on.

To the 'full mark' on the dip stick, it holds right at 2 liters (changed oil and filter).
When I showed the finished product to the guy who made the plate, he got all excited and said he'd do another one, and this time he would recess the heads of the allen bolts. Good idea ... I've already hit a log with it, and nothing happened ... and I do mean nothing. The bike landed hard (intentionally, ) right on the oil pan, and when I got home, I hosed it with water ... I was really half expecting to sheer one of the heads off.

Anyway ... The Dobber is living up to its dirt intentions.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #191
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Butt.

I mean, bump

Don't Weld With Brad

Old 11-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #192
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,130
Eh?

Wouldn't countersunk screws be a better idea than exposed nuts?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #193
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Wouldn't countersunk screws be a better idea than exposed nuts?
Yep. That will be for version 2.0. But ... I did hit a large log and the exposed bolt heads did not sheer ... but it is a worry. The guy that made the plate said he'd recess the bolt heads next time.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #194
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,464
Why not some 3/8 aluminum plate instead of the SS and save some weight?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #195
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Why not some 3/8 aluminum plate instead of the SS and save some weight?
I'm with you ... I asked about that ... but it was simply a matter of audience. Those guys I was talking to were stainless steel welders. For v2.0 I will try to get them to do the Aluminum ... but I think 3/8 in aluminum would be perfect ... I also think that 1/8 in Stainless steel would be fine ... and that might be where I go from here ... and then get them to weld on 4 fins ..