Oddometer: 24,872
Those look way way better!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #242
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wow Fred!!!! That looks great!!!! Ok, the spatter will never go away using a wire feed. You'll have to buy brad an argon bottle, a regulator, and a new pistol to switch him to a MIG setup. The spatter can be ground off with a wire wheel or you can use a slag hammer.! Good job~!!
Thanks for your help ... I am an impatient person, so this has been difficult. Too bad about the spatter ... but we'll try Brad's grease trick (bearing grease, a VERY thin layer will prevent adhesion of spatter to the metal) next time. It's good to know that they are getting better.

What's a slag hammer?

PS - Thanks Stage!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #243
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,653
I have 2 if you want to borrow one I've heard the bearing grease trick before makes the welds not as strong never tried it but have heard that before
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #244
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

That spatter is inherent in flux core weldng. Have to go to gas to get rid of it, but also a slag hammer and grinder.

I dont think bearing grease is a great idea, the area is best cleaned with acetone or brakecleaner or something. Maybe a bit on surrounding areas but seems like more trouble than its worth.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #245
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 214
I'd just use a chisel (not a sharp wood chisel) and a hammer and push off the splatter. Also make sure to get the slag off the surface of the welds like I said earlier. These welds look much better and I think you nailed it.

I think you might look to add an outside mount plate to capture the upper shock mount and eliminate any chance of the shock mount bolt from either bending or sheering. There is several tons of stress put on that mount under compression and rebound at speed. If the bolt gets loose at all it will quickly work its way out.

Hope this helps. Later Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #246
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
I think you might look to add an outside mount plate to capture the upper shock mount and eliminate any chance of the shock mount bolt from either bending or sheering. There is several tons of stress put on that mount under compression and rebound at speed. If the bolt gets loose at all it will quickly work its way out.
Are you saying one plate across the top? Or are you saying a vertical plate on the inside of the two pieces? Either way, I was going to do that ... but I thought I'd see how the shock felt first .... I have my eye on a couple of R1 shock springs that have different spring coefficients ... depending on how spongy this one feels ...

Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #247
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 214
This is what I'm thinking to tie in and capture the upper shock mount this will greatly increase the strength and support the bolt on both sides. This is standard practice in all offroad race car and truck designs.

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #248
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
This is what I'm thinking to tie in and capture the upper shock mount this will greatly increase the strength and support the bolt on both sides. This is standard practice in all offroad race car and truck designs.
Yep ... Thinking about that now. I think you're right too. Probably scavenge a piece off a cut up subframe I have around here ... It seems the bushing in the upper connection has given up the ghost ... Looks like I need to make one, or buy one that will inevitably be in a super weird size. Know where I could find a DIY kit for bushings?

On the road to progress though ... here's a mock up. The rear spring is mushy, but after doing the math I knew that I'd need a spring that was about 25% stronger. No surprise there. There's also one on eBay cheap ... Is there a preferred suspension supply warehouse I can call?

POLL: Do you like the GS seat, or the black one? In the spirit of the 'cheap' build, I'm leaning toward the black one ... (and it is surprisingly comfy ...) It was made from a rusted /7 pan, and the stock foam, recovered with $3 worth of faux leather from Handcock fabrics.

The GS Single

or the Black home-brew single:

As a point of documenting everything. bmwblake sent me the subframe, and I had to make a small (it is reversible) mod to get it to attach to the top where the shock mounts. Demonstrate the welding skillz (yeah, right) and finished product:

Finished:

Another small project was that I really wanted to use the BMW controls, but I couldn't get the throttle seperately ... so I had a /6 right hand control, that had a stripped brake adjustment screw ... so I cut it up, and now it fits around the master cylinder that came with the DRZ400 front end.

Around the Master cylinder:

Now ... I'm tired. I'm going swimming.

Beater screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 06:19 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #249
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,653
Hey Fred, look at this for bushing repair. I like the black seat, the shape looks better with the tank.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #250
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
fred i got a GS tank that will match the shape of that solo seat perfectly
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #251
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,194
Man I don't think I've looked at ADV in a month. Summer school is rough!

The yellow on that seat looks kinda silly but the way that thing runs up the gas tank looks great. You can get it recovered whatever color you want for maybe $40. Ask Jenna, her seat and tank look awesome. You can even get smart-ass comments sewn right into the vinyl!

Are you going to lop off that right passenger peg? It'd save weight but it's a great spot to mount a luggage rack. I have a mount there and the bolt rattled loose one time. All the weight of the boxes ends up pivoting on that lower right sub-frame bolt and pulling back on the top right part that you welded. The subframe snapped right where your weld would be.

The weld's are lookin' good, man! Wish I had the extra $100 for a bottle and gauges so you wouldn't have to deal with all that slag. I might be able to afford one here pretty soon. Do you want to wait on welding in those main frame braces until I get it?

That top shock mount is on your main frame and my G/S has 2 sides to it like ISC said. That seems pretty important. I don't know how much I'd trust that one hole when you jump this pig.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #252
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
I have heard of spraying the area with PAM cooking spray. I have a friend that swears by it. I've never tried it, I somehow don't get much spatter when I mig.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #253
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

You get a bottle of gas and youll have to learn even more patience :lol

It burns colder with gas, im finding out. Changes everything.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #254
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
You're throwing clip-ons and rearsets on it....right?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #255
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
You're throwing clip-ons and rearsets on it....right?
I'm Cafe'ing it. Hell yes.