+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,880
Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #302
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

I hope this works.....I cannot seem to embed this video. Click on the icon and it should play.
HA! Click on the Red X and it will take you to Photobucket and play! Funny! The Exhaust sounds OK!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #303
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
try this
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #304
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

So with the help of hardwaregrrl, we took the Dobber to see some 'off-road'. We found a nice patch of an old dirt road that hadn't seen a vehicle in many, many years. We let the trials begin.

On the way out:

A little 'pre-shenanigan' shot.

There was what looked to be a puddle in the road ... well .. it was about 2 feet deep. I got a bit muddy. It made me happy. It was hilarious ... Jenna jumped in to help me get The Dobber out ... as the mud was higher than the cylinders. Strangely, the bike started right up, and she helped herself out of the mud. The picture below has said mud-puddle, and you can see that it doesn't look that deep

Here's a pic of the rear of the bike, about 10 minutes afterward ... but The Dobber spent the rest of the day covered in mud

All in all, the rear I think needs a stiffer spring. The front needs some stiffer one's too. But beyond this ... she was outstanding. I had huge fun, and after all is said and done, I have spent less than $1,500 on this project and she's exactly what I want. Now, I'm going to make her look ... presentable.

A parting shot. I had a great day. I am even more excited about where this project has lead.

Beater screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:49 PM
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #305
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
You may have let some water into the fd and trans. be a good time to vent them better and change oil. Looks like you have alotta fun though
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #306
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,658
I too had a blast!!! And my bike got a bit of mud as well...

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Sans mud puddle.

Success.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #307
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
DRZ's are set up for about 165 lbs rider so I'm sure your front end could use stiffer springs. I have a DRZ set up for a 200 lbs rider which I'm not, but with full Dual sport touring i.e. camping gear and a 165 lbs rider setup is pretty good. I think I can get you some spring numbers but the DRZ weighs in at about 340 lbs. That being said the DRZ pretty much always seems planted, but it was also re-valved by the PO.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #308
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
DRZ's are set up for about 165 lbs rider so I'm sure your front end could use stiffer springs. I have a DRZ set up for a 200 lbs rider which I'm not, but with full Dual sport touring i.e. camping gear and a 165 lbs rider setup is pretty good. I think I can get you some spring numbers but the DRZ weighs in at about 340 lbs. That being said the DRZ pretty much always seems planted, but it was also re-valved by the PO.
Do you know what springs are in yours? Apparently, the stock spring is a 0.42 ?/mm and I was told what I needed was a 0.60 ?/mm. I weight just shy of 200lbs ... so yours would be a good reference ... and The Dobber weights just shy of 400 now ...

PS - RecycledRS - Planning on dumping the FD and Transmission Oil tomorrow! Thanks!

PSS - Thanks Jenna! That was HUGE FUN.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #309
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,658
Ass backwards.

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #310
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

That's fantastic. The maniacal laughter makes it. And of course, the apology to the bike.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #311
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
Here's the FD breather parts list for you.

On the DRZ my springs are .47's with 12mm of preload. Bike is set up for off road.

Now I had very heavy springs on the BMW front, .85kg which felt good to me, but most of that riding was on the road, but it did fine on gravel on the Eastern TAT this year. But now with the HH Race Tech inserts I've got .48's up front and the the bikes static sag is quite a bit more than the .85's. I was concerned about this for some time, but the .48's seem good to me now.

Most of my history on riding is on road so i tend to think in those terms for suspension, not the best for this type of bike.

I'm not sure if this will help, just may confuse you even more!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #312
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 985
NICE! I'm goin' to get dirty today! The rain didn't come.

Dobber looks good!

Beater, I've been riding on my .70 springs for a while now and they are pretty close. From your pic, we look to be about the same size, I'm 195 or so in skivvies.

.70 springs, Race Tech emulators, 10w oil (6" level), 15mm preload. It's perfect on pavement, but a little stiff off-road on the smaller stuff. I'm gonna drop the preload to 5mm and see what that does. .65 might be perfect.

How is your rear suspension?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #313
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,195
I've got .55s in my DR forks and I don't think they're stiff enough. I'm hauling a good bit more weight than you though. Also, I cut a ramp into a stump in my front yard so I can jump it every time I come home Jumping a G/S with a 12 gallon tank and boxes full of groceries is probably not a normal situation to tune your suspension for. I bottom on jumps (small jumps, ~2 feet) and the brake dive is a bit excessive. I've got as much preload as my hand can handle and the Gold Valves are cranked all the way up.

Man I should've made it out there yesterday. I hate grad school Think you'll have time to go back there next week? Maybe Friday?

Did you stall in the water? I'd like to know if restarting with the pipe underwater would cause any problems.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 06:42 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #314
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Nice work you two,
the dobber looks great,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I hate grad school
Me too, but misery loves company. It's 2.20am right now, and aside from a full semester of work, I've been working solid for about 3 weeks now. Got a big bastard of a research project due at 11pm today. I'm up in 5 hours to do it all again... for the next 3 weeks or so.
I've ridden a motobike once in the last 5 months, and that was only becuase I had to move house, and move the bikes.
I am however riding my pushbike to Uni every single day, and I've mapped out every single jump I can get some air off on the way
Gnight,
and keep up the videos Jenna. I sit back, have a break and pop it on fullscreen and try to feel the wind in my face
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #315
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Jumping a G/S with a 12 gallon tank and boxes full of groceries is probably not a normal situation to tune your suspension for.

It is if it's part of your daily commute!