Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #316
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Man I should've made it out there yesterday. I hate grad school Think you'll have time to go back there next week? Maybe Friday? Did you stall in the water? I'd like to know if restarting with the pipe underwater would cause any problems.
Friday could be perfect. It is my day off, and I will be winding down from a rough week.

The bike did stall in the water ... not sure why ... but I could have hit the emergency off when I went into it. I righted the bike pretty quickly and tried to get it out ... I started the bike, and it was running rough (like on one cylinder) ... and then it went over again ... and that's when Jenna jumped in to help.

I started it and it was still running rough, and we finally got it out. About 2 minutes later, the pictures above were taken. It ran rough for the next 15 minutes or so ... I think that there was a little water in the bowl of the left cylinder ... and I also think that one of the breather (overflow) tubes coming out of the carb was clogged. Once they righted themselves ... she ran perfect again.

I started her twice with the complete exhaust system underwater. No problems ... if I had allowed her to sit for any length of time (like 5 minutes?), I believe it would have been a big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
How is your rear suspension?
We're still dialing in the rear. It is an Yamaha R1 shock, and has a stiffer spring on it. The stock spring is a 650lb, and right now there is a 850-1000lb on it. I really think it needs a 1200lb to 1400lb spring. Still a bit mushy. I did bottom it out once ... I was riding a ridge on the side of the 'road' and the rear (whole bike) slid off the ridge straight into a deep rutt ... probably a 3' drop. I easily powered out of it ... but I did bottom the shock. So, we are in the ball park, but still not quite stiff enough.

Beater screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 12:40 PM
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #317
W7AMF
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 94
this is awesome! ill be starting something similar to this soon i think!

can i get a list of everything you used to compare with what i need or have? awesome build man!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #318
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

We've ordered a new spring for the back ... It will be available in a few days ... a 1200 pounder according to the models, it will be much better. In the works are a milled rear hub to replace the cast rim. Coming with it will also be two new lengthened shafts. The one that is in it while balanced and straight needs is too thick. It will be removed in favor of the new shafts.

But right now .. we're getting dirty. And apparently, that's how she likes it.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #319
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Wtf? I didn't get an invite?!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #320
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wtf? I didn't get an invite?!
Heh ... Just rode to Blue Moon for their swap meet. Bought some Touratech Bark Busters for $5 ... Used of course. But beyond that, there were mostly /2 stuff and clothes. Lots of clothes.

There is a vacant lot just up the road ... Not a 'real adventure' ... Just letting the Rubber Cow graze a bit
Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #321
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Heh ... Just rode to Blue Moon for their swap meet. Bought some Touratech Bark Busters for $5 ... Used of course. But beyond that, there were mostly /2 stuff and clothes. Lots of clothes.

There is a vacant lot just up the road ... Not a 'real adventure' ... Just letting the Rubber Cow graze a bit
I miss going up there for the swap. Was John cooking brats? I'm on my own adventure. Got an all women's class here at HD. Kill me now.....
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #322
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
I miss going up there for the swap. Was John cooking brats? I'm on my own adventure. Got an all women's class here at HD. Kill me now.....
John began the brats as I was leaving. I had to take my 10YO to a birthday party ...

An 'all girls' class? No one deserves that kind of punishment.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #323
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 796
An 'all girls' class? No one deserves that kind of punishment. [/QUOTE]

Beater, stop now.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #324
W7AMF
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 94
how does it handle at speed on the road? any tank slapper moments? would you feel safe loading it down and riding many miles (after your new spring of course)?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #325
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Beater, stop now.
Heh. I live with three of them. I love them dearly, but if I had to organize an educational endevour and give instruction, I would ask someone to put me out of my misery.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #326
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk View Post
how does it handle at speed on the road? any tank slapper moments? would you feel safe loading it down and riding many miles (after your new spring of course)?
It's smoother than any Airhead I've ever ridden. At 80mph it glides ... as a matter of fact, it floats. No slappers, seems rock steady. Eventually, I will put on a steering dampener. But I haven't really needed one yet.

Loading it down. Hadn't thought of that quite yet. I think If I had some baggage hanging off the front, it wouldn't be bad at all. The front end is considerably lighter than the rear. Lighter to the point that the original engineers might have opted to shift some weight around. Off road, you can give it gas and pop the front end over logs, rocks, and ruts ...

The forks are SOLID. I grew up on little dirt bikes, and the 'most modern' bike I ever had was an 85 Interceptor 250. So, I'm not really an expert. But when I put those 2001 DRZ400 forks on it ... NIGHT AND FRICKIN' DAY. They are solid, stable, and I never knew how crappy the 80's BMW forks were. They bring confidence, they instill security, and absorb things that would crush the original forks. Seriously thinking about putting some on my '91 GS.

Beater screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:34 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #327
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Heh. I live with three of them. I love them dearly, but if I had to organize an educational endevour and give instruction, I would ask someone to put me out of my misery.

+1 million!!!! Although I have to say, I'm not a big fan of sausage parties either. I like mixed classes, but my girls in this class were tough. So they did very well. no mamby pamby shit!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #328
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
+1 million!!!! Although I have to say, I'm not a big fan of sausage parties either. I like mixed classes, but my girls in this class were tough. So they did very well. no mamby pamby shit!
NICE. Sometimes it works out. And true ... nothing worse than a bunch of dickheads too.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #329
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Time for an update.

I'd like to thank Dan and Martin at Traxxion Dynamics ... they titrated (and showed me some simpleton math) that could help me with my one-off, custom lengthened swingarm, coupled with a shock that was clearly not meant for it.

I put a 1400 lb spring on a R1 shock (stock spring was a 650). I have the dampening cranked to the max, and it feels like what 1/2 dampening would be on a 650 shock.

So now ... we're going to make it slightly prettier.

Step one, the scheme. I'm thinking I will keep the black fenders, paint the tank a creme, and get the seat covered a 'leather brown'.

The start (tank is in primer white):

And now .. we're going to start with planning around the rear wheel ...
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #330
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,750
HHMmm..