Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #451
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Love your brake pedal.
Is there a matching nut on the sole of your boot?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #452
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
What kind of carbs are those, Brad?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867498

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #453
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
I'll post some stuff in my thread after I get something done other than clicking 'Pay Now' on eBay. I need to stop putting crap in Fred's ADV living room anyways. (I love how we have a smiley for every occasion)

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #454
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Wanna do some high pipes on the Dobber, Fred? They had more of these up there in the leftover bin. It'll cost more if they have to make them but I think I can get the 8 of them they had for $15 each.
Umm ... YES. I do have some room behind the battery for such a thing ... Hummm ... Now we're talkin.

Call me. Let's take this Frankenbeemer thing to a whole new level of absurdity.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #455
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

The shop charges by the bend. $15 for above 90, $10 below though I think that's for non-stainless. He gave me non-stainless prices on what I bought last week. We'd need 2-Us, 2-45s, 1-90 in 1 1/2" then you'd need one chunk of 1 3/4" to collect them together. It'll be around $60-75 if I can get the same prices again.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #456
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Found a pretty good deal on this. I also have a source of steel. If I were the Dobber, I think I'd be frightened.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #457
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
what are you going to fab beater?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #458
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
what are you going to fab beater?
First, I'll be trying to learn how to use it. Secondly, I have two mono-swingarms on the shelf ... thought I'd try and make an extended one. I already have an extended one ... but I wanna make one. I also want to try to do a shaft. Clean up the rear subframe. Weld a rear shock mount to the frame .... Maybe make a front faring / control center like the Dakar bikes usually have. Just some thoughts.

I have many little projects around the house that need this tool ... My back deck's structural frame is actually made of steel. I need to re-enforce (and remove part of it). Patio furniture ... So much to do.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #459
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
First, I'll be trying to learn how to use it. Secondly, I have two mono-swingarms on the shelf ... thought I'd try and make an extended one. I already have an extended one ... but I wanna make one. I also want to try to do a shaft. Clean up the rear subframe. Weld a rear shock mount to the frame .... Maybe make a front faring / control center like the Dakar bikes usually have. Just some thoughts.

I have many little projects around the house that need this tool ... My back deck's structural frame is actually made of steel. I need to re-enforce (and remove part of it). Patio furniture ... So much to do.
Oh lord!!! Noell and the girls are gonna need hard hats in every corner of the house.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #460
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
don't use flux core wire, go ahead and get the gas as it makes nicer welds.......if the welder can do his job.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #461
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh lord!!! Noell and the girls are gonna need hard hats in every corner of the house.
They are brave girls those. Very tolerant. Understanding (and already used to it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
don't use flux core wire, go ahead and get the gas as it makes nicer welds.......if the welder can do his job.
I think you're right. So ... turn me on to something then. What is an easy to use (relatively) wire? I've been told that Argon is best but CO2 is OK too. What's the real scoop?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #462
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I don't think it's reasonable to do a swingarm/driveshaft with one of these. We need to leave something like that to a professional.

I made my footpeg brackets and if they fail I'm going to the hospital so it's not that I don't trust my welds, I just don't think these little welders is up to the task of the stresses that will be on the drivetrain.

It's not a riskless venture either. You might trash those parts. It's up to you, but I'd put those parts on the back burner.

Here's what you should dream of welding: an aluminum subframe. Your shock goes to the main frame so no worries there. It's an offroad bike so you won't even be sitting on it most of the time. You can afford to give up strength for weight. Let's see if we can get the Dobber down to Chris King weights.

The first task of that welder needs to be footpeg mounts anyways. What the Dobber has now are scary. I'd be afraid of stripping out that rotating footpeg dealie when I came down off a jump.

Here's a load of info for the beginning MIG welder. It's got some info on gas.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:43 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #463
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
I've used C25 and it's fine don't know enough to tell you about much else. I wouldn't do the swing arm either!!!

I did take some old KTM foot pegs and cut the brackets off and made some to fit the G/S pretty easy to do plus cheaper than buying some. They've been doing the job for quite a few years. Maybe one of these days I'll spend the money on nice ones...but why.

I love my welder, great for making custom parts or reinforcing luggage racks for hard bags, but I use soft bags off road now. Only use hard bags on pavement any more. Just don't think any self respecting off road rider should use hard bags, hard on sub frame and legs!!!.

One can make a really cool muffler guard with steel rod and flat stock!!! Skim my G/S link below.

My mig and 220 vlt air compressor are the best tools ever...and a cutoff wheel and vice...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #464
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,078
I'm using C25 and .30 wire in mine. The welds are colder.. evidently the combo of what amounts to a cooling gas and smaller wire for less amp delivery make it a cooler experience, so everything has to be turned up a bit from flux core. Flux core was working great for me, except for the brown bird shit I couldnt get off of everything.

I also would stay away from anything on the main frame or the swingarm, until I had welded a great number of things I subsequently did my best to destroy to no avail.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #465
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
What Stagehand said! Sure wouldn't want something to happen to one of our dear ADVriders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I'm using C25 and .30 wire in mine. The welds are colder.. evidently the combo of what amounts to a cooling gas and smaller wire for less amp delivery make it a cooler experience, so everything has to be turned up a bit from flux core. Flux core was working great for me, except for the brown bird shit I couldnt get off of everything.

I also would stay away from anything on the main frame or the swingarm, until I had welded a great number of things I subsequently did my best to destroy to no avail.