Oddometer: 1,758
Very cool!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #527
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I didn't really have the perfect tool for this, so I took out the cut-off saw and went to work. I cut the first one one neurotically, 3mm deep and then simply tried to make the rest look like the first.

So ... they wound up looking like this.

And the result worked! (Click on the pic)

video 59F7E09E-B882-408E-9FCD-DC87AB1B86C5-4497-000004FC2F92163D_zps69aadb91.mp4

Awesome
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #528
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 497
All I see is nice sharp edges and notches to act as stress risers for crack propagation in an area with plenty of load being fed into it.

I'd spend some quality time smoothing those edges and inspect it often.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/184271-1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

So ... they wound up looking like this.

And the result worked! (Click on the pic)

video 59F7E09E-B882-408E-9FCD-DC87AB1B86C5-4497-000004FC2F92163D_zps69aadb91.mp4
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #529
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
All I see is nice sharp edges and notches to act as stress risers for crack propagation in an area with plenty of load being fed into it.

I'd spend some quality time smoothing those edges and inspect it often.
Always dress your knots and deburr your machining!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #530
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,881
Getting back on to this thread. Have some more funds coming in to change this beast around again. Rear wheel, Frame shock mount, bash plate, pegs, and a small windscreen will be on the way. Stay tuned.

Beater screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 07:21 AM
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #531
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the changes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #532
Skyshadow
Tree hugger

Oddometer: 602
nice...looks great!!

-If you have a problem with me...be an adult and discuss it, don't be an asshole and try to hurt my feelings. Too many of those on the internet-
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #533
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,196
I know you've talked about running some rallies--do you think you'll be up for it next year? I definitely won't make it this year but I think I've got the funds and insurance for 2015.

Whaddya say? Maybe don't buy that silly oilhead and use the loot for race funds?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #534
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I know you've talked about running some rallies--do you think you'll be up for it next year? I definitely won't make it this year but I think I've got the funds and insurance for 2015.

Whaddya say? Maybe don't buy that silly oilhead and use the loot for race funds?
You know ... I am seriously considering it. I have to sell a /5 (as soon as I install a battery and see if the clutch took a hit). And I am truly getting very familiar with the Dobber. Rode it to work today, and went for 30 minutes on dirt at lunch ... super fun.

We are adding a large addition to the house, but that should be complete by winter ...

Hmmmm ....
Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #535
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I'm starting to get serious about it. I want to get the front fork swapped out and start doing some regular trail runs to get it dialed in. I might also try to find some more formal offroad riding training. At the very least I'll watch neduro's videos several times in between trail runs. Jenna's got them. If you haven't seen them you should check them out.

Also, I'd like to get the 'race clothes' set up for the bike--new tank/seat/subframe--so that I don't have to drag that behemoth of a tank around with me. It wouldn't keep me from racing but that's another 40 pounds or so I'd drop.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #536
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
I'm starting to get serious about it. I want to get the front fork swapped out and start doing some regular trail runs to get it dialed in.
.... and never look back
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #537
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Heck I ditched the stock fork a month after I got the bike. I might've demolished a pristine PD but 3 other guys finished their restorations in the process.

I'd go to the KTM forks in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on a triple. I'm e-mailing HPMGuy next week about any more spares and if there's nothing in that direction I'll call EMIG and see what they can do for me.

The bike's only part of the problem. There's a lot to learn to safely run those rallies. Stage is only a day's hard ride from me now. I'll spend some vacation days to give him a visit and learn me some things.

Did you end up getting new triples, Fred?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 12:19 PM
Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #538
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Did you end up getting new triples, Fred?
No ... The Stock DRZ triple is actually what you want if you are rally racing. It puts the forks closer to the head tube and is more stable on the straight-a-ways. The HPN triple keeps the same offset so that you still have the range of the BMW forks and is better for cornering. I have yet to have a place where I needed the tighter turn radius. So ... for the moment, I'm keeping the DRZ triples.

I will bet at some point I will up grade to the HPN design ... but not yet.

PS - I do have blue prints for the HPN design ... Know anyone with an 'aluminum capable' 3D printer?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #539
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Don't you get the best of both worlds with a stabilizer though?

My work-around for having a crappy turning radius is the centerstand. I pop it up, pivot around and vwoosh! I'm out the door at momma's basement

You gonna be around the weekend? I might try to ride home. I've got a set of jets I need to put back in the Mikuni box.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #540
Beater OP
Blinded by Science

EDIT: I am NOT home this weekend ... Spaced a 'family reunion' in Asheville. You can tell I'm really looking forward to it.

Next weekend (31st and 1st) might be more fun though ... My family will be in Paris (without me ) and I'll be heading to Barber just for the day on Saturday to take in the chaos ... and maybe try out one of those obstacle courses!

And on sunday, I plan on a tech day ... I really need to do some maintenance on BB and get some upgraded parts on the Dobber.

And for the turning radii, I was more speaking while riding. You loose a total of ~12 degrees (6 degrees on each side) with the DRZ triple ... it doesn't really seem like a lot to me. And if you keep the stock swingarm, then it will matter even less. My has a 4" addition which does compound the problem a bit, but it's still not really noticable. I can pull a u-turn in the street using a lane and a half ... not bad.

PS - I have no experience with a stabilizer ... but you know that Stage calls it "The Hand of God". That's got to be good, right? I would hope so for the price.

Beater screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 06:10 PM