Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #541
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

We are adding a large addition to the house, but that should be complete by winter ...

Hmmmm ....
Are we ever going to talk wood floors??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #542
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,750
Wink

You guys give me too much credit. Just have to go ride up to the point right before crashing and try to hang there <~ but back off before it gets out of hand.

It's a little funny, the stabilizer makes you more confident, and then after a while of that the stabilizer isn't quite so important

Let's double check the regs though, I'm not sure mags are in the rules, but I could be wrong. Did we talk about that and I forgot?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #543
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,162
Gettin' in some practice ....

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #544
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Where dat? near the quarry?? dont get cuffed.

Quote:
Gettin' in some practice ....

Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #545
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Where dat? near the quarry?? dont get cuffed.
Nope ... Utoy Boulder Park. Google it.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #546
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Nope ... Utoy Boulder Park. Google it.
Oh yeah...I still won't do it. Natural preserves are off limits to me...
Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #547
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh yeah...I still won't do it. Natural preserves are off limits to me...
Yeah ... if you saw the beer bottles, and the fact that there is a large power line running right down the middle of it, you might reconsider. Oh, and you have to avoid the piles of used automobile tires. And the sewer line. And the rail line. Yeah.

"Nature Preserve". Right.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #548
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
Do you still have the Mikuni box? I need to make a deposit. I used some 20s out of there that I definitely don't need.

The stock needles on the VMs are very rich. Even on the lowest clip they were keeping the idle high. I switched to a much leaner needle, and a 25 pilot jet, and I got rid of a bad hanging idle.

Now I've lost acceleration power though. The rich needle musta been masking a too-small main. I think I've got 170s in there now.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 07:49 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #549
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Do you still have the Mikuni box? I need to make a deposit. I used some 20s out of there that I definitely don't need.

The stock needles on the VMs are very rich. Even on the lowest clip they were keeping the idle high. I switched to a much leaner needle, and a 25 idle, and I got rid of a bad hanging idle.

Now I've lost acceleration power though. The rich needle musta been masking a too-small main. I think I've got 170s in there now.
I just ordered four 160's. Jenna has been using those on her flatsides with good results. I have amazing acceleration, but I'm also getting ~34 mpg. So ... I'm gonna try those. I think I have 20 pilots in there, and 180 mains at the moment.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #550
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Do you still have the stock needles? I'm telling you--they ain't right for an airhead.

I know I have a non-stock intake but these carbs were built for a two-stroke. Everything about them needs to be leaned out. The slides aren't in the extreme-rich range though and they're expensive to replace. I think we can safely keep them but if my air/fuel gauge isn't lying those needles are way too thin.

I had 20 idles(the smallest idles btw), the needle all the way down and the mixture screw leaned out so that it'd barely run and I was still getting 10:1 a/f at a 1/4 throttle going down the road when I'm wanting around 13.5:1

Here's the needle chart. We use #6s and the stock needle is a 6DH4. I wanted to stick with the same length so I put in 6DH2 and it was a big improvement. Even if it's not the right needle it's closer to it than the stockers. From what I've read the bottom 3 diameters are the most important but of course I don't actually know anything.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 07:47 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #551
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 644
Needles!!!???? So Many Needles!!!

The uninitiated's view of Mikuni Carbs based upon typical Mikuni Carb threads...

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #552
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I got 30mpg riding down to Florida with that set-up. Don't forget that when you're going down the highway you're only at about 1/4 throttle so the needle should make a larger impact on gas mileage than the main. The main should only start making a large difference during acceleration.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 08:15 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #553
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

They're so much fun though! The feeling of instant acceleration is well worth the cost of setting them up. And for me fiddling with the bike is half the hobby.

I'm getting on a weight-weenie kick too and the Mikunis save over 2 pounds. Every little bit counts. It'll take a r65 block and a hideous aluminum gas tank but I'm pretty sure I can get down to the 350s even keeping the starter and an Odyssey battery.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 08:25 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #554
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

The needles only seem intimidating until you start tossing out the ones that definitely aren't for you.

With the VMs you're only on the #6 chart. I'm sticking with the needles that have the same length or very close to the stockers so that takes a lot more needles off the list.

I also know that the stock needle is way too rich so that needle and everything richer can be removed as options also.

That leaves 9 needles. We'll be using one of these:

6F5
6F4
6F8
6DH2
6F9
6FJ6
6DH3
6DH7
6F15

Since there's overlap between jets and needles, the needle height can be adjusted, and we have a mixture screw to vary it's likely that several of those will work. Also, we're going for a ballpark here. The stoichometrically efficient a/f ratio is 14.6:1 and peak torque is around 13:1 on a naturally aspirated engine. As long as we're somewhere between those two numbers I'd say we're good.

Heck the thing runs fine at 10:1 the gas mileage just sucks.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-22-2014 at 08:32 AM
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #555
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Remember I have TM carbs, but I couldn't change needles or slides as they aren't offered in mine but I did go down about 6 jet needle sizes. Made a big difference.