Wait, what?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #107
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Doode, those bings were free, and there, and you need money for MX boots and Xrays!!!! What are you doin'???? Nag off.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #108
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Doode, those bings were free, and there, and you need money for MX boots and Xrays!!!! What are you doin'???? Nag off.
Selling the Bings!

Besides ... I'm wearing steel toed boots right now

Errr ... what're Xrays?

Beater screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 10:26 AM
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #109
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Shouldn't this thing be rideable now? Other than paperwork?

Riding around the neighborhood would be a good idea before you get the paperwork straightened out anyways. That suspension is gonna be wonky and we'll need to do some tuning to compensate.

Do things like grab the front brake hard and check the dive. Luckily those forks have adjustable compression damping. We'll need to figure out how that system works. Maybe get some heavier fork oil if it does dive. You've got some speedbumps that we could hit at 15-20mph. That's what your trail speed is likely to be on it. That'd give us an idea of how the front compares with the back.

Also I'd like to see how the gearing compares to the G/S. I'm usually shifting into 2nd around 20. It can be annoying since first is so low that I can't just leave it there. The taller gearing we expect you to have might mean you can leave it in first and forget about shifting in the woods.

I'd feel safer taking this thing on the interstate if you've given it some shakedown runs at lower speeds, near hospitals.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 03-03-2011 at 06:11 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #110
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Shouldn't this thing be rideable now? Other than paperwork?

Riding around the neighborhood would be a good idea before you get the paperwork straightened out anyways. That suspension is gonna be wonky and we'll need to do some tuning to compensate.

Do things like grab the front brake hard and check the dive. Luckily those forks have adjustable compression damping. We'll need to figure out how that system works. Maybe get some heavier fork oil if it does dive. You've got some speedbumps that we could hit at 15-20mph. That's what your trail speed is likely to be on it. That'd give us an idea of how the front compares with the back.

Also I'd like to see how the gearing compares to the G/S. I'm usually shifting into 2nd around 20. It can be annoying since first is so low that I can't just leave it there. The taller gearing we expect you to have might mean you can leave it in first and forget about shifting in the woods.

I'd feel safer taking this thing on the interstate if you've given it some shakedown runs at lower speeds, near hospitals.
Your faith in this is verrrrry reasuring

Same final drive and gearbox ... I'll bet it behaves just like the G/S (as far as shifting). The dive should be quite interesting. There are speed bumps one street over ... I've ht them going 35 ... Greta likes it

Got some more extraneous stuff ... battery box, headlight (Ebay) ... mikunis are installed. Still need a bit of work on the exhaust. Also got the throttle working (A Triumph twin pull) ... Rebuilt the petcocks. The rest just needs to be put together. I do need to custom make an ignition switch mount.

This week's been pretty rough. I present a LARGE ppt presentation to some VERY senior people at work. This weekend, while nursing a hangover, I plant to put much of the bike together.

The good news is that I've taken Greta in to work the past three days. Boo-yah!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #111
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Yeah, sorry about the job. At least you get paid for it. And have health insurance. It beats the other option: unemployment.

I just noticed that Len's got a crumpled exhaust header and some less-than-beautiful mufflers over here. I think they're stainless. I'm pretty sure he won't need 'em. Wanna take a crack at welding up a 2 into 1 outta some of this stuff? It'd match the rest of the bike: free

It looks like one of his sub-frame mounts is a bent a little. His sub-frame may actually be alright. We only need to hammer over that tab a little.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #112
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about the job. At least you get paid for it. And have health insurance. It beats the other option: unemployment.

I just noticed that Len's got a crumpled exhaust header and some less-than-beautiful mufflers over here. I think they're stainless. I'm pretty sure he won't need 'em. Wanna take a crack at welding up a 2 into 1 outta some of this stuff? It'd match the rest of the bike: free

It looks like one of his sub-frame mounts is a bent a little. His sub-frame may actually be alright. We only need to hammer over that tab a little.
Oooo ... I'm all about playing with an exhaust header. Is his the 35mm? I have a 'rusted' set of 35mm headers if he needs em. They aren't doing me any good. I'll ask the SS welding guys here for the trick ... I already know the answer though ... TIG

PS - I also have a big hammer
Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #113
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

I too have been thinking about the suspension...but look at this.

I never noticed the para rear shock mount point is in the same place as your RT! So, obviously it can take some abuse. I would say to look into measurements of the para shock vs the mono. I swear, looking at how low the rear is to the front it isn't going to be easy to handle. Fred, I'm still looking into getting a s damper installed as I have had some tank/slap close calls. Even a little bit of change will alter the s geometry.

Forgive me if this is a "dumb" discovery, this modification thing is a new world to me!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #114
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Yep ... I noticed that rear shock mount about two weeks ago ... and it's one of the big reasons I'm not going big on the rear until I've had a chance to ride it. I might even just upgrade the shock and drive on. Don't know yet.

As far as the front end being high ... it is ... but when I put my 200 pounds on it, I immediately loose 2-3 inches on the front, and maybe an inch on the back. It evens out. Brad had a great point about 'diving' during braking ... so we'll have to titrate that one.

I'm running to Atlanta BMW today ... ya'll need anything? I've got to pick up some nuts (and bolts)
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #115
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I'll trade you some crushed header and dinged muffler action for some fresh crush washers and a couple float bowl seals.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #116
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
I'll trade you some crushed header and dinged muffler action for some fresh crush washers and a couple float bowl seals.
Why does that statement make me hungry? Sounds like a lovely salad Len, sorry I didn't text you back, I was teaching. Hoping to have Brad over on Thursday to help my replace my hub assembly on the car.... And maybe time to play with the suk! I'll let you know...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #117
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

I'm running to Atlanta BMW today ... ya'll need anything? I've got to pick up some nuts (and bolts)
Sure, can you pick up an f800gs for me? I'll pay ya back over a series of months.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #118
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Sure, can you pick up an f800gs for me? I'll pay ya back over a series of months.
I sat on one. I immediately had to jump off for fear of irreparably damaging my perspective of 'The Dobber'.

So ... Headlight installed (PS - The DR650 uses the same headlight bulb .. so the BMW 'plug' fit's it perfectly). No rewiring needed.

bgoodsoil's heads on his R80 started giving him real problems. Big rattle in the left head. I had a pair of R65 heads on the shelf, with a complete exhaust system stuffed into the joyce's. And The Dobber's exhaust was incomplete ... and I was trying to see how I could make it all work.

So ... I hit on a bright idea that would solve all our problems. We put the R65 heads on Dobber (as it would be my trail bike, ~70 mph tops but fun in the woods) and the complete exhaust (with rusted headers that I have no problems bashing throught the woods). I get the R80 heads (that have 19K miles on them) to Brad so he can continue running.

At the end of the day, The Dobber will have not so much top end, but increased low end grunt for the trails. Brad gets almost new heads to keep is only transportation going. The Dobber has a complete exhaust. I think everyone wins here.

I need to run to the hardware store and grab some bolts to hold the transmission on

The Dobber is coming together nicely.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #119
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

thanks again, Fred. Blue Moon & BMW of Atl are closed today & tomorrow. Got any pushrod seals sitting around?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #120
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
thanks again, Fred. Blue Moon & BMW of Atl are closed today & tomorrow. Got any pushrod seals sitting around?
I got some 'used' ones