User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Metchosin, B.C. (Part 2)

Here it is, the sequel you haven't been waiting for!

But this one might actually be worth looking at...it was a beautiful day to be beside the ocean. And the twisties....ooh!

I played with the bike a little this morning to see if I could find out what stopped it idling the last time I was out. Threw a new plug in while I had the tank off, unblocked a breather hose...it seemed to do the trick.

For about ten minutes!

But whatever, it was a gorgeous day here today and there's a new Provincial law in B.C. that states if it is a glorious day and you own a bike, you have to ride. Really. If the cops come by and find your bike at home parked in your garage, the ticket is several hundred bucks.

Anyway I'll start out at the jail where I so miserably ended up last time, but I came into Metchosin a different way this time, through Colwood, and that mean views like this:

There is a large gravel pit at the top of this hill and when I used to run heavy equipment I thought it'd be a pretty sweet place to work, with this view all day long.

I think the gravel pit would make an excellent dirt playground, but it would require a Steve McQueen style jump over the fence first.

That's Victoria's Dallas Road ocean front in the distance.

Good thing I never followed through with that plan to fit a 5th wheel on my bike!!

So...back out to the jail.

About 18 months ago I did some work for a buddy who manages a facility in the city, and there is a restaurant on the site. There was a really nice guy called Wayne who washed the dishes..an older chap, late 60s or so, but he gave off a very calm vibe. He was always pleasant, helpful and you could tell when you spoke to him that he was interested in what you had to say.

I finished up what I was doing at the place where Wayne worked and then went away for several months. When I came back to town I went back to visit everyone and there was a new dishwasher. "Where's Wayne?" I asked, and everyone said things like, "Oh, you didn't hear about that?" and " You don't know the story?"

Nope.

It turns out that Wayne was in a little trouble with the law. Well, that's actually kinda like saying Hannibal Lecter had a little trouble with vegetarianism. Wayne had a history. A big one!

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/youbethejudge/index.html

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...1-a4cd90338fa0

I can't find it now, but there was one news article that made him out to be a violent, drug-addicted dangerous offender. If you don't want to read all the links above, Wayne has escaped from jail more times than anyone else in North American history. 13 times, I think it is. He wrote a book about it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Breakfast-Devil.../dp/1895837189

This is where he lives now. I had thought about buying a copy of his book and coming here to visit him and getting him to sign it, but I doubt that he'd remember me now.

Ok, off to find some twisties....

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Enjoyed the sequel! Thanks for the sunny pics too
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I think they put this up to commemorate where I broke down last time

I backtracked to the Rocky Point turn off, with the intention of riding out towards East Sooke for a little way and then taking in both Kangaroo and Gillespie Roads.

I did get to ride them, but the Rocky Point/East Sooke Road was just too much fun and I couldn't turn off it without having ridden it to the far end first. Too many of these

It was just constant twisties, and not another vehicle in sight! I had the entire road to myself, the sun shining down and the ocean on my left.

At times I forced myself to pull over and take pics, but there were many places that I either told myself I'd take them on the way back, or I simply couldn't stop for having too much fun.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,456
I love it,I love it and you are riding and I am blowing snow, it is -18C and I need to do some xc ski training so what do I end up with, your report, those beautiful roads and sunny weather. Keep it coming, I will make it to summer with your RR.

ciao,gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

More twisties

and more

Not a twisty

Stopped to snap a few pics at some bay or other

Bloody hell - no wonder I was cold!

A piece of metal roughly two feet long

And back on the bike for more groovin'

Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
spacely
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
that's a lot nicer than my ride down Hastings in Vancouver the other day!
spacely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Hey Squonker,

We crossed paths briefly a couple of years back, at Bell II on the Cassiar. Good to see you're out riding the Island. The road up to Pt Renfrew is a nice scenic quiet one with a decent pub at the end. Some real nice roads there especially for this time of year. I'm away down south in Alabama for a while, where I'm startled / horrified / disappointed to say that it's mostly been appreciably colder than the Lower Mainland / Vanc Island area so not as much riding as I'd hoped!

Keep the shiny side up.
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Hey Squonker,

We crossed paths briefly a couple of years back, at Bell II on the Cassiar. Good to see you're out riding the Island. The road up to Pt Renfrew is a nice scenic quiet one with a decent pub at the end. Some real nice roads there especially for this time of year. I'm away down south in Alabama for a while, where I'm startled / horrified / disappointed to say that it's mostly been appreciably colder than the Lower Mainland / Vanc Island area so not as much riding as I'd hoped!

Keep the shiny side up.
Hey brunstei,

I remember you clearly, good to hear from you. Alabama, hey? what takes you out that way?

Take care and ride safe.

Cheers.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I rode all the way out to the end of the road in East Sooke, and this

Man, that road was great! There were ups...

downs...

rollers...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I tried to get a couple of clever shots...and failed miserably!

And then back on the road....

For a little while, anyway!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Hey brunstei,

I remember you clearly, good to hear from you. Alabama, hey? what takes you out that way?

Take care and ride safe.

Cheers.
A craving for biscuits and gravy!!!

Ok, no, a job. Hope to be coming back to my home in New West in a year or so, though :) Meanwhile bought a bike down here and will be exploring around when the weather permits.
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,889
Great pictures! I have a few of the same ones from East Sooke Road from November Monday I rode Kangaroo again and ended up at the other end of Whiffin Spit - there's some great roads in Metchosin and Sooke. We'll have to meet up sometime
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
A craving for biscuits and gravy!!!

Ok, no, a job. Hope to be coming back to my home in New West in a year or so, though :) Meanwhile bought a bike down here and will be exploring around when the weather permits.
Cool - what bike d'ya get? If you get a chance, post some RRs of your own, I'd love to see !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl
Great pictures! I have a few of the same ones from East Sooke Road from November Monday I rode Kangaroo again and ended up at the other end of Whiffin Spit - there's some great roads in Metchosin and Sooke. We'll have to meet up sometime
I was thinking the same thing - had such fun doing the East Sooke Rd - Kangaroo Rd - Hwy 14 - Gillespie Rd loop that I couldn't really stop for pics, it just didn't seem right! I was thinking that if the two of us rode the loop about half a dozen times we might then be willing to pull over and take pics of each other riding the best twisties. We could do a joint RR! I'll get my bike running properly in the next few days and drop you a line before work becomes too busy. (Stupid work, always interfering with my lifestyle ).

squonker screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 06:50 PM
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Cool - what bike d'ya get? If you get a chance, post some RRs of your own, I'd love to see !

I was thinking the same thing - had such fun doing the East Sooke Rd - Kangaroo Rd - Hwy 17 - Gillespie Rd loop that I couldn't really stop for pics, it just didn't seem right! I was thinking that if the two of us rode the loop about half a dozen times we might then be willing to pull over and take pics of each other riding the best twisties. We could do a joint RR! I'll get my bike running properly in the next few days and drop you a line before work becomes too busy. (Stupid work, always interfering with my lifestyle ).
I'm in!!!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
I'm in!!!
Suh-weet! Here we go....!

Ooh, that's about it for this RR because here on it the fun was just too much! I'll try and use the highly technical mapping system I used in my big RR a coupe of years ago in a mo and show you where this all happens, 'cos it's just not cool to share when you find roads this good!

I did the loop I mentioned earlier and it was time to go home. I went back through Metchosin the way that I'd come in the first part of this RR, so it bought me back out here, where I'd begun.

Thanks for riding along!