Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
zenKTM OP
-

Oddometer: 536
Question SD wheels on SE

I recently picked up some 2nd hand superduke wheels for my 08 950SE

the SD wheels run 320mm rotors, the stock SE is 300mm and not interchangeable

thus i need a brake caliper adaptor
can anyone tell me the correct part no. FROM EXPERIENCE?

i ordered this one on advice and it is wrong

an expensive and time wasting exercise

i wanna go ride these babies!!

ps lemme know if anyone wants to buy the above adaptor
zenKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer: 355
SD wheels on the SE

There's a thread on here somewhere about some one doing this. It's not straight forward and I'm fairly sure it's not something you can just order. This person did some machining to get them to work.

I've personally looked into it and come to the same conclusion, that machining is necessary.

I'll try to search for the thread and If I find it I'll post a link.

Stobie will have some answers and insight.

Here's a little info on my 17/17 set up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=stobie

and a bit more...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=stobie

I think that's a good start. Good luck. I hope you make them work, I love how they look.
1993 Harley Café Project

River6822 screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 06:43 AM
River6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
PM Trailtrick. He has a caliper relocation bracket for you. Then post up a pic of those wheels man!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
I am about to do the same thing to my SE. CJ Designs has a kit for this. He includes everything that is needed.

www.cjdesignsllc.com

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
zenKTM OP
-

awesome

thanks for the replys fellas
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Adapter kit

CJ DESIGNS!

Hey sportrider - I know that adapter kit wasn't available when we looked at installation. That might be your ticket - You've already got the wheels!

Damn I'm jealous!
1993 Harley Café Project
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

My wheels are now in Australia with Zenktm. I decided to keep the 950sm. I talked with trailtrick and he also has caliper relocation brackets for a 320mm rotor. I will have to buy one as well, from the sounds of it the one from my Husaberg sm kit won't work. I plan to run adventure wheels with 320mm brake, switch to stock dirt wheels for trail riding and use the 950sm for twisties. :) Now, just need to get rid of this foot of snow.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Hi All.

Just want to clear this up.

Check out this link. Look at the bottom pics.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/CarbonFiber.html

This is a bike we built at the shop. I built my adaptors so that I can swap from dirt to street in about 45 min (taking my time). That's if you have a dirt set of rims and rotors and a street set of rims and rotors.

These use the OEM STOCK ADV or SE brake rotors w/ the STOCK brake calipers. No need for any special machining of the KTM SD or SM 17" rims. The SE required new Front bushings to get the side to side spacing correct. We have a few kits running around the world. The SE would use 1 adaptor, the ADV would use 2.

Now that the Front end my 950 ADV has been converted to AWD, this same setup won't fit. I need to build a new setup for this bike based on the 525 AWD front wheel setups.

My current setup has AWD 525 bottom fork ends so I'm working on fitting a 320mm KTM rotor w/ stock calipers. (Single Sided) These should be the same or similar mounts as the SE.

The rotor that could be used is any Supermoto 320mm rotor used on the DIRT BIKES.

If you have the stock rotors that were on the SM or SD rims. My kit won't work. Again, I wanted to go from dirt to street as easy as possible. This meant keeping the rotors the same.

I had my new 320mm rotor parts anodized custom colors to look trick and I finally got that all back together. I plan to get this built up today. I'll post some pics how it works out on the 21" rim. If it works on the 21", It should work on my custom 17" Adaptor kit w/ 320mm rotor.

I have 950 SE showing up in the next few weeks. When that shows up, I'll test everything out again, get some instructions written up and post it on the site. Best I can do. Hope that helps.

Zen, Your adaptor should work if you have my adaptors and the correct dirt rotors.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Adapter

I'm sorry my post was misleading. I know the SE rotor does not simply bolt up to the SD wheel. In my mind this = machining, whether it be to the wheel itself or to machining up an adaptor.

Thanks CJ for another great contribution to the KTM world. I wish I knew about these adapters 3 months ago. You live and you learn.

ZEN - Post pics when you get them loaded up. I'm jealous.
1993 Harley Café Project
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

I could be wrong, but I believe the KTM 17" mag wheels (SD or SM) will bolt right up to the se forks. You will have to use the SD or SM rotor and will need a caliper relocation bracket for the 320mm rotor of the SD.

CJ - Yes, Thank you for all your wisdom and input in this forum. I have learned much from your posts. I have a Husaberg SM kit (320mm rotor and relocation caliper bracket) and plan to add the 320mm rotor to the adventure 21" rim on my se. Will the factory relocation bracket fit my fork leg so I can use my stock caliper?

Chris618 screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 03:30 PM
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
zenKTM OP
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Zen, Your adaptor should work if you have my adaptors and the correct dirt rotors.
Thanks for that detailed reply cj, very helpful

my adaptor is useless with the stock caliper as both the recess for the brake pads is too small and the holes for the caliper are at a smaller offset, so i can't see how it could work
(could machine to get the brake pads fitting but won't solve the incorrect offset)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenKTM View Post
Thanks for that detailed reply cj, very helpful

my adaptor is useless with the stock caliper as both the recess for the brake pads is too small and the holes for the caliper are at a smaller offset, so i can't see how it could work
(could machine to get the brake pads fitting but won't solve the incorrect offset)
I'm back to the drawing board here on the 320mm conversion too. I didn't know that there are 2 different Caliper pin widths used until last night. Learn something new everyday.

I guess after 2007 there is a change in the Brembo Calipers. I could swap on an earlier caliper, but I hope to figure something else out. I find it hard to believe that no company has built a relocation bracket that works w/ the new calipers over the last 4 years. Need to keep looking.

My 17" setup will work w/ the STOCK calipers and the STOCK SE/ADV rotors. Sorry I'm not much more help at this time.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
I'm back to the drawing board here on the 320mm conversion too. I didn't know that there are 2 different Caliper pin widths used until last night. Learn something new everyday.

I guess after 2007 there is a change in the Brembo Calipers. I could swap on an earlier caliper, but I hope to figure something else out. I find it hard to believe that no company has built a relocation bracket that works w/ the new calipers over the last 4 years. Need to keep looking.

My 17" setup will work w/ the STOCK calipers and the STOCK SE/ADV rotors. Sorry I'm not much more help at this time.
Javier/Trailtricks has a source for relo bracket for the SE. He sells a 320 kit for the SE; seems like I remember he gets it out of Italy.

I hear there's a machinist guy up your way who could prolly make you one.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Javier/Trailtricks has a source for relo bracket for the SE. He sells a 320 kit for the SE; seems like I remember he gets it out of Italy.

I hear there's a machinist guy up your way who could prolly make you one.
That's great. I thought I heard word of something, but when I emailed him about buying some brackets I got no response.

I would have thought he'd speak up on this if he did.

If there is a part already available, I feel there is no point for me to spend time reproducing it.

Javier, speak up if you have something.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Javier told me in a pm that he has a bracket. I am also awaiting a response so I can order one.