Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #31
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate View Post
But I live in Las Vegas Nevada where insuring an econobox is never less than $1000 a year. The three bikes I insure cost a TOTAL of $150.00 a year. I can buy a LOT of tires/gloves/helmets for $850.00 a year.
I agree that, overall, bike insurance is a better deal but that doesn't outweigh the rest of it IMO.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #32
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
You guys tell yourselves what you will. My advise is to be honest at least with yourselves.
So, we're lying to ourselves because we don't share your opinion?

I have a spreadsheet of every penny I've ever spent (oil/parts/insurance/etc) on every vehicle I've owned, breaking it down to cost/year, cost/mile, etc.. What am I missing?

Edjumacate us, man!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
Airhead long term antecdotal information Vol. I

I had this /5 for 18 years and put close to 80K on it.

Over that time I did:

Top End
Electronic Ing
Final Drive Rebuild
Carb Rebuild
Timing Chain Replace
Updated Rocker Arms
Rear Shocks

Everything else was rock solid. No other real major work other than the usual bits and pieces. I was able to collect lots of seats, tanks, etc over the years to customize it the way I wanted.
I just traded it for an Airhead GSPD as I was ready for a change.

To the original poster on this thread...

Get a bike with as much documented maintence and repair as you can. Don't rush into buying something with emotion...and do your homework on the bike.

It will save alot of time and guess work down the road. Ask questions here about repairs that have been done on the bike you may buy.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
So, we're lying to ourselves because we don't share your opinion?

I have a spreadsheet of every penny I've ever spent (oil/parts/insurance/etc) on every vehicle I've owned, breaking it down to cost/year, cost/mile, etc.. What am I missing?

Edjumacate us, man!
Oh my! Why didn't you say at the beginning that you were backing up your point with a spread sheet! That changes everything!

Share my opinion? My opinion took decades to formulate. Get back with me on that if I am still alive.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #35
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Oh my! Why didn't you say at the beginning that you were backing up your point with a spread sheet! That changes everything!

Share my opinion? My opinion took decades to formulate. Get back with me on that if I am still alive.
Thanks anyway.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
Dirtnadvil OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
? for crazydrummerdude

I noticed that you have two airheads. What are the major differences that you notice between the two bikes.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #37
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
IMO it's not economical to own any motorcycle. I don't ride them because they are economical OR a status symbol. I ride them to RIDE them. But why beemers? Probably because they are overall the lightest reliable bikes in there class except for Ducati's which I have always loved but my dad didn't work at a Ducati dealership. What a pity! If we had sold Ducati's instead of Guzzi's! The gods MUST be crazy!

I've commuted to work by motorcycle for the past 22 years, and I can guarantee that my overall costs for transportation are way below what they'd be had I done it by car or truck. I work on my own stuff, and don't sell vehicles every couple of years. I have a Toyota PU with 290K on it, my R90 has 280K, and we just got rid of a Camry wagon with 340K on it.

I, too, ride primarily because I enjoy it, but it's been a very worthwhile part of this household's budget plan.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I've commuted to work by motorcycle for the past 22 years, and I can guarantee that my overall costs for transportation are way below what they'd be had I done it by car or truck. I work on my own stuff, and don't sell vehicles every couple of years. I have a Toyota PU with 290K on it, my R90 has 280K, and we just got rid of a Camry wagon with 340K on it.

I, too, ride primarily because I enjoy it, but it's been a very worthwhile part of this household's budget plan.
BA, now we are getting somewhere. A long commute done everyday can start to get things real close. The mostly steady, mostly highway miles changes the whole dynamic. It sure does rack up the miles quick as you know! I know through commuting customers. That situation is a close call. I still don't think most long bike commutes could beat a car economically if you were driving a Geo or Focus or the like but . . . . Your story makes sense to me. I am wondering if you included your Aerostitch, helmet, boots and gloves? That right there is three sets of decent tires for a Geo.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #39
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil View Post
I noticed that you have two airheads. What are the major differences that you notice between the two bikes.
The R75/6 is a Lay-Z-Boy on wheels. I can ride it all day, and it's so smooth. It was my first street bike, so I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

The R90/6 has just enough (more) power to meet my speed thrills. My hand has a mind of its own and won't let me go >105mph (indicated). It's a little buzzier, but the amount of buzz is nearly negligible.

I love them both. It's hard to elaborate on much more of a difference. Any specific questions?

I'm an airhead rider for life.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #40
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,301
If you like books and have the time to read them, The BMW Story and BMW Boxer Twins by Ian Faloon are all most people would ever need to reference models for seven decades. He has written other BMW reference books as well.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #41
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 24,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil View Post
Damn. I have 3. The one is a /2 and the other 2 are a/7 and RT respectively though.
I have just noticed some gaps in my stable.
CDD does know his Airheads and he has a good mentor.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #42
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
BA, now we are getting somewhere. A long commute done everyday can start to get things real close. The mostly steady, mostly highway miles changes the whole dynamic. It sure does rack up the miles quick as you know! I know through commuting customers. That situation is a close call. I still don't think most long bike commutes could beat a car economically if you were driving a Geo or Focus or the like but . . . . Your story makes sense to me. I am wondering if you included your Aerostitch, helmet, boots and gloves? That right there is three sets of decent tires for a Geo.

I buy almost everything on closeout, with very few exceptions. I also own a KLR, after all. I wear my gear out, too, and am not one to buy the newest, latest fashions. I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs., so fashion isn't a part of my daily existance anyhow.

My wife started doing her 32-mile round trip commute by bike last Summer, and the difference in the monthly fuel expenditures was huge.

Sorry About taking this thread off-topic. Twice.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 09:09 PM
Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote