User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Wattner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,685
"L" Build for fun

I have been contemplating my next bike for quite awhile. I want a bike that can go long distance comfortably with the ability to still hit the trails and offroad. I have a KTM 525 with a lot of goodies, and have ridden the bike on many multi-day, yet dirt oriented rides. I have no problem riding for 12-15 hours and am still quite comfortable at the end of a ride.... When I get on the road for extended periods, I am always thinking about my 650L. I had a few BMW GS's and while they are fantastic for long distance, anytime I would get offroad, I would once again think about the "L". The shortcomings of the "L" are the seat (For multiple 10+ hour days anyway), the stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired, they are WAY down on power stock and the lighting is not too great.

What I LOVE about the "L" is the old school, air cooled true thumper. Massive torque and the sound they make simply cannot be beat in my opinion. I have had several in the past and have either had them built, or built them myself with big-bore, high compression, reworked or aftermarket suspension, etc, etc... I am guessing I have well over 30k miles on "L"s with a lot of riding in Mexico.

With all of that being said, I considered a KTM 690, had a LC4 640 for a week (what an underpowered, undersuspended paint shaker that was...), I looked at the 950 SE, Husky 630, BMW 650's, Honda XRR, Triumph, etc, etc.... Every bike either was too heavy or simply did not stir me.

Enter the "L" again. It really is the platform I wanted to start with, so I began looking for a low mileage bike.. I found one from an inmate with 800+ miles, the price was right, so the deal was done.

In my decision, I felt that I would go ahead and get it just the way I want it.... Huge-Bore, add the NX second and fifth gears, and go full on for the rest of the build. I have spoken with Shawn (CycleWizard) and was most impressed with his knowledge and ability with the air cooled motors. We both have a passion and love for them, he actually makes the pistons, has ground cams, made one off parts, makes the sleeves and sells huge bore kits for the "L"...

After a few conversations with him, I kinda gave him the reins to build a high compression, giant bore, long stroke motor with every goodie we could find. He is actually contemplating making roller rockers, which would ease my concern with an aftermarket cam. I have had several from Mega-Cycle and WebCams go south. I always suspected the difference in hardening between the rockers and the cam, so rollers will solve that! I have an HRC cam in another "L" and really like the cam, but I cannot locate another so that is off the table. Shawn convinced me to go with a slightly modified version over stock, but staying away from the radical race grinds. We will get our power from the stroked crank, high compression and massive bore.

Add some Kibblewhite Stainless valves, springs and Titanium retainers and the top end is happy. He has made the piston, a custom crank to 84mm., welded up the crank pin holes, is making a new pin and will bore to fit, has made the sleeve, ported the head and will bench flow to get it spot on, etc. He is now removing all of the casting flash and will radius and polish the inside of the cases and will shave the flywheel to get some of the mass off for faster rev's. We will end up with a 742cc firebreather!

I have ordered the NX 650 second gear to close the gap between first and second and then the NX 5th gear to add the taller gear on top, kind of an overdrive.

Add a new XR's only exhaust, extend the clutch actuation arm (by 3/8" to ease the pull..), heavy clutch springs and a Mikuni 42 mm Pumper and the motor is about complete.

Shawn added several frame gussets from some photos I had sent him and the frame is off at the powdercoater getting a Jet Aluminum coat and will be all polished as well, which should look nice and clean up pretty easily. The side cases will be powdercoated as well with a finish that will clean up nicely, color yet to be determined...

I ordered a new set of CRF forks, RSW clamps with a Scott's damper mount, some Highway Dirtbike handguards, top clamp and desert high bend pro-tapers that are tapped and ready to go.

I am sending my Ohlins rear shock off to Dan Kyle to have him go through it, freshen it up and get her like new. I also bought CR Stuff oversized brake rotor and caliper mount, a set of RAD wheels with red hubs, giant Stainless spokes and black rims... the rear hub is cush as well to assist in longevity of the motor...The front tire will be a MotoZ Enduro and the rear will be Mefo explorer in a 150 width.

For the lighting duties, we will begin with a CRFX rear fender with LED's, LED's in the blinkers (along with diodes to correct the draw), a license plate frame that is LED and a device from Kissan that will allow the blinkers to operate as running lights with auto-cancel.

For the front lighting, we added the LED's to the blinkers (That will operate as running lights as well...), a Cyclop's Halogen Headlight in a Trailtech 8" racelight frame (the reason I went halogen instead of HID is to have instant brights...) and a set of 24 watt LED lights from Sanjoh with dimmers.

I am going with a set of mirrors from Neduro and an oilcooler from GSMark (both inmates here..) and a seat concepts seat.

There are some things that I still need to order and have missed here, but will update as CW gets me the info and pictures to post.

I know, I know... Why spend that much and put all of this effort into a platform as old as the "L".... Simple, because I want to! In the end, I feel I will have a bike that will suit many needs, have the suspension, comfort, motor and be set up for what I want to do...

There will be tweaks here and there to get it all dialed in, but let the fun begin!!!!

I want to thank CW for his desire and ability to get this bike together. I have built many bikes and I feel his experience will trump my ability. He is in the business to build bikes, so please get in touch with him for products and service. He is a great guy!!!!!

Here are a few pictures and links to some of the stuff I am using:
The shop (not house... this is his shop!):
Photobucket

The Master at work:
Photobucket

Some gussets to the frame:
Photobucket
Photobucket

The new slug CW made:Photobucket

Look at that baby sitting on top of the stocker!!!!
Photobucket

Table full of goodies:Photobucket

The wheels:Photobucket

Headlight:Photobucket

Mirrors and other stuff:
Photobucket

Oil cooler:Photobucket

Carb:Photobucket

Front Rotor:Photobucket

Clarke Tank (not TOO fond of it, we'll see what I end up with...)Photobucket

Forks:
Photobucket

A few links (I'll add more...)

RSW Racing for clamps:http://www.rswracing.com/

Mirrors: http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Rad Wheels: http://www.radmfg.com/RAD-CUSH-Series-hubs-s/39.htm

CRF Stuff (Front Brakes):http://www.crfstuff.com/brake450r.html

Kissan:https://www.kisantech.com/application2.php

Headlight:http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...products&id=94

Sanjoh LED Aux.Lights: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sanjoh

MEFO Rear tire: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4809/765/

MotoZ Front: http://www.brapoffroad.com/Motoz.htm

Seat Concepts: http://www.seatconcepts.com/index.php?p=1_33

http://www.xrsonly.com/

Oil Cooler:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313

I'll add more as we go! I am STOKED!!!!!!

Wattner screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 07:45 PM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
This is gonna be amazing. What a great project!
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
This is gonna be amazing. What a great project!
+1

I like where this is going!!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,126
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,899
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermosley View Post
...I like where this is going!!

I don't...yet another motorcycle I will dream about, but will never have. I'm already drooling over post #1.

Wattner, this is going to be awesome! I would say something mean, but you would see right thru it...straight to the jealousy.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,701
nice man cave!!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 699
N i c e......c o o l

Now if I had a big bucket of disposable cash.........

I like your choices. If you can bring yourself to reveal the costs, I sure would like to know how much to subtract from my retirement account to do a similar build.

Are you gonna add in a minisquirt later?
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
This is going to be GOOD!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
Wattner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,685
Bike $2,200.00
Build labor $ ?????$
Tires/wheels $1,500.00
Rest of the stuff, gheeeesss ummm, uhhhh, I have not added it up. I will guess around 8k total, then I have sold the shock, forks, stock wheels and a few other goodies for several hundred. I am guessing it will end up costing me a little over 7K.

I am not going to attempt to justify it, but it will be exactly what I want and what Honda should have built. It will still be a carburated, air cooled, full on Thumper that I can work on trailside and should last a long, long time!!! (My current "L" is a '94 and is about as clean as you can get)

I am planning a Colorado trip this summer and a trip through the Carolinas, Georgia, and beyond this spring. The old bike may find itself on a boat real soon to Mexico. It will stay there or South for a fly and ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Now if I had a big bucket of disposable cash.........

I like your choices. If you can bring yourself to reveal the costs, I sure would like to know how much to subtract from my retirement account to do a similar build.

Are you gonna add in a minisquirt later?

Wattner screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 09:43 AM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,119
Looks like a cool project. Man, you must have cleaned up on a resto job to get the loot for this!!! LOL
Good luck.
I think; you will need more cam. A radical race cam for a 650 will be a mid range cam in a 742CC motor.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,212
Mirrors

Hey Mike,

On the mirrors, did you get the 2 or 3 inch bracket?

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 233
Looking forward to following this

I'm thinking of upgrading my lighting also, Are you going to use hard or soft bags for your gear?

The wheels are very nice. I gotta start saving my pennies.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,213
Don't over look the RevLoc auto ciutch
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,263
cool project

Subscribed, Got my eye on this 1, I'm jealous,

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote