ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #61
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,012
I have a Garmin Nuvi 765 that I use primarily in the car, and a Zumo 665 for my bike.

But lately I've been using my Droid phone with Waze in the car and it is making me want to find a good mount, waterproofing to use on the bike.

The Waze app is a "social GPS" app. You log in and their routing engine uses your speed (and other users) as part of the algorithm to calculate the best route. Living in Boston, rush hour traffic can really impact travel times and so far Waze has proven by far the best at minimizing travel times compared to the Garmins or the Google droid app.

The second advantage is related - it allows you to report police. Probably wouldn't be that helpful on a back road in Northern Maine, or when the police are on the move, but for stationary speed traps in "Honey Holes" in MA and NH it's been great. You can also display GPS speed to help set your cruise control on the highway. Finally, if other friends log in you can send them your destination see where they are, or text them.

The Garmin still has a number of advantages. First, you can make your own routes with as many intermediate waypoints as you want: there are lots of routing options, where waze might give two or three. Second is the display of speed limits, invaluable on back roads. Finally, the ease of use with gloves, waterproofness and secure mounting all favor the Garmin.

But for commuting, check out waze - it's free.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 07:24 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #62
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
But for commuting, check out waze - it's free.
I prefer Trapster for reporting police and red light cameras.
Waze is more a 'social' sharing thing, which I could care less about when driving.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #63
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Waze is more a 'social' sharing thing, which I could care less about when driving.
I could care less, either - but the number of users means the updates on speed traps are much more current than Trapster. We don't have red light cameras here anymore.

There's a speed trap right up the street, now - reported on Waze, not on Trapster.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #64
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
GPS on Android

Here's what I've found that works;

MapFactor: GPS Navigation - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

It's free with no trial period and it lets you download unlimited open street maps with free map updates as they become available. It's not as detailed as Google maps but it's good enough to get you to your destination without being online. It also has turn by turn voice.

The 2013 Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.2 build number KOT 49H.
Initially the GPS failed to keep a lock on the satellites but with the subsequent Kit Kat updates that problem has been solved and I now get a minimum of eight sat locks with no dropped of signals. It even stays locked in heavily forested areas now.

A waterproof pouch for the 7" Tablet -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This doesn't leak and the touch screen works perfect through the clear plastic. I just attach this to my tank bag with a couple of pressure clips and it's secure and easy to read at speed. Ear bud and power cable running from the pouch still don't allow water in.

There's also a great free App for finding open WiFi hotspots here -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eandroid&hl=en

So far this setup works great for my needs.
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #65
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Have you used both? Waze is lightyears better than trapster for Police reporting as mentioned above, high number of users. You can use Waze and not bother with any of the 'social' stuff in which it functions just like any decent mapping program but will good real time traffic and police data. Especially in populated areas, it works great around the Metro ATL area for speed traps.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #66
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Atlanta View Post
Have you used both? Waze is lightyears better than trapster for Police reporting as mentioned above, high number of users. You can use Waze and not bother with any of the 'social' stuff in which it functions just like any decent mapping program but will good real time traffic and police data. Especially in populated areas, it works great around the Metro ATL area for speed traps.
Yes, Waze wins because of the user base.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #67
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Back to the thread...

Since this thread is two years old its time for an update to the original post.

I would like to include Orux, OSMand, CoPilot, DualSportMaps and Waypointer.

Any others anyone can think of?

Also would anyone with experience using Orux or DualSportMaps be willing to provide a review or how to for those?

Thanks in advance.
I just downloaded "Navigator" to my Galaxy N3. In a snap, I downloaded US, Central, and South America maps. Just playing with it a bit, but i like it so far. My perspective is that of a noobie GPS user who doesn't know the diff between a jpg and a gpx....

Google Navigation is easy and accurate, at least for me, so far.