ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Anyond Found A Replacement Yuasa or Odyssey?

This thread for Wethead GS Only (2013-2014)

Two bad batteries 2014 WCGS. Can't seem to find any replacement for the WCGS? Anyone? Thanks . . .
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T

jpalamar screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 07:03 AM
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Lincolnville,Maine
Oddometer: 475
After my annual bitchfest about motorcycle batteries sucking, I tried MotoBatt and have had much better luck with those.
__________________
'14 GSW
'02 Aprilia Mille
'66 R50/2 with hack
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
After my annual bitchfest about motorcycle batteries sucking, I tried MotoBatt and have had much better luck with those.
Got a link, P/N, anything. I've been scouring and while seems like I've found 'fits' for the compartment, would like more confidence from someone using the battery. While likely BMW will replace, I have no confidence in the EXIDE brand.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,262
Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Got a link, P/N, anything. I've been scouring and while seems like I've found 'fits' for the compartment, would like more confidence from someone using the battery. While likely BMW will replace, I have no confidence in the EXIDE brand.
http://www.motobattbatteries.com/
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,278
does it use the standard ETX14 battery?

if so, $74 for an AGM ( deka) battery at advance auto with coupon TRT41
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 118
I just put in the EverStart ES14BS PowerSport Battery that I bought at Walmart for $75.. Drops in to the original spot, mounts up snug with OEM mounting hardware and works great. I only have a week on it so not good history. If it lasts a year or two I am good. The fact that is it local, cheap and works is good enough for me.
JKGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 528
I just put in a Deka battery in my '11 GSA; the original one was starting to get tired. So far the Deka is doing fine, but I did find a replacement that would be next if and when this battery starts to get soft... Here at BurnsMoto - a Braille AGM battery
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGREEN View Post
I just put in the EverStart ES14BS PowerSport Battery that I bought at Walmart for $75.. Drops in to the original spot, mounts up snug with OEM mounting hardware and works great. I only have a week on it so not good history. If it lasts a year or two I am good. The fact that is it local, cheap and works is good enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I just put in a Deka battery in my '11 GSA; the original one was starting to get tired. So far the Deka is doing fine, but I did find a replacement that would be next if and when this battery starts to get soft... Here at BurnsMoto - a Braille AGM battery
Guys, are you talking about a wethead battery? That's what jpalamar is asking about.

jpalamar, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone with other than stock at this stage of the wethead cycle. The bike may be too new for anyone with other than a will-be-replace-under-warranty battery failure. It is annoying the BMW doesn't list the battery type in the specs. I didn't note the label when I had my battery out when adding electrical add-ons. Next time. I think it was smaller in size than the battery used by earlier GS, but not 100% sure.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
bracky72
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Charles Town, West Virginia
Oddometer: 857
Autozone... Why over complicate things?
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Guys, are you talking about a wethead battery? That's what jpalamar is asking about.

jpalamar, I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone with other than stock at this stage of the wethead cycle. The bike may be too new for anyone with other than a will-be-replace-under-warranty battery failure. It is annoying the BMW doesn't list the battery type in the specs. I didn't note the label when I had my battery out when adding electrical add-ons. Next time. I think it was smaller in size than the battery used by earlier GS, but not 100% sure.
Saved me a lot of work. Yup, it's a WETHEAD and i've attempted to find the specs; likely not so different than anything else that 'fits' and fit is important, has the cold-cranking amperage, etc. but at this time I'd like the replacement battery say: FOR 2013-2014 R1200GS.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: 10,000 Lakes
Oddometer: 2,304
+1 on a DEKA.

Just do it and never look back.
__________________
.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
ghan
Adventurer
 
ghan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Vacaville, CA
Oddometer: 71
Revzilla lists the Yuasa YTX14-BS (200 CCA) and YTX14H-BS (240 CCA) as an exact fit for the 2013 R1200GSW.
__________________
'14 R1200GSW
'06 WR250F
Past: '02 K1200RS
'09 F800ST
ghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghan View Post
Revzilla lists the Yuasa YTX14-BS (200 CCA) and YTX14H-BS (240 CCA) as an exact fit for the 2013 R1200GSW.
I'm wondering where you saw the exact fit, as the dimensions of the battery are not the dimensions of the stock, nor the compartment size. I want it to be correct, but not so. It lists it as fitting the BMW R1200GS, 2013 model but am thinking it's for the 2013 Adventure (cam head). But thanks anyway . . . I will call Revzilla tomorrow tho', to double check.
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
2014 R90T
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghan View Post
Revzilla lists the Yuasa YTX14-BS (200 CCA) and YTX14H-BS (240 CCA) as an exact fit for the 2013 R1200GSW.
Revzilla is may be wrong, as may be other sites that list that battery. Partially wrong, anyway. There were some '13 hexheads made and the listed batteries will fit that bike. I'm pretty sure the YTX14(H)-BS is too big (physical size) for a wethead. Oh hell, let me go out and measure.

Edit: OK the battery that is in my 05/2013 build bike is a YTZ14S-MF. But... I see that the part number for wethead batteries changed in 07/2013 and the new part number matches the old YTX14-BS battery. Perhaps if I removed the foam spacer under my stock battery the YTX14-BS would fit.

marchyman screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 08:11 PM
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Guys, are you talking about a wethead battery? That's what jpalamar is asking about.
I wasn't in particular talking about the wethead battery; but -hopefully- a battery that could - possibly - work for both bikes.

I was showing a link that would work for my bike '11 GSA; and that it gave the physical size of the battery in the write up. I though worst case scenario he could check the dimensions and compare... that and again hopefully the battery terminal locations - pos - negative - were on the correct side. If not then I'm sure they make one with opposite terminals...

What impressed me in the Braille battery was the CCA's of 360... thought I would share that...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014