User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,980
2014 R1200GSW Western Service Contract

I bought a used 2014 R1200GSW. Still under factory warranty for the next 23 months. I would like to add 4 more years to that time.
I had the Western Service Contract on my 05 and it paid out 4x ($4,000) the amount the original owner paid ($1000) for the warranty. Paid out 80x the transfer fee i paid.

I would like to get the same coverage for my newer bike. A local dealer quoted me $1600 for 84 months coverage. Here is a couple questions. They weren't really interested in explaining things though.

84 months includes back to the in service date. So, it sounds like I am paying a warranty for 3 years already covered by the factory warranty. I was hoping I only would have to buy 48 months, starting when the factory warranty expires. It appears the only way to get 84 months coverage you have to be double covered while the factory warranty is in effect.
Does that make sense?

Next. is $1,600 a good price? Was the full coverage "bumper to bumper if you will) policy. What is a good price? Is anybody willing to share what they paid?
I know there are Yamaha dealers that sells the YES contract for $400 and sells a ton across state line, while our local place wants like $1000.

I have no issues shopping around. The policy on my 05 was purchased from A&S in Sacramento and all the repair work was done at BWM of Denver. So, it appears buying it from the local dealer has no effect on claims.

TIA
2012 FJR1300 (for sale), 2014 R1200GS, 99 ATK490
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
CorporateOffroader
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I paid $1600 for 72 months, but in reality it is to extend the original 36 month warranty an additional 36 months with a $25 deductible.

Had some buyer's remorse for a little bit, until I really thought about what some of the stuff might cost to replace on the '15 GSA I just bought.

Oh, and it is unlimited miles :)
CorporateOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,401
Conventional wisdom says that most if any manufacturing defects will happen during the factory warranty period.

That being said, sometimes its not true.If you ride over 20K a year and keep your bikes for over 5 years, an extended warranty will probably pay for itself.

Personally I would just put the money in the bank and save it for when and if shit happens after the factory warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
I got the extended Western Service Contract for my 2014 GSW at time of purchase. It was $1200 for 6 years/unlimited miles. Yes, they like to have you purchase the extended warranty within the first year, so they get to sit on your $ for some years before they will be responsible for coverage. Your $1600 for 7 years may have some wiggle room on price, or maybe you can do the 6 year plan.

I generally keep my bikes around 6 years and add 20,000 miles per year. This means Im covered well past 100k miles. I think the extended warranty is a great deal if you put lots of miles on your bike. My 2007 GS had the same and they paid out about $4800 in repairs over the years. Money in the bank.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Steambike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
extented warranty

Rread the fine print. I looked an extended warranty that stated all service work must be done by an authorized BMW servicer.
Steambike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steambike View Post
Rread the fine print. I looked an extended warranty that stated all service work must be done by an authorized BMW servicer.
Which one says that? I was never asked for records for my warranty repairs. The only time the bike went to the dealer was for warranty and recall work.

WSC never argued one request. Even replaced warped brake rotors that I am positive BMW would have claimed as a wear item.

Charleetho screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 01:28 PM
Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Steambike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
i don't remember the company,whatever plan BMW of Denver is selling. I didn't purchase it for that reason. To me, it just seemed like an excuse not to cover a claim.
Steambike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Callisto224
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Remember when you purchase an extended warranty, you're betting that you'll have more repairs than the cost of the warranty while the warranty company is betting that you'll have less repairs than the cost of the warranty (otherwise, they'd be out of business).

I agree with them, I'll have less repairs than the cost of the warranty and won't waste my money! I suggest you do the same!

Just my 2 cents, but extended warranties (for anything) are almost always a waste of money.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 AM   #9
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Agreed with one exception. I dont buy extended warrantys on anything else other then a BMW motorcycle. If it was a Honda, I'd save my money.
I wasnt asking if I should buy the warranty. I'm convinced that on a BMW chances are the warranty will pay for itself many times over. The question is for those who purchased the WSC how much did you pay and are there dealers who discount?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #10
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,729
Extended service contracts are nothing more than an insurance policy. Just like insurance, you hope to not need it but if you do, it's there. I strongly disagree with the notion that if you are going to have a mechanical breakdown, it will more likely happen during the manufacturer warranty period. That's why you're paying $1600 for the 4 years after the factory warranty expires. There's much greater likelihood a breakdown will occur after.

Breaking it down annually, it's $400.00 per year for the piece of mind. If you sell or trade the bike before the end of the 4 year extension, you're just paying more for the piece of mind. As long as it's transferrable, you have a good selling point to the next owner. Also, it's usually NOT transferable if you trade in to a dealer.

If you have a costly mechanical breakdown covered by the extended warranty, the repairs will almost always exceed the cost of the warranty. But its not a matter of return on investment, just like insurance you're hoping you never have to use it.

As long as the contract has good comprehensive coverage and you can use it at most dealerships in the US and Canada, those are the facts you should think about when considering a service contract. Oh, and the dealer selling the contract can discount it if they want to. You should shop around but make sure you're comparing the same coverages. Good luck with the decision!

Mike M screwed with this post 02-27-2015 at 04:59 AM
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
schlim66
Loner

Oddometer: 739
One other point that nobody seems to have mentioned is that if you sell or trade in your bike before the extended warranty is up, you can usually get a prorated refund for the remaining balance. I have done this three time over the past ten years.
Also, my salesman has always discounted the warranty so I know they have leeway where the price is concerned.

Cheers,
Schlim66
schlim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
ClayR
Animal

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
Conventional wisdom says that most if any manufacturing defects will happen during the factory warranty period.

That being said, sometimes its not true.If you ride over 20K a year and keep your bikes for over 5 years, an extended warranty will probably pay for itself.

Personally I would just put the money in the bank and save it for when and if shit happens after the factory warranty runs out.
I sell MOPAR warranties and this couldn't be further from the truth. The reason the factory limits mileage is to limited their risk. I'm kind of the go to guy on the internet for MOPAR Warranties.

The reason they limit most warranties to 100K miles is because once again, they are limiting their risk.

MOPAR offers a lifetime Maximum Care $100 ded warranty. If BMW had one of those on this new GSA I would definitely get it.

Does BMW have a manufacturer Service Contract because I always feel better with true factory warranties?

Thanks for any info.
ClayR is offline   Reply With Quote