Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
EastRoad OP
Road Viking

Oddometer: 92
Question: best aftermarket shocks for R1150GS Adv.

Thinking about getting different shocks for the R1150GS Adventure (2002)...
especially rear.

Under heavier loads the rear one is quick to max out etc... I guess it's pretty common, age considering... it's not leaking but it was never optimal I guess.

There's Ohlins, Nitron, etc...

Which one have you installed and what is your experience.

Especially for long distance mixed road trips with some luggage.

Anything out there that has a good price/quality/capability ratio?
EastRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,883
Springs

For your intended purpose, road travel, you don't need anything too fancy. But you do need the shocks to be sprung to the weight you're hauling.

There will be Ohlins/Wilbers fanboys along any minute telling you their choice is best, and I went with Yacugar myself, but you're talking about touring on road. Not racing, or off road.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
EastRoad OP
Road Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
For your intended purpose, road travel, you don't need anything too fancy. But you do need the shocks to be sprung to the weight you're hauling.

There will be Ohlins/Wilbers fanboys along any minute telling you their choice is best, and I went with Yacugar myself, but you're talking about touring on road. Not racing, or off road.
I'd say my usage will be like:
75% good tarmac
20% gravel / dirt / cobble stone / etc
5% Offroad / mud / dirt.

Don't know "Yacugar"... which model do you have?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,883
Yacugar and Wilbers were designed by the same 2 guys in the Netherlands. One went to Germany and started Wilbers, while the other stayed in the Netherlands - Yacugar. Yacugar has a 16mm shaft vs 14mm for Wilbers and Ohlins. Under heavy loads some of the 14mm ones have broken at the threaded end.

I don't remember the model, but it's the one with high speed, low speed, and rebound damping, as well as piggyback reservoir. Made for extreme use/off road racing. It was 1200USD for the rear. It still doesn't sound like you need the extreme one, and the standard costs a little over half as much.

Sweden... http://www.yacugar.com/distributors/...itserland.html
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
EastRoad OP
Road Viking

Quote:
Yacugar and Wilbers were designed by the same 2 guys in the Netherlands. One went to Germany and started Wilbers, while the other stayed in the Netherlands - Yacugar. Yacugar has a 16mm shaft vs 14mm for Wilbers and Ohlins. Under heavy loads some of the 14mm ones have broken at the threaded end.

I don't remember the model, but it's the one with high speed, low speed, and rebound damping, as well as piggyback reservoir. Made for extreme use/off road racing. It was 1200USD for the rear. It still doesn't sound like you need the extreme one, and the standard costs a little over half as much.

Sweden? ;)
Nope ;) (wouldn't mind though, not at all).
but you've got the right link none the less ...

thanks for the info - checking them out for sure, see how much they run at the local distributor for...
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:

Wilbers from my 1150GS The bike had never seen heavy loads, never had a passenger onboard This happened at 70mph, fortunately on a straight piece of highway. I wouldn't take a free Wilbers

Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
EastRoad OP
Road Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Wilbers from my 1150GS The bike had never seen heavy loads, never had a passenger onboard This happened at 70mph, fortunately on a straight piece of highway. I wouldn't take a free Wilbers

holy crap.

now that should NOT happen with normal use... damn.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Jacugar's on my '01. Give Ted Porter a call at the Beemer Shop. Great service and prices.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
now I understand why they call the black spring model the "economic line" of the wilbers shocKs.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #10
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
Jacugar's on my '01. Give Ted Porter a call at the Beemer Shop. Great service and prices.
Yes. I got the Yacugar shocks from Ted Porter as well. They are actually made by Hyperpro (the name is on some of the bits on mine). I've installed a wide variety of shocks on different bikes and had a long discussion with Mr. Porter about this. The decision was that since my needs are about the same as yours ('02 and two up touring in the PNW with local "spirited" solo stuff) this was the right fit. Total cost front and rear was about $1,500.00. Money well spent best bolt on improvement out there.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I've had Ohlins on my R1100GS until this year and have been very pleased - they've covered over 50k miles of riding, with many hundreds of miles offroad. I just pulled them off for rebuilding, and put on a set of Hyperpros(the Ohlins will go on the project GS when they get back).

So far I like the Hyperpros, but only time will tell how they hold up. I don't have many offroad miles on them yet, just a bunch of local gravel roads. So far, so good. They do have a larger shaft than the Ohlins, and being a steel bodied shock, won't need to be rebuilt quite as often. I picked them up at the MOA Rally for a pretty sizeable discount, so that made it a little less painful.

Good shocks make a tremendous difference. Good luck!
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
estlerd
TXRider

Oddometer: 184
Eh? Wilbers

The post by BobLoblaw is an eye opener as I have Wilbers on my 01 GS. I was concerned with their durability when I installed them. The shaft on my front shock split at the top by the hex wrench as they were being torqued down. I plan to call Ted Porter soon & install something stronger.

Former
99 Ducati Monster
97 BWW F650
96 Honda CBR 600
91 GSXR 750
90 Honda CBR1000F
83 Suzuki GS1100E
79 BMW R100RS
77 BMW R75/7
more dirt bikes than I can remember
estlerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 307
Ohlins

I got my Ohlins from a vendor here, Ohlinspro:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922236

Great guy to deal with, also offers brands, so talk to them and they will match up your style, weight, budget to a great product.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,092
I've had Ohlins on my 2000 R1150 since about 2004. Rebuilt a couple of times and never a problem. Recently my GF got a Touratech Extreem shock for the rear of her F650. That thing is really good! Lots more adjustment than my Ohlins. She rode it for about 8,000 miles fully loaded to AK. No issues at all and she really liked it. I don't think Ohlins has changed their shock in the last 10 years and, like I said, I've never had a problem. But it wouldn't hurt to consider a more modern design that's made for adventure touring.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I have Hyperpro's on mine, 40,000 miles and no issues.
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote