Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #136
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by moist View Post
On first squint your thought makes perfect sense. I know for sure the fuel tank CG makes this thing a freeking pig at slow speeds.

My GS Adventure (NOT GSA) is packing an almost 10 gallon fuel tank. The center fuel cell technology might be feasible, however it could be a troublesome leaker and with the lack of a real frame, space is also amazingly limited. Of course you know the battery is already under the fuel tank.

It loses it's luster when you see the cost versus the existing industry leading tank.
I used to have a 1150GSA and now very well what you mean! Too much weight up there, while the engine is so amazingly low. I couldn't understand, why the fusebox wasn't under the tank, the battery where the fusebox was, and why having a huge airbox where other heavier things could be. Swapping these things around is not trivial, but possible. I think it has been mentioned that the intakes are on the top of the cylinders on the water cooled bike, so that might be an effort towards this direction. It is very interesting how lighter a bike can feel (and this is more important than absolute weight) when CG is low and the boxer engine is the perfect candidate for such an arrangement.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #137
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I used to have a 1150GSA and now very well what you mean! Too much weight up there, while the engine is so amazingly low. I couldn't understand, why the fusebox wasn't under the tank, the battery where the fusebox was, and why having a huge airbox where other heavier things could be. Swapping these things around is not trivial, but possible. I think it has been mentioned that the intakes are on the top of the cylinders on the water cooled bike, so that might be an effort towards this direction. It is very interesting how lighter a bike can feel (and this is more important than absolute weight) when CG is low and the boxer engine is the perfect candidate for such an arrangement.

Mass centralization and reduced cg height should improve the breed. Hopefully it won't make it more time consuming for service and repair.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #138
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
BMW have picked up on the mass centralisation thing with the upcoming K1600 bikes. So the chances are good that the lessons will be applied to the next generation Boxers.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #139
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
with all the capitol being poured into the next generation boxer, i hope they can spare a few bucks and produce a fuel gauge that doesn't trip warning bells and a gauge bezel that doesn't melt in the sun.

WHAT HE SAID..^^^^^^^^^^^ Damhik!!!

I might be wrong, just ask my X...
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #140
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
I left the world of liquid cooled, shim under bucket pull the cams to adjust valves bikes behind when I bought a BMW boxer. First an R1100RS and then the R1200GS. I'm not going back.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #141
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I stumbled across this article about a WRX powered concept bike. Looks interesting: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/10/26/kickboxer-subaru-wrx-powered-motorcycle-concept/

It is a little date, as it was written in October of 2009, but interesting just the same.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #142
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
http://bmwmcmag.com/2011/02/spy-shot...oled-boxer-gs/

English version.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #143
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I left the world of liquid cooled, shim under bucket pull the cams to adjust valves bikes behind when I bought a BMW boxer. First an R1100RS and then the R1200GS. I'm not going back.
It's been quite a while since shim-under-bucket could be regarded as a negative factor. I have a V-Strom 1000 that had a valve adjustment at 15000 miles. I checked again at 30k and 60k, no change. Coming up to 80k now, I don't think I'll even bother with a check at 90k (OK I will check, but I expect the result to be the same - nothing to be done).

I have a new Super Tenere coming, also shim-under-bucket. I expect that to be just as low maintenance. Service intervals for valves are 24,000 miles. The GS is what, 6k? I don't know how well they retain their ajustment, but I suspect, given the frequency of service, it's not a well as the current shim-under-bucket setups.

Trevor
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #144
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
The emperor has no clothes.

That Spanish magazine photo is so blurry I don't see one difference between that bike and the present model. Seriously, I've got this blown up on my 40 inch HDTV and all I see a 2005 r1200gs with boxes and bags. I can't even tell what side the swingarm is on, and if someone else could, it might still be explained by simply reversing the photo. I call shenanigans.
I'm not the only one then. That's an air cooled hex-head with a different beak is all.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #145
Ownitbaby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Bluhduh

I'll just go on riding my 1100GS thanks....16 years old this year and good enough for me. So long as they can keep me supplied with parts I'll keep riding it...maybe for another 16yrs.

We don't neen no stinkin' water cooled, ethenol drinkin', overly complex mumble, mumble fancy pants, Ressen fressen crap......
Ownitbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #146
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,235
They should leave the air/oil cooling and fix the final drive. That would go farther toward selling more bikes.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #147
VeeNeck
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Thumb BMW R 1300 GS - Looking better with more aerodynamic lines

BMW R 1300 GS, Looking better with more aerodynamic lines; front beak, windscreen and cooler looking F800 style rearview mirrors. What looks to be very smart editions are some side gas tank bumpers. As for switching the swingarm to the opposite side I don't understand why all the BMW's do not have them on the same side to begin with? Cant tell in the two photos, as for the photos being reversed, look at the signage and plates. I give the guy total props on the scoop and photos, the upcomming bike details are nothing like the autos, I wish they were. But the frontend look great very F800 meets the GS which sound cool, more aggressive design! and the windscreen does not look so dorky more aerodynamically clean, so less bits you have to farkal the bike up with to make it look good, so maybe we will have a standard GS looking good right out the box for once, more like the tough looking GSA. But I cant wait another 2 years, right now it is all about the Triple Black GS, lets see if they produce a Triple Black GSA I bet you guys would like that.

Looks a little similar to the sexy Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak Edition, which I personally got to sit on and let me tell you that was a cool looking sleek bike, great paint job. The GS is still more ergonomic.

VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #148
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
I'm planning on buying a 2011 GS Adventure in April so of course something like this comes up to complicate my decision.

I will stay the course! Life is to short to always be waiting for the next version that is "better" or "more advanced". Maybe I'll be shopping for a water cooled gs as they are pushing the electrics. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #149
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I'm planning on buying a 2011 GS Adventure in April so of course something like this comes up to complicate my decision.

I will stay the course! Life is to short to always be waiting for the next version that is "better" or "more advanced". Maybe I'll be shopping for a water cooled gs as they are pushing the electrics. :)
then just wait till bmw has to drop the price when the bike is announced.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #150
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
To late.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote