User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #1621
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,404
1610 posts.
This thing has yet to be made and it's already saved alot of fuel.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #1622
SwedishViking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Your thinking is making a lot of sense to me. Enjoyed reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforrester View Post
I have a 2005 GS and have been waiting for the "big change". I ride 80/20 pavement/dirt and usually do at least two longer trips per year. I have had many bikes but have never wanted to get rid of the GS. Too dependable, does everything reasonably well. I was very close to getting a multistrada from Ducati because I like the brand and they perform very well on the street. I recently went on a day ride with my buddy who has a Pikes Peak Multi. We decided to take a detour home along a well traveled dirt fire road. It was technical in some sections but over all it was tame. After about a half mile I looked back and no Ducati. I turned around and it had buried itself in some gravel up to its gearbox. It took some very light feathering of the clutch to get it out. He was in "enduro" mode. So no Ducati for me.

I saw the new Triumph Explorer at the moto show in December and was not impressed. You sit "in" it. Very high tank in front of you. The fit and finish was all plastic and it felt like a giant scooter/moped. One thing I like to tell my friends with Multistradas is that I can kick my bike down a hill, pick it up, and ride home. I did not have that confidence with the Triumph. Also, the frame is almost exactly the same as the GS. It is really a shame how much they copied. At least the Tenere is trying to be a little different.

Engine: I was actually hoping that BMW was going to "retire" the boxer for another engine in the lineup. Trust me, when a new rider to the Adventure Touring segment says they are going to buy a GS your never hear, "Gee, i went with the GS over the Triumph, Ducati, Tenere and Vstrom because of that air cooled boxer engine!" For how wide the boxer is BMW could probably wedge the 1600 in there! I was also thinking that the 1300 would work well also. Heck why not the S1000RR! Also, I know that Rotax also makes some engines for BMW so they might have a 150hp, 100ftlb torque beast they could develop for the GS. Liquid cooling makes all the sense in the world. There are physical limits that just can't be overcome without increased displacement. Trust me, we don't need more displacement in the GS. Just ask BMW, many 1200 GS riders have gone down to the 800GS. This thread is called the "1250" post but I would think they could go with a 1100 boxer and still have a horsepower jump with liquid cooling. Torque is the key to this beast. There is something so satisfying when you are in second gear and roll back the throttle on an uphill dirt section and feel the GS literally move the earth beneath you as you power up the hill. That's torque!

Electronics: half of the posts in ADV are all about how to bypass the canbus or modifying the electronics. Lights, monitoring, GPS, comm systems, electric clothing, blah blah blah...I hope the new GS has plenty of that stuff built in. BMW, don't develop this yourself! Contract with Touratech, Powerlet, Garmin, and others to help you! The biggest things for me are solid protection for the bike in dirt and when it is dropped. Wider foot pegs (pivot pegs). GPS, big lights, great seat that works both sitting and standing, REAL panniers, powerlet outlets everywhere, USB power plug, heated grips, tire pressure monitor, outside temp monitor, trip computer, barometric pressure, elevation, Bluetooth, oh yeah...the kitchen sink as well.

If the engine is up to snuff and full of usable horsepower it must be selectable. Also, turning off ABS easily is key as well. I think three engine modes and three suspension modes are plenty. Just make sure we can tell the difference in our rear ends when we make a change. If its soft suspension, make it soft. If it is hard, by goodness, it better be stiff (insert joke here). can you hire Ohlins to make the suspension? Just so we don't have to all switch when we get the bikes.

Some other things: put the catalytic converter in the exhaust can, makes for a cheap easy modification! Triumph does that and it is great! Do some wind testing on the windshield. One that moves up and down would be cool. Just make sure it covers the rider well. Still unclear why the Adventure has a full windscreen with wings and the base model, does not. Electronic cruise control. Triumph has BMW beat there. Twisting a bolt on my throttle until it "locks" the throttle is not my idea of cruise control. More like suicide. LED headlight and turn signals, wet clutch, larger diameter front wheel, spokes are the only option

Ok, thats my GS rant. See you all next year when I trade in the 2005 for the new GS. Cheers!
SwedishViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #1623
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Originally Posted by rforrester
"...
half of the posts in ADV are all about how to bypass the canbus or modifying the electronics. Lights, monitoring, GPS, comm systems, electric clothing, blah blah blah...I hope the new GS has plenty of that stuff built in."

We've been asking about the hydronic port and what type of QD's will be required . This has not been revealed as of yet.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #1624
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Okay, I'm strange

I must be weird because I like the boxer engine layout, and it was one of several things that led me to BMW.

Super low CG and wonderful power impulses. Of course, engine timing can do wonders with power pulses and contribute to hooking up in low traction, but, I still like the boxer.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned....
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #1625
RedLeg
Itchy and Burning

Oddometer: 69
I didn't read all 100 plus pages because I got distracted by something shiny......so that being said, especially to the nay sayers of water cooling and the comments like rich guys will upgrade to the newer one and then the next newer one..blah..blah..blah. Here, I've got a 1972 Porsche 911 S parked in my garage. I love her, she's simple, she worth almost a hundred thousand, because she's a true S and yes, when Porsche went to the water cooled 911, I almost became an occupier. I now drive a new 911 S and let me tell you..ain't to fucking way in hell you are going to find me in that 1972 911 S on a 115 degree Northern California day..no way..no how. I've had four GS's now, with the latest being a 2011 GSA, and guess what?? When the new water cooled one comes out, I'll buy it and I'll park it next to my 2011 and giggle to myself..and then I'll sell them both and go back to Ducati for a few years and then do it all again.
RedLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #1626
RedLeg
Itchy and Burning

That was a vomiting of thoughts by the way....not sure what it added to the conversation..but hey no one makes any sense anymore so I'm joining them..
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #1627
RedLeg
Itchy and Burning

I'd get fat and grow a beard...but I can't..not the getting fat part but the facial hair part...just can't grow any...I've derailed my own thought process...I'm banning myself as of right now..
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #1628
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
RedLeg self-extrication from unilateral first person banning sub-forum NOW!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #1629
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
I didn't read all 100 plus pages because I got distracted by something shiny......so that being said, especially to the nay sayers of water cooling and the comments like rich guys will upgrade to the newer one and then the next newer one..blah..blah..blah. Here, I've got a 1972 Porsche 911 S parked in my garage. I love her, she's simple, she worth almost a hundred thousand, because she's a true S and yes, when Porsche went to the water cooled 911, I almost became an occupier. I now drive a new 911 S and let me tell you..ain't to fucking way in hell you are going to find me in that 1972 911 S on a 115 degree Northern California day..no way..no how. I've had four GS's now, with the latest being a 2011 GSA, and guess what?? When the new water cooled one comes out, I'll buy it and I'll park it next to my 2011 and giggle to myself..and then I'll sell them both and go back to Ducati for a few years and then do it all again.
I love people like you, so I can buy a nice well cared for used model.Thank you sir.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #1630
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I love people like you, so I can buy a nice well cared for used model.Thank you sir.

Rod
+1

Been riding BMWs nearly 30 years and have yet to buy a brand-new one!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #1631
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
'72 911s

Lucky guy. I'm just a working stiff....

A coworker was grumbling about how his wife was grumbling about how he should sell his 71 911T (converted to S spec). I said, "I'll buy it"! We went back and forth for years. Finally he approaches me to sell it to me, me, as in he is that picky about who buys it....thanks bud, anyway.... As we both go to our corners to research values...

...he comes back and says, nope, I'm keeping it. SHIT!

These 1st gen 911's are getting a cult-like following, it's pissing me off. Now I can't even afford a ratty, rotted, badly kept 1st gen T

About all I can afford of the 1st gens is non-running shells... Yup, I'm jealous....

Sorry for thread kreeeeeep
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #1632
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,734
^ we can only imagine what will happen 30 years from now when all BMWs are water cooled. . . .

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #1633
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
^ we can only imagine what will happen 30 years from now when all BMWs are water cooled. . . .
You mean 2 years from now.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #1634
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
You mean 2 years from now.
I meant the value increase in air cooled Boxers similar to older Porsches. But yes. Two years from now.

I just spoke with a dealer who spoke with certainty that the WaterBoxer will debut in the RT this year. Which makes sense to me. Pretty well connected guy, so I don't doubt it.

I just wonder if there was 'another' bike in the works, and some disagreement which led to Robb's exit. Perhaps the LoRider with the new Boxer.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"

hillbillypolack screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 07:07 PM
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #1635
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
I will still be riding a 2011 R1200 GS Adventure.
portablejohn is online now   Reply With Quote