Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #2191
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
Really good German food - um, isn't that contradiction in terms?
Wießbier, OK, but food?

[TaSK]
Beer aside, currywurst is delicious (for fast food) and sauerbraten can be. Besides any culture that can turn pigs into so much delicious sausage has something going for it. Also beer.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #2192
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
That's good stuff, Def!! You a Navy man? It's not often I run across "Illegitimi non carborundum." My father was a submariner and he's got a lot of patches from the boats with that slogan...

Good stuff.
USN, CA-148, USS Newport News was my last duty assignment.

Now hear this, Intermot training begins at 1800 hours. Lay to. That is all!
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #2193
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I prefer your mission. Can I switch commanders?
Mutiny carries with it severe penalty...be careful.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #2194
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post
I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked. Is that why they use more cylinders on those engines? Maybe we should be after BMW to make a six cylinder GS?

Yes, there is rocking couple in the Boxer twin. That's a different component of engine balance from harmonics. For a given power, displacement and cylinder count, the boxer motor is going to have less vibration than an inline or V configuration. I know this: All of my GS's have been smoother than my 4 cylinder FJR at cruising velocity. I sold the FJR because: The only thing the FJR did better than the GS was go 150mph...
One already exists...it called the Goldwing and it's water cooled.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #2195
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsiwt View Post
2 cylinder boxers aren't that smooth.

Obviously the balance on the BMW boxer isn't that good or there would have been no need for BMW to add that single balance shaft to the 1200 hexhead or camhead.

The balance on the 6 cylinder boxer is excellent with some of the pistons always in motion and very little rocking couple.

The balance on the 4 cylinder boxer is OK but now some rocking couple enters and more 2nd order as there are points where all the pistons stop completely at the same time.

The balance on the 360° 2 cylinder boxers leave a lot to be desired, especially on large cylinder configurations, as the pistons are not directly across from each other due to being on different crank throws with an offset between rod centers. 2 cylinder 360° boxers also have both pistons completely stop and change direction twice per revolution. Lots of higher RPM buzz and rocking couple excitement.

The C/G on the BMW 2 cylinder boxer isn't all that great either as it has a deep wet sump so the crankshaft is high in the crankcase. The crank must also be high to keep the cylinder heads from dragging the ground in turns. That heavy alternator is also way up high way off the engine roll center. The transmission input shaft is high with the counter shaft not much lower.
Correctomundo.

Remember, as RPM changes, the pistons weight influence changes. Also, as the connecting rods reciprocate, a portion of their mass is able to be offset with crankshaft counter weight. But then, the connecting rod mass changes as its reciprocating mass becomes rotation mass....multicylinder engines can be made much smoother and their crankshafts can be made smaller and these engine can rev higher with fewer forces trying to tear them apart.

Take a look at a 4 row radial P&W or Wright aircraft engine sometime if you want to study the dynamics of force and mass in a piston engine.

An electric motor or a turbine is best. There are no reciprocating parts meaning balance is not a problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #2196
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
One already exists...it called the Goldwing and it's water cooled.
And of course legend has it that BMW had a water cooled four banging boxer on the drawing board when they got wind that Honda would have the Goldwing engine on the market first. BMW didn't want to be accused of copying Honda, so they started over. Thus the Flying Brick came to be.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #2197
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Correctomundo.Take a look at a 4 row radial P&W or Wright aircraft engine sometime if you want to study the dynamics of force and mass in a piston engine.
Radials are things of beauty and the English sleeve valve radials were enormously complex.

Quote:
An electric motor or a turbine is best. There are no reciprocating parts meaning balance is not a problem.
Or, viewed slightly differently, balance is a big problem if a turbine wheel or rotor is not in balance, but I digress.

I add nothing to the conversation, but I was moved to speak. Hmm. My new sig line. It's fitting.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2198
ytsiwt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Correctomundo.

Remember, as RPM changes, the pistons weight influence changes. Also, as the connecting rods reciprocate, a portion of their mass is able to be offset with crankshaft counter weight. But then, the connecting rod mass changes as its reciprocating mass becomes rotation mass....multicylinder engines can be made much smoother and their crankshafts can be made smaller and these engine can rev higher with fewer forces trying to tear them apart.

Take a look at a 4 row radial P&W or Wright aircraft engine sometime if you want to study the dynamics of force and mass in a piston engine.

Connecting rod mass can't change unless someone enters the engine and welds on it or grinds on it. Mass is mass sitting still or rotating.

You have anything data wise to show how the mass is changing?

I have looked at radial aircraft engines. Those sure aren't
comparable to a boxer twin. Seems to me those don't have a 360° firing order or 360° crankshaft but instead use a master rod with a single crankshaft pin.
ytsiwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #2199
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parigi View Post
They had this R80 G/S sketch a while ago on Motorrad website, this would be really sweet.

I would be all over this.

Make it about 100lbs lighter than a 1200, air cooled, with a strong subframe.

Instant success.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #2200
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post

Instant success.
Sweet looking bike. I do regret selling my HP2 I'm just hoping their will be another in time.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #2201
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post

Instant success.
Yeah me too and give it a catchy headlight like the other GS's
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2202
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 281
Oh, and no mambo-jambo one side paralever please. Even better, they should hire this S-Kraft guy, as his sketches always make more sense than BMW's. Sorry BMW.
Rant off.
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #2203
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Hope they fix the seat.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #2204
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
Sweet looking bike. I do regret selling my HP2 I'm just hoping their will be another in time.
This actually kept me awake for a while last night... serious....

Picture having about 65 HP with a nice fat torque curve, nice and light (365lbs or so) with the utility of a 1200, scaled down......simple design, easy Maintainence, lots of ground clearance,,,,strong subframe.....oh Man....

This would be the bike I would take to Central and South America.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #2205
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Hope they fix the seat.
Lol! I like that seat....great for offroad work.... I hope they would put a real fender on the front tire though....