Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #2971
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Maybe their comments are based not on wanting or rejecting something new, but from past experience ? BMWs' track record on new bikes has not been exactly stellar in the last decade. .
I wish I could report the same experience as kbasa and Jim Baden, but my 06 GSA1200 had a lot of serious problems. Granted, BMW NA dealt with them all under warranty, but having not one but all the gearbox/engine seals go at least once, can-bus problems with numerous software resets, and clutch issues all within 10K was a complete pita and not what I expect on a premier motorcycle. Thankfully I had no issues with the final drive but know plenty of folks who did. My current ride has not had a singe issue in its first 9K - nothing.

Don't get me wrong I love the new design - almost every aspect of it, and will almost certain order a new ADV when they come out, but I don't want to beta test the product this time around.

MaddBrit screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 06:56 AM
MaddBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #2972
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
When I bought my F650GS (Oct 2010) the only extended warranty available was through a third party (Western Service IIRC).
I thought BMW NA offered extended warranties (100K) on all their bikes. Is this not the case anymore?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #2973
MadOne
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
No release date, but adventure model is always at least a year after GS, so given that GS won't be out until March/April at the earliest, you can expect at least a year from then. The current model adventure will remain in production.
Thank you sir for the straight reply... I have never owned a GS before so I am new to the model and trying to learn as much as possible. I have been riding for almost 30 years on all kinds of bikes... But I have always wanted a bike that can do it all and be comfortable doing it. Looking to do some serious touring when I finally get in the saddle of this bike. So my apologies for the newb questions and thank you again for the reply.
MadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #2974
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
True but the heat is at the rear of the LED module, usually large cooling fins required... front is cold. I read somewhere that there could be a problem in the winter with snow not melting.
Yup, the led headlight on my RK after riding through a snowstorm.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #2975
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit View Post
Thankfully I had no issues with the final drive but know plenty of folks who did. My current ride has not had a singe issue in its first 9K - nothing.
Just curious MB, what is your current ride?

Also, re. the warranty, my original question was if the BMW factory offered an extended warranty or if BMW dealers just offered a 3rd party warranty. The answer seems to be 3rd party only, which gives both the warranty company and factory a lot of opportunity to "wiggle out" of claims. With all the new tech in the GS, I think there might be a lot of interested buyers....in 2015.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #2976
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
It's incredible how many luddites lurk on this thread totally against any- and everything new!
If you don't want to buy or embrace new thechnology so be it.
Get a bicycle with a dynamo and pedal away happy in the knowledge that some new invention won't hinder your progress, or maybe just to be sure, dump the bike and walk barefoot and naked, then there won't be any man made inventions to hinder your life.
Get a life, noone gives a rats ....
Well........Then.

I think it perfectly reasonable to question if the added cost/complexity of a new technology is worth the added benefit, if any, it may have. Are LED headlights really that much better to justify all the extra crap.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #2977
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
Well........Then.

I think it perfectly reasonable to question if the added cost/complexity of a new technology is worth the added benefit, if any, it may have. Are LED headlights really that much better to justify all the extra crap.
Well, I guess yes.
Halogen and incandescent lights in general generate way to much energy loss and not enough light output. I see so many cars on the road with single low-beam, often no break lights working at all...having said that I still recall the first generation HID (the latest and greatest back then) on the 7 series BMW and how expensive they were to replace. Ouch!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #2978
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Luddites rejecting LEDs on a bike w/ an engine designed in 1923.

[inigomontoya]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/inigomontoya]

Not a fan of the look, but I really like this color-
He probably uses it to make himself feel superior and special - he's neither.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #2979
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Beta vs. Lemon

Quote:
I wish I could report the same experience as kbasa and Jim Baden, but my 06 GSA1200 had a lot of serious problems. Granted, BMW NA dealt with them all under warranty, but having not one but all the gearbox/engine seals go at least once, can-bus problems with numerous software resets, and clutch issues all within 10K was a complete pita and not what I expect on a premier motorcycle. Thankfully I had no issues with the final drive but know plenty of folks who did. My current ride has not had a singe issue in its first 9K - nothing.

Don't get me wrong I love the new design - almost every aspect of it, and will almost certain order a new ADV when they come out, but I don't want to beta test the product this time around.
Maybe you just got a lemon. Everyone builds one now and then and they shouldn't be confused with a beta.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2980
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Laugh Neoluddism

Technophobia or neoluddism, check out Wikipedia, one who embraces neoluddism is by definition a luddite(?)
Whatever, I just wrote my dealer to get on the list and I have also, and this was the tough part, informed my SO
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #2981
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
I thought BMW NA offered extended warranties (100K) on all their bikes. Is this not the case anymore?
If that was the case my local dealer didn't mention it. Only X-tended warranty I was offered was via 3rd party.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #2982
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
It's a warranty that you can only buy from BMW but it's underwritten externally as in it isn't an extended manufacturers warranty but more an insurance. The bad thing about them is that all repairs and servicing must be carried out by a dealer where the manufacturers warranty you can get servicing done by any shop so long as it is to the book and genuine parts. This is the case in the EU anyway NA might be different. Not everything is covered either and there tends to be a lot of get outs.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #2983
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I've never heard about it if they do/did. There was some guy that kept a record of all the expenses he incurred putting 100,000 miles on one and it equalled a little more than the price of the bike when he bought it new. He didn't include fuel or scheduled services in the total either. I'll see if I can find the blog & post a link.

If they do offer a 100k warranty, it would have to be uber pricey or extremely limited.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #2984
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Noticed on the International BMW Motorrad site (not USA) 3 different equipment variants.
- Touring
- Dynamik
- Offroad
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #2985
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
...Normally, the light efficiency (photoelectric conversion rate) LED lights is no less than 80lm/W, but the light efficiency of HID lamps can reach up to 90lm/W, halogen lights have even higher light efficiency 201lm/W. According to a recent report, the latest LED technology can increase the light efficiency into a higher level of 161lm/W, which was treated as a breakthrough of LED lighting technology. It is also estimated that in the next 3-5 years, LED light efficiency can be improved by 50% within the same power consuming range. This will not only means that LED lamps will be brighter, but also consumed much less power...
They have the numbers wrong- according to them, regular halogen lights are the most efficient, which is false. Currently LEDs provide the most light per watt of consumed power. Just compare LED, CFL and halogen lights in your local hardware store. One optimist in Vendors rates his 20W light at 3600lm, making it 180lm/W :)
However LEDs are much more sensitive to heat, and must be cooled. On one of the pictures of the BMW light assembly a massive ribbed heatsink can be seen on the bottom. It is possible that the fan doesn't draw an outside air, it simply circulates the air inside the assembly to transfer some heat to the front glass.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31

genka screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:45 AM
genka is online now   Reply With Quote