Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3211
Stub deToe
Stub deToe

Oddometer: 167
Then why are there no System 6 sales in the US? Would there be any liability difference?
'74 R75/6 since new
Stub deToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #3212
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stub deToe View Post
LED issue Stateside is still a work in progress. Suffice to say that I did see a row of small LEDs on the standard headlight array that are used as daytime running lights, that appears to be allowed, but according to the designer, and who would know better, they are still waiting for the US DOT to change the regulations to allow LED for use as the full headlight system. That is not to say that this will not happen by the time they hit these shores, but knowing how slow legislative change takes place, I doubt that they will rush it through just for the sake of BMW motorcycles. Having said that, it would be a very expensive retrofit and likely not allowed to be sold through BMW NA parts anyway. Did that Ducati have running lights or a full system?

This situation is similar to reasons why the BMW System helmets are not sold in the US, but area old just across the invisible border to the north. DOT appears to be the stumbling block.
So how did Ducati and BMW automotive get theirs approved?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #3213
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Re the oil question, no doubt a Synthetic oil as BMW engines are progressing towards closer tolerances and more consistant engine temps etc.

For those of you that have the totally mistaken belief that you can only use a synthetic after so many miles, this new waterboxer will no doubt come from the factory initially with synthetic.

Old wives tales do seem to persist however.
Agree, K16 came with synthetic. I also believe that the new GS will not burn oil either. I'm sure some will bemoan this fact too....
Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #3214
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Then why are there no System 6 sales in the US? Would there be any liability difference?
System 6 iirc fails DOT spec. Afaik this year dot is ahead of ece. Hence the US Schuberth C3 weigh more than their Euro counterparts. Seeing as how Audi, BMW and Ducati (oh and Benz). already have LED vehicles in Califonia I'd be surprised if this new BMW bike couldn't wear them.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #3215
Stub deToe
Stub deToe

Oddometer: 167
Look closely, are those LED running lights or the whole headlight system. The new Motorrad system is a complete package of LEDs. If it was that easy to do, why would the head of design make a point of mentioning it? Wouldn't that be counter-productive?
'74 R75/6 since new
Stub deToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #3216
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Look closely, are those LED running lights or the whole headlight system. The new Motorrad system is a complete package of LEDs. If it was that easy to do, why would the head of design make a point of mentioning it? Wouldn't that be counter-productive?
BMW is claiming to be the first bike to integrate LED daytime running lights AND LED high and low beams. Not the first with LED running lights nor the first with LED headlights. Each of these has been around in other vehicles. Where did you read that it is under review by DOT? I hear a lot of people speculating that may be the case, but I'd like to see if its more than just that?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #3217
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
System 6 iirc fails DOT spec. Afaik this year dot is ahead of ece. Hence the US Schuberth C3 weigh more than their Euro counterparts. Seeing as how Audi, BMW and Ducati (oh and Benz). already have LED vehicles in Califonia I'd be surprised if this new BMW bike couldn't wear them.
It doesn't fail DOT spec because DOT is ahead or behind. The helmet has to be specifically made for DOT in order to pass DOT. DOT requires a very specific headform shape be used and made in three sizes. ECE also requires a very specific headform shape, but different from DOT and manufactured in more sizes. There are many different requirements as well. This is separate from Snell requirements. BMW has simply made the decision to not make a DOT helmet and the same went for Schuberth until recently. By the way, anyone can put the DOT certification on their helmet if they feel they meet the specs, there is no DOT testing that is required. However, DOT does do some spot testing.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #3218
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
It doesn't fail DOT spec because DOT is ahead or behind. The helmet has to be specifically made for DOT in order to pass DOT. DOT requires a very specific headform shape be used and made in three sizes. ECE also requires a very specific headform shape, but different from DOT and manufactured in more sizes. There are many different requirements as well. This is separate from Snell requirements. BMW has simply made the decision to not make a DOT helmet and the same went for Schuberth until recently. By the way, anyone can put the DOT certification on their helmet if they feel they meet the specs, there is no DOT testing that is required. However, DOT does do some spot testing.
Interesting. The dealer that sold me my Scuberth told me that DOT/ECE were the same aside from DOT requires slice protection (eg: you slide into the side edge of a road sign). At the end of the day it comes down to a MFG/dealer not wanting to play with additional hoops.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #3219
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,851
Quote:
By the way, anyone can put the DOT certification on their helmet if they feel they meet the specs, there is no DOT testing that is required. However, DOT does do some spot testing.
Spot testing? I don't think so.

Helmet companies pay independent NHTSA approved labs to test that their product meets FMVSS 218. Results are reported to the NHTSA. You can see the results of that testing on their website... at least up through 2008. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/. You are correct that there is no requirement to test helmets. However, local law may require a driver or a passenger to wear a helmet that meets FMVSS 218 (or other) standards.

Enough about helmets... back to the LC GS.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #3220
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Spot testing? I don't think so.

Helmet companies pay independent NHTSA approved labs to test that their product meets FMVSS 218. Results are reported to the NHTSA. You can see the results of that testing on their website... at least up through 2008. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/. You are correct that there is no requirement to test helmets. However, local law may require a driver or a passenger to wear a helmet that meets FMVSS 218 (or other) standards.

Enough about helmets... back to the LC GS.
Yes, spot testing....not meaning, 'on the spot', but DOT will send some helmets to an independent lab to make sure they meet standards.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #3221
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,455
Quote:
Why would he mention it? Because there are a lot of people who don't pay much attention to details like who did it first and believe the marketing hype.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #3222
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
this new waterboxer will no doubt come from the factory initially with synthetic.
Corvettes come with Mobil1 synthetic right from the factory. They have been doing that since at least '96 that I know of.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #3223
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why would he mention it? Because there are a lot of people who don't pay much attention to details like who did it first and believe the marketing hype.
All I heard him say was that its a first not that the DOT is reviewing. C'mon it ain't rocket science....it's LEDs they've been around for a long time...I use one on my mountain bike, all my flashlights are LED and half the cars on the road have LED running lights.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #3224
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
You guys are hung up on the three letter prefix. AIR, OIL, HEX, and CAM are all nouns. WET is an adjective.
Therefore, my vote is for WATERhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
At last, someone who understands logic.
Hex isn't a cooling mechanism.

The concept is three letters, one syllable, and representative.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #3225
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,455
Quote:
All I heard him say was that its a first not that the DOT is reviewing. C'mon it ain't rocket science....it's LEDs they've been around for a long time...I use one on my mountain bike, all my flashlights are LED and half the cars on the road have LED running lights.
Right but the Ducati Panigale has led headlights standard on the S and Tricolore. What is BMW's "first"?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote