Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #3226
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Right but the Ducati Panigale has led headlights standard on the S and Tricolore. What is BMW's "first"?
Yes that's true...I think what makes BMWs statement also true, although I don't know for a fact is that the statement was that BMW has the first LED headlight AND LED running light. Sigh, this is getting repetitive...
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #3227
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Yes that's true...I think what makes BMWs statement also true, although I don't know for a fact is that the statement was that BMW has the first LED headlight AND LED running light. Sigh, this is getting repetitive...
The Panigale S and Tricolore have full led lighting according to Ducati. I bet that includes running lights, too. BMW probably means "first for the 'adventure segment'" or a German bike or some other subterfuge. It looks like the BMW may have a discrete led daytime running light which is apparently an innovation to brag about. So, is it in addition to the main beam? Perhaps the main beam doesn't come on until some ambient light level determined through very sophisticated algorithms.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #3228
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The Panigale S and Tricolore have full led lighting according to Ducati. I bet that includes running lights, too. BMW probably means "first for the 'adventure segment'" or a German bike or some other subterfuge. It looks like the BMW may have a discrete led daytime running light which is apparently an innovation to brag about. So, is it in addition to the main beam? Perhaps the main beam doesn't come on until some ambient light level determined through very sophisticated algorithms.
Yes, been plenty of previous discussion in this thread about the daytime running light...yes, it is in addition to the main beam.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #3229
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Easy life

Here in olde Europe we don't have DOT to fight with as long as it's approved or deemed to fulfil the standards slap a CE-sticker on it and Bob's your uncle.
But then again we have a lot of shit coming out of Brussels, standards fo for cucumbers for instance.
But we can buy Schuberth's helmets galore.
It's not just DOT, Brussels as well like to show their muscles and are so big that every novelty has to pass every lttle civil servant who has to keep the papers at his desk for a minimum of 2 weeks, whether something si done with them or not.
A full in tray means a busy person and not a lazy one, and then you pass the papers on to someone else in the chain
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #3230
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
I am sure my dark tinted GSA windscreen ( BMW pn#71607708532 ) is not DOT spec. They offer it in EU but not here. I ordered one anyways through MAX. To them it is a part they can sell for money, they aren't concerned with legalities of its use. And unless I get pulled over and the officer is a dick, I will most likely skate on that detail. What is the difference between driving around with your high beam on or an overly bright LED unit? With all the knuckleheads running around with 100w Silver stars, HID's or superbright bulbs, I think the chances of getting pulled over for a LED headlight are slim to none. As far as the expense to retrofit, the only deciding factor is the thickness of your wallet (or whether your wife will let you).
The LED headlight uses less power and it may require reprogramming of the CPU to avoid a "LAMPF" type of error message.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #3231
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Here in olde Europe we don't have DOT to fight with as long as it's approved or deemed to fulfil the standards slap a CE-sticker on it and Bob's your uncle.
But then again we have a lot of shit coming out of Brussels, standards fo for cucumbers for instance.
But we can buy Schuberth's helmets galore.
It's not just DOT, Brussels as well like to show their muscles and are so big that every novelty has to pass every lttle civil servant who has to keep the papers at his desk for a minimum of 2 weeks, whether something si done with them or not.
A full in tray means a busy person and not a lazy one, and then you pass the papers on to someone else in the chain
CE standards are extremely analogous to DOT, as would TUV or whatever other bodies of motor vehicle laws exist around Europe.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #3232
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
You guys are hung up on the three letter prefix. AIR, OIL, HEX, and CAM are all nouns. WET is an adjective.
Therefore, my vote is for WATERhead

Hex isn't a cooling mechanism.

The concept is three letters, one syllable, and representative.

Jim

Who the fu** died and made you Pope of Motorrad?

My local dealer calls them Water Boxers. I can give you their number if you're hell bent on using your terminology.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #3233
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradE View Post

My local dealer calls them Water Boxers. I can give you their number if you're hell bent on using your terminology.
Who cares

Old used oil and the new uses water to achieve ~35% cooling contribution, rest is air so to me not much has changed.
Does 35% make the engine a "water-cooled" wethead engine? Maybe.
The whole thread reminds me sometimes of the iPhone 4 vs. 4s vs. 5 discussion. On all you can make calls just fine but one comes with a larger screen, so what?
The more I read the more I like my 2010 camhead, separate gearbox and dry clutch, what a uniquely complicated and expensive engine! Separate powerful belt driven alternator? Nothing bad about it if you ask me.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #3234
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Who cares

That's exactly my point. No one cares. I think we're all having some fun with the names but some people are taking it way to seriously. This really isn't an "iron fist" kind of site--just roll with it, okay?
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3235
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
CE standards are extremely analogous to DOT, as would TUV or whatever other bodies of motor vehicle laws exist around Europe.
Agree and as far as headlights, ECE is actually more restrictive than DOT...things such as headlamp washers on cars and self leveling for HID are ECE requirements that don't exist with DOT. I think people blow the DOT thing out of proportion, although as with all government agencies there is still a lot of non-sense. DOT is self certifying as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #3236
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,058
Pissed

The last several posts remind what I hate so much about being in this section of ADV rider, everybody's an expert, everyone's worried about their micrometers WAY TOO MUCH!!! Nobodies ridden this damn bike, everyone can argue what they want but the truth is nobody knows a thing about this bike!!! AND really????!!!!......Who the hell cares what to call the next subsection of ADVride!!! Get over it people, get a grip on reality! It's just another bike and not your personal space shuttle!!

I think my grade school teacher said it best, everyone's s**t stinks, if you don't have something positive to say then SHUT THE **** UP!!!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #3237
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I think my grade school teacher said it best, everyone's s**t stinks, if you don't have something positive to say then SHUT THE **** UP!!!
I guess this rule applies to everyone but you.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #3238
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:

I suspect the internet might be a bit too advanced for you!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #3239
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
That's exactly my point. No one cares. I think we're all having some fun with the names but some people are taking it way to seriously. This really isn't an "iron fist" kind of site--just roll with it, okay?
Who the F*&k made you the moderator?

Take your own advice and roll with it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #3240
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Vote?

Can we have a vote somehow? How?
I'd be interested in finding out how many Camhead owners (%) are thinking of upgrading to the Wethead and
how many are waiting for the Adventure version to arrive.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote