Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3346
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
It seems that the new engine sits lower than the older version. This would definitely create lower center of gravity and help stabilize more.
Camera angle I bet.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3347
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I don't think you can tell from the picture, can you? One is just sitting there and the other is loaded. Ground clearance is higher on the new, that would rather indicate a higher center of gravity.
QUOTE=Montauk;19854171]It seems that the new engine sits lower than the older version. This would definitely create lower center of gravity and help stabilize more.[/QUOTE]
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #3348
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka View Post
As I've mentioned before, should I get the tried and proven AC/GS or wait in line, pay full price and get soaked on the new WC/GS? IMHO, my 2009 GS was the best “street/real world” do-it-all machine I've owned (I’m sorry I sold it). With that in mind, how much faster can I really go on the new WC/GS, how much better will it handle? Will it be more comfortable? Etc., Etc.

Well, the more I look at the new WC and its specs, “I feel” (feelings can be deceptive) the sum total of the changes / refinements of the new WC will add up - and out class, and surpass the previous version by a good margin. However, my pocket book is asking me, will it be $5K to $7K better than a used 2011 or 12, which many will be trading in or selling? In short, at this time I don’t which one to get!!!
Only you know that answer. You had an '09 that you say you loved, yet for some reason you got rid of it. Why? And will the '13 address the "why"? If yes, wait and get the '13. If no....get something that will address it. Easy.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #3349
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Typical BMW boxer industrial farting sound.
If you think so you've never owned an 1100 oilhead..
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #3350
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
hiyas Mckletecka ol' friend....i'm in the same boat as you.....based on what i've seen thus far, the WC GS is going to be a better road going bike, i'm sure of it, and that is what draws me to it (the additional weight does not). having said that, i might be pulling the trigger today on a AC GS (new) as a hedge of sorts against both what I might sell (MTS12st) and what I might buy in the future ('13 WC GS). nothing will top the road riding capability of the MTS12s in my eyes, but the simplicity of the current GS (and its refinement) appeals to me more and more by the day. an expensive proposition but one that i'm willing to pay for.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #3351
TomDoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post
@ TEXZEN

New WC-GS

Hauteur de selle à vide850 / 870 mm ((selle basse* 820 / 840 mm, kit de surbaissement* 790 mm / 810 mm) *OE
Arcade entrejambe1870 / 1910 mm (selle basse* 1820 / 1860 mm, kit de surbaissement* 1770 / 1810 mm) *OE

DOHC GS

Altezza sella con peso a vuotoAltezza sella 850/870 mm (sella bassa: 820 mm, ciclistica ribassata: 790 mm)
Arco del cavallo, con peso a vuotoLunghezza al cavallo 1.890/1.940 mm (sella bassa: 1.820 mm, ciclistica ribassata: 1.760 mm)
So the new GS is smaller inseam wise...:(...bad news for us, "proper sized" riders...
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #3352
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
So the new GS is smaller inseam wise...:(...bad news for us, "proper sized" riders...
Why would that be? The instep length is mainly influenced by three things:

1) seat height
2) width of seat at narrowest point
3) width of bike where your legs go down

The only real comfort factor is the first in combination width seat to peg distance as I doubt BMW will make the whole seat narrower. It is likely just better shaped, which isn't very hard as the old one was actually fairly clumsy designed. Other things that got in the way where air intake and and just general shape.

And if you think proper sized means "fat ass" it will still fit you. If you mean "long legged" than again I doubt there will be any difference as long as your knees fit behind the air intakes that are now just in front of the knees. But as the rider on the magazine photo above doesn't look particularly short legged, I don't think that will be a concern either.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #3353
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
You can get the Offroad seat.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/b...ml?prm_action=

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #3354
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The BMW publicity video clearly shows the rider selecting ESA modes with the rotary dial. I have an inkling that the only thing you won't be able to do with it is to control the GPS. It might have been lost in translation "nicht kontrol das GPS" this is true of the RT. in the K1600 the rotary dial controls some GPS functions only if you ordered the bike with GPS prep kit and you used the BMW nav 4. Using the zumo 660 won't work. The latter will power up but no control from the dial. SO my hunch the rotary dial on the gs will allow the rider to scroll thru and select various menu options, except the GPS.
We discussed this same thing a few days ago and seemed like everyone came to the conclusion that the video does not show that... The rotary dial in BMW's option list is called 'preparation for navigation'...that gives me a clue of what it does.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #3355
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
Lion Heart. Sound.

He he hee sounds like a LION growl fucking love it.

Or should i say a Lion at its prime with full of fluids to vapurize : )

McFury. Who is Inn need of a new pussycat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Sounds good. Need to use the embed code.

Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #3356
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
We discussed this same thing a few days ago and seemed like everyone came to the conclusion that the video does not show that... The rotary dial in BMW's option list is called 'preparation for navigation'...that gives me a clue of what it does.
Guess I'm still a naysayer then. I don't believe the wheel is only for Nav. To me it looked like the rider selected what to change (eg: ASC or w/e) then dialed in/set the mode w/the wheel. Again with an I guess it makes zero sense to put the wheel on solely for Nav. Even in the video Nav was never shown, rather an odd omission if the only function the wheel is tied do was that.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #3357
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
If you think so you've never owned an 1100 oilhead..
No, I did. I put around 50k miles on an R1100RS. I thought what I have heard of this new bike's engine/exhaust sound is right in the same ballpark. Not identical, but not far off. IMHO. Besides, I was just trying to get a rise out of... you.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #3358
TomDoe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Yes I know, but on the 2009 GS I have an adventure seat with custom made "hinges" (+ 1 cm height) and I still drag my feet like on a minimoto...:)) (inseam >37 is a b**ch)
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3359
TomDoe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Why would that be? The instep length is mainly influenced by three things:

1) seat height
2) width of seat at narrowest point
3) width of bike where your legs go down

The only real comfort factor is the first in combination width seat to peg distance as I doubt BMW will make the whole seat narrower. It is likely just better shaped, which isn't very hard as the old one was actually fairly clumsy designed. Other things that got in the way where air intake and and just general shape.

And if you think proper sized means "fat ass" it will still fit you. If you mean "long legged" than again I doubt there will be any difference as long as your knees fit behind the air intakes that are now just in front of the knees. But as the rider on the magazine photo above doesn't look particularly short legged, I don't think that will be a concern either.
I was just commenting official inseam length specs:

WC-GS Arcade entrejambe 1870 / 1910 mm
DOHC GS Arco del cavallo, con peso a vuoto Lunghezza al cavallo 1.890/1.940 mm
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #3360
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
GB, will you please provide a link to the publicity video you are referencing? Thanks! Joey
It was posted earlier in this thread.. It's an official bmw video, near the end of it, you see the rider using it, and scrolling back and forth.. Here's another one showing all the functions of the display.. Press ESA, then change the settings with the rotary dial, press the info/menu button and select functions from there with the dial.. very easy to use, very intuitive, I figured it out without reading the owner's manual.. I usually look at the manual only when I'm stuck.

Go to around 4:40 and 5:50

The mode button on the right is to change the driving modes: Enduro, Rain, Road, Dynamic. (different engine maps. ESA, ADC, etc.. push the button then select with the rotary wheel.

GB screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 05:37 PM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote