ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3391
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
With only ~35% cooling attributed to water in what BMW calls "precision cooling", so majority is still air, would we be able to keep the engine running for a longer period without risking it "melting"?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #3392
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
With only ~35% cooling attributed to water in what BMW calls "precision cooling", so majority is still air, would we be able to keep the engine running for a longer period without risking it "melting"?
I guess the same, if not a little better as today's boxers. They don't like the combination of hot weather and running on idle while standing either. Even just running on idle they don't like very much as there is no cooling fan.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #3393
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I guess the same, if not a little better as today's boxers. They don't like the combination of hot weather and running on idle while standing either. Even just running on idle they don't like very much as there is no cooling fan.
The 2013 has a cooling fan for one radiator, the other side has no fan.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #3394
joeybeats
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not that particular one, it was a bit more focused on the display where you could read the various setup / menu options.. but same idea...
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punK_...ure=plpp_video

I don't have a youtube account and have no idea how to post a comment. Perhaps someone here would pose the question in the youtube comment area of these videos if they were scrolling through with the left hand controller or buttons. Maybe even ask directly if they remember what the controller actually controls?

Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:51 AM
joeybeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3395
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
The 2013 has a cooling fan for one radiator, the other side has no fan.
I know. I was referring to the old one. Some people tried adding the fan from the police RT, I never bothered to check how we'll this would work. I just turn off the bike when I'm stuck. And I have been stuck on HW1 North of SF and in SF itself a few times. But it's normally not that hot here anyways.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #3396
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I know. I was referring to the old one. Some people tried adding the fan from the police RT, I never bothered to check how we'll this would work. I just turn off the bike when I'm stuck. And I have been stuck on HW1 North of SF and in SF itself a few times. But it's normally not that hot here anyways.
In the real world cooling was not really an issue so one part of me doesn't like adding water, radiators, thermostat, electric fan.. to the new GS, the old worked just fine with only oil circulating. Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp. Maybe my reaction is similar so somebody wanting to ad a battery to my nice mechanical watch?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #3397
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider
 
Aviatordoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
In the real world cooling was not really an issue so one part of me doesn't like adding water, radiators, thermostat, electric fan.. to the new GS, the old worked just fine with only oil circulating. Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp. Maybe my reaction is similar so somebody wanting to ad a battery to my nice mechanical watch?
^^ is true. Gone are the days of a press to brew coffee, even drip coffee machines are outdated. Its K cups and Keurigs. I guess things move on.
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3398
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp.
I could not care less about the power or the water cooling. Does absolutely nothing, nada, none ... for me. I want to try the new suspension, the new gearbox, clutch combination and the new aero dynamics.

My current bike has 95hp - more than enough for me, don't need to compensate for something and I don't need the "rush" of more power or displacement. That's something for different personalities ...

What the GS is for me is the perfect travel bike. I might like one for exactly that and still keep the Tiger as the much lighter, more flickable, fun machine.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #3399
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here
 
Emperor Norton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North of Alcatraz
Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatordoc View Post
^^ is true. Gone are the days of a press to brew coffee, even drip coffee machines are outdated. Its K cups and Keurigs. I guess things move on.
That shiat ain't coffee. It's outhouse sludge.
__________________
Pics of whatever/where ever http://joee.smugmug.com
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #3400
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I could not care less about the power or the water cooling. Does absolutely nothing, nada, none ... for me. I want to try the new suspension, the new gearbox, clutch combination and the new aero dynamics.

My current bike has 95hp - more than enough for me, don't need to compensate for something and I don't need the "rush" of more power or displacement. That's something for different personalities ...

What the GS is for me is the perfect travel bike. I might like one for exactly that and still keep the Tiger as the much lighter, more flickable, fun machine.
OK, that's a good point. If the engine precission cooled or not is more fun that would work for me. All the things you mentioned I'm expecting an incremental update over the camhead but not revolutionary, only Apple operates is in the miracle/revolution world but not BMW. I may be stupid but I'm liking the toys, the new windshield adjustment mechanism (where's the electric motor for that?) and the new instrument cluster...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #3401
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
All the things you mentioned I'm expecting an incremental update over the camhead but not revolutionary, only Apple operates is in the miracle/revolution world but not BMW. I may be stupid but I'm liking the toys, the new windshield adjustment mechanism (where's the electric motor for that?) and the new instrument cluster...
I'm on the same page. I like literally all the improvements and really think the engine is the least important for someone like me and my riding style. I like all the little improvements and I hope that the new suspension will be better for lightweight folks like me than the old one was.

On the other hand - the new Multistrada has pretty much the same new suspension technology and that is one sexy beast. I'll have to test ride one again when the 2013 models come to the states.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #3402
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry
 
SQD8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Village: 7553'34"W, 4517'42"N
Oddometer: 7,395
Love the new WC boxer, a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see if another S or HP model is coming.

I like the new sound, not anemic as in the past. I even like the side panels that some have panned; seriously, you're writing off a bike based on that...

All in all, a good effort, a nice upgrade to an instant classic / class benchmark.
__________________
2006 BMW HP2E, 2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster. Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.

SQD8R screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 02:12 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #3403
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Love the new WC boxer, a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see if another S or HP model is coming.

I like the new sound, not anemic as in the past. I even like the side panels that some have panned; seriously, you're writing off a bike based on that...

All in all, a good effort, a nice upgrade to an instant classic / class benchmark.
We're all BMW enthusiasts or owners here. I like the new GS however without ever having seen it/sitting on it/riding it everything is up for speculation.
One thing I know for sure. BMW Motorrad is leaving some of it's Boxer tradition behind, good or bad I don't know. Adding to this: I can't wait for BMW to introduce the water-cooled GSA.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:57 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #3404
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer
 
kiwiAdventure's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,409
I've just arrived home from an all day ride on a demo 2012 800gs. I enjoyed the bike on gravel but did not enjoy the buzzing / tingling to my hands and body took once I got on the freeway. An hour after getting home my body still has a buzzing / tingling feeling. Wind buffeting was another problem as I lke to ride without a visor. This can be solved with another screen proberly but the buzzing / tingling to me is something I could not put up with. I've had a few 1200 gs and could easily ride the 1200 any where an 800 can go but like the small size of the 800gs. i did ride a 2012gs for 50 miles and this was as smooth as silk but ill have wait to have a ride of the 2013 1200gs.

I like the added cruise control but why was heated seats not added to the 2013 1200gs.
__________________
BMW 1200gs 16
BMW 450 enduro 09
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #3405
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
I've just arrived home from an all day ride on a demo 2012 800gs. I enjoyed the bike on gravel but did not enjoy the buzzing / tingling to my hands and body took once I got on the freeway. An hour after getting home my body still has a buzzing / tingling feeling. Wind buffeting was another problem as I lke to ride without a visor. This can be solved with another screen proberly but the buzzing / tingling to me is something I could not put up with. I've had a few 1200 gs and could easily ride the 1200 any where an 800 can go but like the small size of the 800gs. i did ride a 2012gs for 50 miles and this was as smooth as silk but ill have wait to have a ride of the 2013 1200gs.

I like the added cruise control but why was heated seats not added to the 2013 1200gs.
I hear ya on the f800 buzziness. I had an F800ST and that's one thing I disliked about it....traded it in for a R1200GS and am very happy. I wouldn't mind having heated seats on the new GS too, not sure why BMW left them off...probably because they don't want to hear the dirt faithful moaning that the new GS has been turned into a street touring bike...which of course it is Do any of the other adventure bikes offer heated seats?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015