Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #3526
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It significantly reduces water/mud splash against the headlights, it funnels air to the oil cooler, it slightly protects the Telelever from stuff thrown at it from vehicles ahead.
and don't forget about the stabilizing at high speed

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #3527
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
and don't forget about the stabilizing at high speed
That it doesn't do as far as I'm aware. Their are aerodynamic effects of course, but not regarding stability.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3528
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
area ahead of the CG is destabilizing, not stabilizing.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #3529
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Not on the GS. The front lever also activates rear brakes, but the foot lever activates only rear brakes.

Btw: it's in your own FAQ ...
I wasn't saying the GS had linked brakes, read the context.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #3530
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
For years and years, they've been chastised repeatedly and vehemently for being stubborn about their non-standard turn signal switchgear. So they finally change it and now we have folks up in arms about the change.

So to keep it effed up, they put the high beam switch on the front of the switch cluster.

Stubbornness lives.
Fixt.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3531
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Bike Show in Atlanta

I had the opportunity to sit on the new 2013 GS tonight at the bike show in Atlanta. BMW had a rather large section there, but only one 2013 water-boxer. I'm still pretty much a n00b so take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on the new bike after seeing it in person:

I like it, probably more than I thought I would. I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb, but I actually had to look around for a minute. The seating position was very comfortable. I couldn't really feel the added weight although I'm sure the tank was empty and there were no cases.

It feels like the pegs are a little lower and further forward, but it didn't have a center stand so I couldn't fully test it out. It was nice not having the intake hose bumping into my shin. As far a seat hight goes. The guy didn't know what setting it was on, but I could barely flat-foot it. It seemed like it was about the same height as my '09. The SEAT: Was much, much, much better! I know that's not saying much for the standard GS, but in the 5 minutes I spent on it it felt a lot more comfortable. It was wider in the back, and narrower in the front.

The SPORK: As everyone likes to call it. In person it doesn't seem to stand out as much. The two fangs cover up the dual radiators and actually taper in towards the bike nicely. They don't seem to be such an eye sore in person. I could see a lot of owners painting them a darker color and feeling good about it.

The adjustable windshield was nice and really easy to use. I will say the whole set up seemed a little flimsy, so I'm sure Touratech will have a nice aftermarket version that holds up better. Unfortunately this one did not have the new LED light I like so much.

That's my take.

PS: I have about 5 photos I took on my iphone. If someone would like to post them on here just PM me your e-mail and I'd be happy to email them to you to post.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3532
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I wasn't saying the GS had linked brakes, read the context.
You know, the context here is the water cooled GS. I think, I got that fairly straight. What your implied context is that you're not including in your little joke isn't very obvious ...

So, I can only say, if the GS wasn't the context, you're posting in the wrong thread.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #3533
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?
Quote:
You know, the context here is the water cooled GS. I think, I got that fairly straight. What your implied context is that you're not including in your little joke isn't very obvious ...

So, I can only say, if the GS wasn't the context, you're posting in the wrong thread.

Apparently you need a roadmap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I would be willing to bet there are more people that appreciate the industry standard switches than dislike them. While I like the independant switchgear signals of BMW and HD, I really dislike how the BMW cancels...making me do anything with my throttle hand just downright pisses me off. There is no need for it...completely uncalled for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?

Nevermind if you don't get it from this.

I was mearly making a joke in reference that he didn't want to do anything but throttle with his right hand.

To do that he would have to have linked brakes. I was NOT saying the GS had linked brakes. Clear enough?

Jim
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #3534
cug
--

I get that you were making a joke - but what I found way funnier is that the linked brakes on the GS work in a way that this doesn't work out. And that I found your FAQ as the first hit in google was more than ironic.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #3535
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I get that you were making a joke - but what I found way funnier is that the linked brakes on the GS work in a way that this doesn't work out. And that I found your FAQ as the first hit in google was more than ironic.
Not ironic if I WASN"T TALKING ABOUT A GS!

Jim
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #3536
FlyLow
Just Ride

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
An option for different turn signal switches? That would be wacky and a nightmare to keep stock in the channel since it wouldn't be something that couldn't be easily swapped at the dealer level. Should Triumph have an option for right-side-shifting/left-side-braking for those wanting to match their 1969 Bonny?

This is a classic example of a no-win for BMW. For years and years, they've been chastised repeatedly and vehemently for being stubborn about their non-standard turn signal switchgear. So they finally change it and now we have folks up in arms about the change.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Get over it. Adapt.

- Mark
Adapt - get over it - what kind of conforming language is that?
I trust that BMW did it to save money by sourcing a standard switch, save money and satisfy the masses all at the same time - good for them.
The rest of us that truly enjoy the individually of a BMW - down to the smallest detail of even a switchgear will just have to be stuck in the past - I am actually fine with that.
FlyLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #3537
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
I had the opportunity to sit on the new 2013 GS tonight at the bike show in Atlanta. BMW had a rather large section there, but only one 2013 water-boxer. I'm still pretty much a n00b so take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on the new bike after seeing it in person:

I like it, probably more than I thought I would. I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb, but I actually had to look around for a minute. The seating position was very comfortable. I couldn't really feel the added weight although I'm sure the tank was empty and there were no cases.

It feels like the pegs are a little lower and further forward, but it didn't have a center stand so I couldn't fully test it out. It was nice not having the intake hose bumping into my shin. As far a seat hight goes. The guy didn't know what setting it was on, but I could barely flat-foot it. It seemed like it was about the same height as my '09. The SEAT: Was much, much, much better! I know that's not saying much for the standard GS, but in the 5 minutes I spent on it it felt a lot more comfortable. It was wider in the back, and narrower in the front.

The SPORK: As everyone likes to call it. In person it doesn't seem to stand out as much. The two fangs cover up the dual radiators and actually taper in towards the bike nicely. They don't seem to be such an eye sore in person. I could see a lot of owners painting them a darker color and feeling good about it.

The adjustable windshield was nice and really easy to use. I will say the whole set up seemed a little flimsy, so I'm sure Touratech will have a nice aftermarket version that holds up better. Unfortunately this one did not have the new LED light I like so much.

That's my take.

PS: I have about 5 photos I took on my iphone. If someone would like to post them on here just PM me your e-mail and I'd be happy to email them to you to post.

Any info on pricing and availability?
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #3538
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
Any info on pricing and availability?
The guy said it would be $100 less than the current model. It sounded like a line BMW has trained him to spit out reflexively. When I pressed for details it seemed like that price was for a very, very base model. There were no actual numbers posted anywhere. Still, the fact that it's in the ballpark price wise of the outgoing model is nice.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #3539
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
Adapt - get over it - what kind of conforming language is that?
I trust that BMW did it to save money by sourcing a standard switch, save money and satisfy the masses all at the same time - good for them.
The rest of us that truly enjoy the individually of a BMW - down to the smallest detail of even a switchgear will just have to be stuck in the past - I am actually fine with that.
I suppose someone will be selling a kit, anybody buying one of these bikes can surely afford the whaleskin farkle.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #3540
cug
--

Quote:
I couldn't really feel the added weight although I'm sure the tank was empty and there were no cases.
That's not really surprising as it weighs the same as the old GS. The difference is that it was theoretically possible to get the old one without ABS and that made a few kg difference, but with it was also always measured around 240kg (new one is said to be 238kg, so I guess we can count that as the same).

Quote:
It was nice not having the intake hose bumping into my shin. As far a seat hight goes. The guy didn't know what setting it was on, but I could barely flat-foot it.
What's your inseam? Just out of curiosity as I neither need to get both feet down nor would I have problems (I'm "only" 6' but can still flatfoot the current GS Adventure with the seat in high).

The more interesting question is: as BMW moved the intakes to the top of the cylinder and cleaned up the area behind them, did that make the bike feel more narrow in the area where you put your legs down at standstill? Just curious as my wife was asking. Don't think she'd ride a GS, but she probably could ...

Look at this comparison old vs. new:

I scaled them so that the handlebars are exactly the same width. Don't know whether that is actually true or not, the new one ends up being longer, but there is quite a difference in shape in the whole seat area. Very interesting. Could make it easier to handle for the shorter folks without actually sacrificing seat height or seat to peg distance.

I also thought that the windshield / fairing area was much wider, but it really isn't that much.

I also thought that the exhaust looked narrower than on the old, but from that perspective it really isn't. Looks about the same, just the other side. The more I look at this bike the more I like what I see.