Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #346
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

What are you saying there? K&N filters don't filter?! Amsoil makes the same design in a blue color, the color must make the difference.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #347
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Foam Filter!

Best for dirt riding . K&N best for street.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #348
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post

I think the castrol logo is pretty. So I use castrol.. If it says "toyota recommends mobil 1" No skin off my nuts to use mobil one or not to.
That's why I've used Valvoline. I like the name and the logo.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #349
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
What are you saying there? K&N filters don't filter?! Amsoil makes the same design in a blue color, the color must make the difference.

Amsoil filters are foam and K&N are a cotton fiber. How many dirt bikes run K&N filter instead of foam?
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #350
island808
We are 100% SNAFU

Oddometer: 423
Pretty sure K&N recommends having a filter as well as a K&N if you're going to be filtering actually dirty air.
I stopped using one due to ... well logic. You can see light through it... plenty big holes for sand to get through potentially but I also have an anecdote.
So the tale goes, I over oil the darn K&N.. pretty typical. BUT.. the rest of the tale goes, my inlaws live on a dirt road. Visiting them for a couple weeks, go back and forth on their dirt road. Not far each time.
Later, go to clean my filter. My MAF screen is coated with oily mud, because it didnt stop the dust at the filter.

and amsoil? really. MLM stuff? Who buys stuff from pyramid scheems. Generally suckers that get involved in MLM schemes. You can keep your amway ,mary kaye, pampered chef, watch tower and amsoil.

But that's neither here nor there regarding wet heads.
island808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #351
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,220
Mobil 1 15-50 bought at wally world and stock air filters. The only way to go.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #352
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Back in the good old days I used to run a chassis dyno tuning business for cars. I tested over 100 different K&N filter installations where I ran the stock air filter, measured the power, and then replaced the filter with a K&N and measured the power again. Did I say I did this at least 100 times? In all but one instance, the cars lost power with the new K&N filter. The lone exception was a Volkswagon Corrado. K&N air filters are useless, they don't filter the air as well as a stock paper filter and they rob your car of power. K&N is pure marketing hype with no substance. How David Vizard ever gave them an honorable endorsement is one of life's great mysteries.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #353
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post

Amsoil filters are foam, and K&N are a cotton fiber. How many dirt bikes run K&N filter instead of foam?
I just checked the Amsoil site. Amsoil air filters aren't even as good as that.

They're paper! Wait, correction, Nanofiber Technology
http://www.amsoil.com/a/nanofiber-synthetic-air-filter
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Check out how the paper, ooops sorry, Nanofiber Technology air filters are cleaned:
From Amsoil.com: Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45-degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #354
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Check out how the paper, ooops sorry, Nanofiber Technology air filters are cleaned:
From Amsoil.com: Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45-degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).
Wow! You clean their nanofiber technology just like paper!

Is their motto, "When ordinary paper isn't papery enough" and "When ordinary synthetic oil isn't syntheticy or oily enough"?

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #355
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
Back in the good old days I used to run a chassis dyno tuning business for cars. I tested over 100 different K&N filter installations where I ran the stock air filter, measured the power, and then replaced the filter with a K&N and measured the power again. Did I say I did this at least 100 times? In all but one instance, the cars lost power with the new K&N filter. The lone exception was a Volkswagon Corrado. K&N air filters are useless, they don't filter the air as well as a stock paper filter and they rob your car of power. K&N is pure marketing hype with no substance. How David Vizard ever gave them an honorable endorsement is one of life's great mysteries.
The only way to make a meaningful comparison between air filters is to tune the mixture so that AFR is the same. Otherwise, how do you expect a free flow filter to perform better, when chances are that your running too lean???

PS.
DNA filters are another story than KN. The only free-flow filter that I would trust with dust.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #356
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krupa View Post
Some of you may be getting all excited about this, but I see this as analagous to what car companies do with successful cars. They have to "improve" them each year so they make them bigger and clutter them up with accessories that bastardize the concept. While technology improved on the airhead design (EFI is a great example in my view), BMW keeps adding electric this and ring that with servo assisted whatever. I don't want all that. I want a simple, easy to maintian and fixable bike wherever you find yourself. Give me a clutch cable versus hydraulic. I'll take manually adjustable shocks over EWS. Why the hell would you put that ring antenae crap on a bike that you take around the world? Just something else to break!

Sorry, but a radiator is more complexity, something else to go wrong, something that adds to the difficulty (and expense) of service. Yes boxers get hot in traffic, but do I want to add all that crap?

I am not anti improvement. I would take a wet clutch, but only if its more accessible and easier to fix than the current dry single plate clutch. I like the current clutch, but it is not easily servicable anywhere but the dealer.

So some of you may get excited about the radiators, but count me out. I like simple for this kind of bike.
+1 there Larry. I hate to make the comparison but the big red pig (XR 650) and Beemers have been oil/air cooled for centuries and it still works. Who the hell wants a water pump, radiator, hoses, clamps, gaskets, pinhole leaks.....for what? A few extra horsepower? Who needs the extra weight and complexity? KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid).
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #357
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker View Post
+1 there Larry. I hate to make the comparison but the big red pig (XR 650) and Beemers have been oil/air cooled for centuries and it still works. Who the hell wants a water pump, radiator, hoses, clamps, gaskets, pinhole leaks.....for what? A few extra horsepower? Who needs the extra weight and complexity? KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid).

XR650 aint air/oil cooled!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #358
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker View Post
You say KISS about a bike with 7 computers on it?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #359
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
XR650 aint air/oil cooled!
My mistake, my BRP XR400 was air/oil cooled. As much of a dinosaur as it was, the bike was simple and it worked.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #360
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You say KISS about a bike with 7 computers on it?

Jim
I welcome CanBus, electronics, FI, O2 sensors, computers etc. Can't get too simple, that's like saying I want to go back breaker points and capacitor ignition.