Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3871
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmoon View Post
Anyone care to comment on the possibility that heat radiation from the radiators onto the rider's thighs might be problematic in warm weather?
I recall someone posting a picture showing a small deflector in place to move the air away from the rider's legs...how effective it will be, who knows.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #3872
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,269
Quote:
Anyone care to comment on the possibility that heat radiation from the radiators onto the rider's thighs might be problematic in warm weather?
I sat on the bike at the San Mateo show. From that perspective I don't think your thighs will feel any heat at all.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #3873
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Pssst. Ever heard of irony?

This whole topic about too hot ... I have never rode a bike that was too hot to ride in proper riding gear. And I rode a few ...
Really? I've been on more than a few that were very toasty.

This is a potential problem on any bike with high mounted (most commonly side mounted) radiators that discharge their heat load along the side of the bike. The Yamaha FJR had this problem for many years. I'm sure there are others.

Never, ever had an issue with heat riding on my GS1200 oilheads.

I suspect that given the relatively minor role that the water cooling plays vs.air cooling it will not be a problem. Time will tell.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #3874
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I sat on the bike at the San Mateo show. From that perspective I don't think your thighs will feel any heat at all.
Thanks. If the heat discharge is directed low and laterally enough it shouldn't be a problem.

I've just been on a few bikes with high lateral radiators where the heat from the radiator dumps right on the legs, either while in progress or, worse, when the fan is running while stopped. Not usually an issue on normal or cool days. Can be unpleasant on hot days.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #3875
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Really? I've been on more than a few that were very toasty.
Really. And I rode Honda STs, FJRs, and others that are supposed to grill their owners. Never noticed. When it was that warm, I had other issues. But I wear full gear 99% of the time. Even in heat. I rather sweat than loose my skin ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #3876
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yes, it'll be too hot. You won't like. Leave the first year bikes to the ones who don't care ...
: ) Nice try.

I am really intrigued by this bike. First one to get my juices flowing in quite a while. I somehow managed to miss getting down to the local motorcycle show a few weeks ago so I don't think I'll be seeing one of these babies in the flesh any time soon. : (
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #3877
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Jim! Are you getting the new Wet Head? I'll be doing my own repairs, so would love to see you diving into the bike. Maybe I can offer help with video/editing.
I plan on it!

I am trying to justify it for the business you know!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #3878
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
Lookng at the recently released photos of this new powerplant, I am pleased that it gets the multiplate wet clutch, and access to the clutch internals seems to easier than any previous boxer twin. Looks to be a simple matter of draining the oil, popping off a cover, with only needing a new gasket and oil to put back together.

My Airhead GSPD can have the clutch accessed by removing the transmission & Paralever assembly with the motor in place. It is my understanding that Oilheads require complete removal of the engine/transmission assembly to access the clutch. Clutch work should be rare on this new unit, and easy to perform, without major disassembly of the motorcycle.

My question is, could the transmission be as easy to service? Looks to me that one could remove the Paralever assembly and pull the rear cover while the motor/transmission case are still in the frame (think "trap door" transmissions, like the old Harley Sportsters). Not that this type of access should be necessary very often, if ever, in the life of the motorcycle, unless they leave a circlip or something out of this new transmission.....!

Tom in Salem

The R-series oil and hex heads do not need the motor removed to replace the clutch. It is the same as the airheads. The new Wethead looks like it will be like most modern bikes in that you will be able to do it without removing the trans at all.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #3879
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
LB Show and LEDs confirmed for U.S.

Good news, confirmation at the Long Beach Show tonight that DOT has approved LEDs for U.S.

Here is a pic from the show!

EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3880
marchyman
Cam Killer

Quote:
Thanks. If the heat discharge is directed low and laterally enough it shouldn't be a problem.
If anything feels heat (and I don't think it will) it will be your knees, not your thighs.

What you can't tell from that picture is how far out (toward the viewer) the heat is directed.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #3881
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Quote:
If anything feels heat (and I don't think it will) it will be your knees, not your thighs.

What you can't tell from that picture is how far out (toward the viewer) the heat is directed.
Nice shot. Thanks.

With the bike in motion the air flow around the bike is going to drive the heat flow from the radiator straight back, towards the knee and calf, regardless of how the discharge channel is structured. The only question is how hot the discharge is going to be. Hopefully it won't be much.

In cold weather, that bit of heat will be welcome, I'm sure. It hardly ever gets hot in my neck of the woods, so I suppose the question of heat discharge is kind of silly for me to even be worrying about.

I guess I'm trying to find an excuse to NOT buy one of these things. So far, I'm not coming up with much.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #3882
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Good news, confirmation at the Long Beach Show tonight that DOT has approved LEDs for U.S.
FANTASTIC, definitely one of the accessories that I really wanted!
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3883
marchyman
Cam Killer

Quote:
I guess I'm trying to find an excuse to NOT buy one of these things. So far, I'm not coming up with much.
My bank account is hopping that I won't like the eventual test ride I'll take.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #3884
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
My bank account is hopping that I won't like the eventual test ride I'll take.
Boy, is that the truth!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #3885
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 208
I was there

Today I sat on my next bike, the 2013 Liquid Cooled R1200GS. It was truly awesome!

In person, at the Long Beach show, the bike appears thinner and perhaps even shorter than my 2010 R1200GS. The LED lights are super bright (no need for Denalis, Glendas, etc. or any other triangles) and the seat (which like all BMWs must be replaced) moves up and down and lower and higher in front and/or back. The corporate guy from New Jersey quietly told us what he could (and stalled us when he couldn't or shouldn't) about the bike's attributes, which are many.

I cannot wait for mine.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote