ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4186
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 332
.
Doubt that the new GSA will come in any lighter than the ordinary GS, to improve its off-roading.

Still, it will leave room for the 800 twin to go to 900cc.

And maybe, just maybe, a really lightweight 600 twin that would be something far more of a pleasure on dirt ~ plus having the ability for reasonably fast highway stretches.
.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #4187
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Personally my feelings are that the GS is much more aimed at the road (85%) market. If you want to get your bike off road and treat it mean I would wait for the GSA. I could be wrong but I think it will be more suitable and a bit more rugged. Separating the two models a bit further than a bit higher and a bigger fuel tank that they are now.
Not sure why you think the GSA is more suitable...basically the same bike but heavier and more top heavy. Gotta go smaller, lighter, bigger front wheel, etc. if you want more dirt worthy.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #4188
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,969
With the dizzying amount of ride modes, traction control and ABS, linked brakes... BMW should have included one more item; The turn all this shit off and give me control of my bike button.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #4189
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,445
One does have to wonder about the reliability of skyhook suspension and other electronics gadgets as time passes. Guess that won't matter for those who trade up in 2-3 years when the next latest greatest incarnation is released.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #4190
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
With the dizzying amount of ride modes, traction control and ABS, linked brakes... BMW should have included one more item; The turn all this shit off and give me control of my bike button.
The ride modes are to give you control!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4191
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
One does have to wonder about the reliability of skyhook suspension and other electronics gadgets as time passes. Guess that won't matter for those who trade up in 2-3 years when the next latest greatest incarnation is released.
BMW has been using Sachs dynamic suspension in cars for years...never heard of a problem with it.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #4192
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,344
nay-sayers, geez
__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #4193
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
BMW has been using Sachs dynamic suspension in cars for years...never heard of a problem with it.
I'm guessing they had to shrink/modify the components to adapt it for motorcycle use, and it will have a harder life on some bikes. Time will tell.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #4194
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm guessing they had to shrink/modify the components to adapt it for motorcycle use, and it will have a harder life on some bikes. Time will tell.
You mean the software and the chip that controls it But the good thing is that it's optional, so you don't need to get it if you don't want it.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #4195
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Not sure why you think the GSA is more suitable...basically the same bike but heavier and more top heavy. Gotta go smaller, lighter, bigger front wheel, etc. if you want more dirt worthy.
The current GSA is very similar but who is to say the WC one will be. As I said they may choose to separate the models more than they currently are. GS more a road bike and GSA more off road.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #4196
Corkonian
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 119
Irish pricing -
bmw-r-1200-gs/prices-and-specifications.html
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #4197
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
nay-sayers, geez
Seriously! I'm certainly no fan-boy, but geez!!! What do people want? Make the GS too small, then people complain it isn't tour worthy. Take away all the gadgets of ALL sorts and then its over-priced and old-fashioned....give it too much HP and its now trying to compete w/ a Multi. Make it too tour worthy and now it sucks off-road.

I still maintain that the GS is one of the best full size tour bikes that can take you and a passenger down any path, road, interstate loaded with luggage for several days and do it with ease...so long as you have ground clearance.

Its got an optional 1000$ LED headlight. So what!!!! Some of us love that shit!!! You can buy fancy automatic suspension....so what!!!! Lots of people love that shit too. For 20k, give or take, a lot of people will demand they get the latest technology and innovations. And I mostly agree.

I say all the naysayers of technology...of anything with a circuit board...of anything over 105HP (*gasp*)...go buy a 10 year old KLR and stop belly-aching about technology and overweight bikes.

Sorry.........[/rant]

__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #4198
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Seriously! I'm certainly no fan-boy, but geez!!! What do people want? Make the GS too small, then people complain it isn't tour worthy. Take away all the gadgets of ALL sorts and then its over-priced and old-fashioned....give it too much HP and its now trying to compete w/ a Multi. Make it too tour worthy and now it sucks off-road.

I still maintain that the GS is one of the best full size tour bikes that can take you and a passenger down any path, road, interstate loaded with luggage for several days and do it with ease...so long as you have ground clearance.

Its got an optional 1000$ LED headlight. So what!!!! Some of us love that shit!!! You can buy fancy automatic suspension....so what!!!! Lots of people love that shit too. For 20k, give or take, a lot of people will demand they get the latest technology and innovations. And I mostly agree.

I say all the naysayers of technology...of anything with a circuit board...of anything over 105HP (*gasp*)...go buy a 10 year old KLR and stop belly-aching about technology and overweight bikes.

Sorry.........[/rant]

I'm sure you already know this, but there's always going to be people who gripe. It's just the nature of consumerism. I rarely pay mind to people that bitch about an already fantastic brand and product.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #4199
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
The current GSA is very similar but who is to say the WC one will be. As I said they may choose to separate the models more than they currently are. GS more a road bike and GSA more off road.
That's always a possibility....
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #4200
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I'm sure you already know this, but there's always going to be people who gripe. It's just the nature of consumerism. I rarely pay mind to people that bitch about an already fantastic brand and product.

Yeah.....I know.....I guess I was just griping about the griping. It's winter and I'm spending too much time on the forum and not enough riding!!

__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015