Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #4546
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,623
Are they considering charging the second rider with some sort of crime? Possibly from failing to miss the first rider. I have been in groups, and there is always some tail gating. I have done it too, when I first started riding was the worst, now I have more skill, I keep track of more things

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #4547
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm not ignoring anything negative at all, and have only read a small handful of reviews. One I read last night was in MCN, and editor clearly state that he doesn't do off road. It seemed odd, as I would have thought they'd have experienced off road journos only, but guess they need the input of a road biased journo as well.

I want BMW and the accident investigators to get their finger out and tell us what the hell happened now. I, like many others, have a lot of money at stake on this new bike, so want to know for our own peace of mind.
Are you serious??

A man died and you're worried your new bike... If you're worried about your money, cancel your order and wait for the thorough investigation. I can assure you there will be plenty of new GSs.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #4548
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
This maybe pre-mature, but is anyone who has a deposit down on the bike ordering crash bars?
http://shop.touratech.com/stainless-steel-crash-bar-bmw-r1200gs-from-2013.html
I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering them now so I can immediately install them when i get the bike. Any of you inmates already ordered any Touratech farkles?
I had a look at the touratech catalog and ordered for about 1500 euro (1800 dollars). But I am still sticking with the BMW cases.

Hope to get them when I get my bike (15th March).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #4549
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I had a look at the touratech catalog and ordered for about 1500 euro (1800 dollars). But I am still sticking with the BMW cases.

Hope to get them when I get my bike (15th March).
Speaking of the catalog, I saw that there are Zega Pro2 cases coming. Didn't realize they had a new version coming out.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #4550
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,037
New post about it in MCN...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ampaign=widget
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #4551
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I really enjoyed reading that! Hope more Q&A will come.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #4552
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Is this a mistake? (from the MCN Q&A link above)

"For high mileage riders who don't fancy servicing themselves, does the new engine promise reduced servicing, and improved economy versus the old model?
Service intervals are actually the same as the old model, 600 mile first service then every 6,000 miles thereafter"

The camhead is 600, then the first 6000 miles, but after that it's every 12000 miles for the valve adjustment checks... Will the wethead follow the same interval as the camhead for valve checks?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #4553
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Is this a mistake? (from the MCN Q&A link above)

"For high mileage riders who don't fancy servicing themselves, does the new engine promise reduced servicing, and improved economy versus the old model?
Service intervals are actually the same as the old model, 600 mile first service then every 6,000 miles thereafter"

The camhead is 600, then the first 6000 miles, but after that it's every 12000 miles for the valve adjustment checks... Will the wethead follow the same interval as the camhead for valve checks?
Every 12k for valves, but still recommended to be serviced every 6 for fluids and a check.

So I'm not sure what mistake you're referring to...

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #4554
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Are you serious??

A man died and you're worried your new bike... If you're worried about your money, cancel your order and wait for the thorough investigation. I can assure you there will be plenty of new GSs.
I'm not worried about my new bike Mav. Yes, a man has died which is tragic, my point is that BMW need to get on with issuing a formal statement so that people on forums can stop guessing what happened.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #4555
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
You two are just speculating. The report hasn't even been released yet, and you're jumping to your own conclusions. From what has been reported to the media so far, a rider had an accident (which we have NO details about), and another rider hit him when he was on the floor, killing him instantly. Until we know the cause of the original accident, what's the point in trying to second guess that the bike was at fault? A lot of the press on the launch of the new bike in South Africa had little or no offroad experience. What does that tell you?

I'm not saying that the Kevin Ash incident had anything to do with a bike problem. We simply don't know. I am saying more than one journalist reported unstable behavior while standing up and hitting washboard surfaces. As a probable Wethead owner, this concerns me. I've got 115,000 miles on my 2007 12GS. It's done thousands of miles of dirt, and it certainly never exhibited this behavior.

We obviously need more input from more ride tests, both on and off road. I'm sure the bike magazines are probably in testing right now for upcoming publications. The new dynamic suspension also concerns me. It sounds awesome, but I still have a few questions on long term use. What happens on a failure, such as a cut wire to the shock. Does it resort to a baseline setting for safety or what. I'm sure it won't resort to no damping, but I just don't know. Like I said, I'll wait and see how things go.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #4556
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
The new dynamic suspension also concerns me.
There's an easy solution to that: buy one with standard suspension.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #4557
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
There's an easy solution to that: buy one with standard suspension.

That's not the solution. Like I said, it sounds great. A new technology that can make suspension better than ever. I has immense possibilities for the future. I would just like to know what I'm getting into. Nothing wrong with a little knowledge. Once I know the facts, then I can make my own decision for what will work best over the long term for me.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #4558
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
That's not the solution.
Actually it is. You'll never know "the facts" until the bike is on the market for a few years and people have actually ridden the bike all over the place and we have longterm numbers on reliability and maintenance for these components.

If you're concerned about complexity, buy a KLR and leave the GS to people that aren't concerned about complexity and don't care all too much what they're getting into or trust BMW/Sachs to build a system that works.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #4559
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
A single rider out of dozens of unknown offroad skill, or even BMW MC experience, reports a minor perceived issue, and another who crashes under completely unknown circumstances, and some of you are acting like the bike has a fatal flaw and are yelling recall already?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #4560
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A single rider out of dozens of unknown offroad skill, or even BMW MC experience, reports a minor perceived issue, and another who crashes under completely unknown circumstances, and some of you are acting like the bike has a fatal flaw and are yelling recall already?

Jim
Agree, this is completely insane, the Interweb going crazy!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote