Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #4606
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,819
1) I think we shouldn't overreact but we should definitely take note. I think that a few of the "reviews" are actually recycled and in reality it sums to 2-3 independent reports about the vibration-up-to-slapping issue off-road. This is still a lot though. I REALLY hope they find what it is and explain (AND RESOLVE). This bike doesn't more bad publicity. I mean for the 6 years that I own the big GS, half people tell me how great bike this is, few argue about it being air cooled (which was never a real problem) and MANY are concerned about build issues (I had none actually, except the front suspension loosing oil in an off-road session, where I managed to live with it for a week - bless telelever - with "normal" riding until the replacement came - under warranty of course). I definitely will postpone a purchase (not that I COULD make an early one anyway), until this thing clears a bit.
I am afraid the thinner forks DO have much to do with the issue. Something VERY DIFFICULT to change right now!
Quote me, I believe GS will return to previous fork diameter by the time they release the Adventure version.

2) I remember now why I was not active in the forum for years. I cannot... not notice how some very old "untouchable" members acted in relation to Kevin's death and how it relates to the bike's "fault". If this is a subject to make jokes, I don't get it. Anyway, I should have ignored this I guess like everybody else.

3) Has anybody got MCN's mag review?
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #4607
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Some indirect news. Here is the tire that most 2013 GS will have installed from the factory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPU7VL55oSE

It is very on-road biased (like 90/10), but it might be of interest to some (like to me ) that within the year they will also make a new version called "Anakee Wild", already homologated for GS, that will be more off-road biased than Anakee III. Let see where this is positioned in the range, because for big GS we have many 90/10, 85/15 and 20/80 tires, but nothing closer to 60/40 (like maybe Metzeler Enduro 3) that some of us may need and is available for the dimensions of smaller GSes.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #4608
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Surprised that the service intervals are still the same.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #4609
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I'm not. I suspect it has more to do with oil changes than anything else.
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #4610
NLS
My bike needs washing...

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/2...h-bmw-r1200gs/

Check the comments. As Costas was one of the people that noticed the front fork "issue", I asked for details and he answered. Might be useful to this new (unwelcome) puzzle.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #4611
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I'm not. I suspect it has more to do with oil changes than anything else.
I also suspect it has something to do with the dealers (it does make the dealers more money to see you sooner).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #4612
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Some indirect news. Here is the tire that most 2013 GS will have installed from the factory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPU7VL55oSE

It is very on-road biased (like 90/10), but it might be of interest to some (like to me ) that within the year they will also make a new version called "Anakee Wild", already homologated for GS, that will be more off-road biased than Anakee III. Let see where this is positioned in the range, because for big GS we have many 90/10, 85/15 and 20/80 tires, but nothing closer to 60/40 (like maybe Metzeler Enduro 3) that some of us may need and is available for the dimensions of smaller GSes.
I'm hoping these are the tyres that mine will come with

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I also suspect it has something to do with the dealers (it does make the dealers more money to see you sooner).
Got it in one
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #4613
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
The way I see it is that where there's a smoke there's a fire. This minor fork issue is definetely an issue since the bike is marketed as an offroad worthy one. And I am no longer convinced that Kevin Ash just went down and got killed. Maybe he was pushing the bike too much, to an extent that most of your average rider wouldn't come close. But reading the comment from Bike mag journo which was posted here I am really looking forward for an oficial explanation from BMW. I am not planning to buy a GS simply because I can't afford it. It looks like an awesome bike but all the hype that's already surrounding it means for me that something's wrong here. And don't forget that we live in a world that huge companies rule, and they rule sometimes ruthlessely. Yeah, many of you might think that who's this guy making such a fuss out of it. Well, I am a rider and not a product and I live in a world where profit and corporate viability is King.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #4614
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
So has nobody EVER had a tankslapper whilst riding the current 12GS off road? I seem to remember a post only last week of a guy riding across the desert on a GSA and wrecking the bike.

Does anyone care to reply to my comment here
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #4615
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Hmm... No...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #4616
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I am too.

the water cooling make the Head(valve adjustments) much more temperature stable. the water cooling also takes some of the cooling load off the oil.

I think the shorter intervals is more about keeping the dealer service $$$ coming in...vs real engineering needs of the bike's mechanicals. when is the last time you had your valves adjusted in you bmw car...or any car for that matter.

to days oils...evan the dino are much more temperature and break down tolerant. the synthetics last evan longer.

Most other MC manufacturers seem to be lengthening the intervals....competitive pressure will make BMW do the same too.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #4617
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
This kind of stuff just strengthens my everlasting thoughts that the Telelever is a bad idea in a bike like the GS.
I've tried some GSs over the years, and the fork is one of the reasons why I feel my S10 better offroad.

Unfortunatelly I belive the Telelever is one of those german things made to make the GS "different", AKA design arrogance
And for me the Telelever is the number two reason why I always prefer the BMW as a road bike. Go figure!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #4618
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
If you see some of the threads here, it has been reported that a fork brace on the regular GS aids the handling enormously! And thats with those thick stanchion tubes. And now BMW has gone ahead and made them thinner. Why do they have to resort to this kind of cost cutting? No doubt it will now need a fork brace even more. The telelever is actually a nice thing. Not about arrogance but I love the fact that I have full suspension travel even under braking under emergency situations.
Fork brace on a telelever?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #4619
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
This is the previous gen GS. So, if this a problem that has been reported repeatedly about the previous 1200gs it would have been reported here. In any case, we are talking about the new one, so what´s the point? It´s a totally different bike. Different motor, chassis, weight distribution, suspension, electronics ...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #4620
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 554
6 years in development and 1 million KM (or miles?) tested for the new GS.
There's an old saying in tech support, it's called PEBKAC "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair." I'm not ruling out machine error, cause it does happen, but in my experience, inexperienced riding usually causes the error.
If this was a big enough problem in previous versions of the GS, there would be a mega class action and we wouldn't have a GS anymore.
Maybe I'm just being completely ignorant to the situation, but I just don't buy into all the hokus pokus surrounding the new GS. Just my 2 cents.