Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #4651
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
You don't. You put it on the two stanchion tubes coming down from the handlebar Triple T.

Think those are called "the forks"

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #4652
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
You don't. You put it on the two stanchion tubes coming down from the handlebar Triple T.
You mentioned earlier that they have been installed on a current R1200GS. Can you maybe show me a picture. I'm slow, so I need photos I guess.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #4653
antwerp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Where did you hear that most GS' will get this tire? All the demo bikes at the rollout seemed to have Metzelers? I recall that BMW worked with four tire manufacturers on the new tire size/design...so my guess is they committed to buy from all four, but don't really know.
I just returned home from a guided tour at the bmw factory in Spandau Berlin, and all of the new GS's that were made this week were put together with the metzeler tires on them.
We saw a large number of continental tires as well. I asked one employee if they alreadyut on the michelins, but he just smiled and answered with a friendly 'no comment'

Next 2 weeks they'll be making a lot of GS's for the French market they told us.
antwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #4654
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I believe that we're all asking or wondering the same thing, but who's to say that BMW is right? After all, aren't these the same people who designed the final drive (amongst other parts that have experienced failure) on the last few series of GS bikes?
They have to get it right this time. There's far more at stake Time will tell
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #4655
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Now, you've just offended the majority big bike members here who ride the behemoths offroad to compensate :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
LOL I hadn't thought of it like that.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #4656
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
My point is that everyone is jumping on the fact that 2 journo's had a tankslapper on the new model, when people have had tankslappers on the old one. This is nothing new, and certainly isn't a manufacturing error. If you ride too fast off road, and hit a dip, or large stone at speed, you're going to have a problem. Regardless of the bike.
Couldn't have said it better. This wouldn't change my opinion to purchase the bike if I was planning to do so.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #4657
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Very good discussion. We are all guessing though.

I choose to believe that the ratio 2 to 20 (or 3 to 20) is not normal among experienced moto mag testers.

I WANT to believe that either nothing is wrong after all, or that it is a software thing.

I DEFINITELY want to believe that people from BMW have reached this thread somehow :) and/or have actually followed up with the jurnos that had the thing happen to figure what is wrong.

We'll see I guess. Actually I am a bit happy with not having the money to order first bunch.
I cannot stand a huge number of recalls. I had a fair share of recalls for a 2007 model (bought new) of a bike already 3 years in the market.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #4658
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
This kind of stuff just strengthens my everlasting thoughts that the Telelever is a bad idea in a bike like the GS.
I've tried some GSs over the years, and the fork is one of the reasons why I feel my S10 better offroad.

Unfortunatelly I belive the Telelever is one of those german things made to make the GS "different", AKA design arrogance
The saying "each to their own" sure rings true. Telelever is one of the things I love the most about my GS. Maybe I notice the difference it makes much more is because the other bike I ride a lot is my R90S. It's a bike I have loved for the past 38years but it could sure do with Telelever.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4659
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Gee, I guess I'm missing something. All I get from the reviews is the new GS is going to be a great road/touring bike (which is what I want) and that I'll have to restrain myself from riding standing up doing 45mph+ over washboard terrain. What's the problem? :

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #4660
velimlje
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jltrd View Post
Gee, I guess I'm missing something. All I get from the reviews is the new GS is going to be a great road/touring bike (which is what I want) and that I'll have to restrain myself from riding standing up doing 45mph+ over washboard terrain. What's the problem? :

You told them !!! Could not agree more ....
velimlje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #4661
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,123
The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!"
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #4662
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
The saying "each to their own" sure rings true. Telelever is one of the things I love the most about my GS. Maybe I notice the difference it makes much more is because the other bike I ride a lot is my R90S. It's a bike I have loved for the past 38years but it could sure do with Telelever.
Can't argue about that. I'm not saying that there are no good things about the Tele. It's sure makes the long travel front end behave a lot more like a short sportive fork on twisty roads, and that sure feels fun and sure footed.
I just find it inadequate for this kind of bike, both theoretically (I'm a mechanical engineer, I tend to over-analyse stuff) and when riding a GS with it (bad roads/offroad)
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #4663
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jltrd View Post

Exactly
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #4664
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
Can't argue about that. I'm not saying that there are no good things about the Tele. It's sure makes the long travel front end behave a lot more like a short sportive fork on twisty roads, and that sure feels fun and sure footed.
I just find it inadequate for this kind of bike, both theoretically (I'm a mechanical engineer, I tend to over-analyse stuff) and when riding a GS with it (bad roads/offroad)
I find that all interesting. I may be the exception here but with my 2010 I've never ever felt anything weird about the Telelever. Maybe once while accelerating like crazy the front wheel left the road and that was supposed to happen I guess. You guys here all seem to be road racers + serious off-road riders. Heck, I need to learn how to ride my GS properly!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #4665
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I find that all interesting. I may be the exception here but with my 2010 I've never ever felt anything weird about the Telelever. Maybe once while accelerating like crazy the front wheel left the road and that was supposed to happen I guess. You guys here all seem to be road racers + serious off-road riders. Heck, I need to learn how to ride my GS properly!
I agree and add that a serious racer or serious off road rider would probably be happier with something other than the R1200GS. I had an 06 GS for seven years and it was the best all around motorcycle I've had (6). But I don't race and I don't do serious off road. If I did I would have bought an appropriate bike for those activities.

Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote