ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #4936
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Great decision. I strongly advise you to stay off anything with a headset and two wheels then
I do love this thread, so many funny and intelligent people, I mean it. You wouldn't see that type of humour
on a German GS forum
Let's just buy that machine, when will they be in stock at Amazon? Aren't they returnable without any questions asked?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #4937
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I do love this thread, so many funny and intelligent people, I mean it. You wouldn't see that type of humour
on a German GS forum
Let's just buy that machine, when will they be in stock at Amazon? Aren't they returnable without any questions asked?
They do, but if you return it the only replacement you qualify for is a Segway PT
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #4938
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,565
Details from the MCN report

Those seeking details of the launch report from Motor Cycle News UK can find them here, in translation at the website of Italian magazine moto.it.

I don't have the print edition of MCN available but I'll hazard a guess the report above is a straight translation of Adam Child's piece for it. Child and MCN are credited.

Using Google to re-translate back into English does not restore the original, but the sense of it comes through pretty strongly.

FWIW, Child acknowledges that two colleagues had stability concerns but says he had not the slightest inkling of anything untoward on the handling side.

In just about every respect he sounds very impressed, complimenting in particular the new engine (now just about up with rivals such as the Triumph Explorer), the on-tarmac handling (feels like it has 17-inch wheels and you could enjoy it on a road-race circuit) and the airstream management (he could ride comfortably at up to 120kmh with helmet visor raised).
__________________
Sorting out the S4Rs Ohlins shock: click here.
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #4939
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
That's what happens when BMW is foolish and allows themselves to be lured into competing with bikes ,like the Multistrada, that never were competitors in the first place. Wide rims and horsepower at the expense of low end torque, all for the idiots who have no idea what a GS is really about. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be great if the Adventure model lives up to it's name and comes with the same rim widths it's predecessors used.
While you have a point, for BMW to actually "look around" is not bad.
Indeed most people use GS for the Strasse part, the magic is to keep the Gelande part alive - and I think they do.

Wider rims are better compromise to get some better road handling than changing the diameter (and loosing off road abilities further).

As for the torque what are you talking about?
The torque is higher in all rev range.
Someone even complained about a dip mid-range, possibly forgetting that ALL 12GS have it (and there is a reason of course).
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #4940
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Someone even complained about a dip mid-range, possibly forgetting that ALL 12GS have it (and there is a reason of course).
Got a few questions about that one.

What is the reason?

If you don't like a "dip in the mid range" does it matter whether all GS's have it?

Is everyone supposed to like the fact that it had it because it's a GS?

Should Triumph now go and engineer a dip in the mid range to compete?

Are there good dips and bad dips?

Is there a correct place to have a dip?
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #4941
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Got a few questions about that one.

What is the reason?

If you don't like a "dip in the mid range" does it matter whether all GS's have it?

Is everyone supposed to like the fact that it had it because it's a GS?

Should Triumph now go and engineer a dip in the mid range to compete?

Are there good dips and bad dips?

Is there a correct place to have a dip?
The reason AFAIK is this is where they measure exchaust fumes (at least in Germany, almost surely also rest of Europe).
BTW that dip is not very hard to fight.
How Triumph handles this? (since you mentioned it) I don't know, didn't pay attention, maybe they still have a dip, maybe less pronounced. I don't really care.

Not getting your "good and bad dips" thing. It's probably irony. Way to go man.
Since you say it though, all dips are bad if you ask me. That said, I don't even think of the one that my 2007 makes. My right hand has learned to adjust to it anyway (and the controller I have installed).

And I am sure you know: You don't HAVE to like GS and you don't HAVE to buy one. Ah! And they don't make the GS specially for YOUR liking (or mine for that matter).
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #4942
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
And I am sure you know: You don't HAVE to like GS and you don't HAVE to buy one. Ah! And they don't make the GS specially for YOUR liking (or mine for that matter).
Well, I don't really like the looks of it, but I still bought one. (I just compare it with an SUV) There are more beautifull bikes, there are sportier bikes, there are better bikes offroad... But as an all-rounder there are few to beat it. And I spend enough time on it to appreciate those things.

And for the dip in power? I don't really care. Still enough power. I want an engine with lots of reserves and can go a long way.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #4943
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:

The reason AFAIK is this is where they measure exchaust fumes........
Thanks for the response. Yeah that...

Some of it was a bit Tongue in cheek, I don't spend all my life in GS forums and I thought "the dip" may be a "tradition" in some respects or something , like the HD "potato" sound.
Sort of a signature dip honed to perfection through the ages and protected by feral Germanic monks...

There I go again....
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #4944
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
No it is just because the Germans don't know how to satisfy TUV better.
As you said, probably Triumph does know.

Good for them.
I am sure it reflects on sales.
(and for Yamaha's representative on the category - don't know where you are, but here they had to drop a couple of thousand euros to get them make a few sales - stupid consumers that know nothing...)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #4945
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Thanks for the response. Yeah that...

Some of it was a bit Tongue in cheek, I don't spend all my life in GS forums and I thought "the dip" may be a "tradition" in some respects or something , like the HD "potato" sound.
Sort of a signature dip honed to perfection through the ages and protected by feral Germanic monks...

There I go again....
you being a little disengenious.The S10 thread prolly discusses the gs almost as much as the s10
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #4946
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
you being a little disengenious
It's like I am sure that in the Metric cruisers forums they often don't get the HD forums "passion" or the why and etc.

I don't get both of them.

Often you just get the occasional fly by that sprouts things like "lack of character" etc etc.

So I was wondering whether "the dip" was just one of those things..Whether too much dip was bad but just enough dip was "character".

No I don't work for the competition. It's not really that important.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #4947
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
It's like I am sure that in the Metric cruisers forums they often don't get the HD forums "passion" or the why and etc.

I don't get both of them.

Often you just get the occasional fly by that sprouts things like "lack of character" etc etc.

So I was wondering whether "the dip" was just one of those things..Whether too much dip was bad but just enough dip was "character".

No I don't work for the competition. It's not really that important.
Well I don't think we can compare people that love cruisers and/or HD (i.e. bikes with "heritage" and a single purpose, to shine bright when they pass before chicks), with people that support the benchmark of "do it all" motorcycles.

No the dip is not "character" and yes I wish they could do it better (in fact I wish for other things that they should do better BEFORE fixing the dip - there I said it). It's not anything worth mentioning though, after some use of the bike only the dyno graphs are there to remind it. My Alfa Romeo also has this when the extra valves open, ah and way stronger with 99% of turbo charged cars. Also Ducati has something different (esp. noticed in previous MS)... Engine is dead until you are near the red line. We don't have a dip, we have a huge step. They still like it. No I don't think it is character. Character is that it sounds like broken (read: desmo).
Nice to have a choice eh?

That said, I NEVER visited another model's forum to say about the GS OR that other model (as being worse than the GS or whatever). Having visited many fora though and this seems to be almost unique to GS. That tells me something (actually it says many things).

All these said, we are still supposedly on the thread that discusses the new 12GS.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #4948
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
Is it too much to ask to read about the bike and not about opinions of the bike?
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #4949
velimlje
Adventurer
 
velimlje's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Serbia -Montenegro
Oddometer: 14
Head shake , now dip ...

You guys are not serious ...

Here is my older post , just to clarify diping feature from german teutonic monks

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimlje View Post
Now again , if you combine this chart that showed up in BMW literature



and then use same chart for older model from Web bike world



and then

first correct mistakes that they did by swithing labels on axis ( thanks EJ 92606 .. )

then

adjust for diferent spans of rpm , adjust the scale and do it just a bit more precisely than I tried before

it looks something like this




Me like it !!!
velimlje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #4950
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,839
Whatever. I'm gettn a RAGING fuckn horn.......
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014