Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #4981
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
EJ, was that you parked at Chick Filet at Jamboree and Bryen 20G21.. Lic plate. Skipped last digits intentionally.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #4982
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
EJ, was that you parked at Chick Filet at Jamboree and Bryen 20G21.. Lic plate. Skipped last digits intentionally.
Nope not me. Wish I was riding or eating Chick Filet right now
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #4983
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,643
Does anybody have GSpot links to the 1150GS Debut Threadfest or the original 1200GS Debut Threadfest? I'd like to read through them and see if the commentary surrounding those debuts was as asinine as some of the action here is.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #4984
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Must be true! Yamaha, and all other brands, especially Japanese brands, never break of have production issues! There is no need to complain about them as they are perfect out of the box, require zero maintenance, and have no odd quirks. Further, the aftermarket for them is flush with inexpensive accessories!

See this: BMW Sucks

BMW People are just rich fools!

Jim
You forgot Triumph..
But what can i say. This is true

But really, now BMW has blessed the R motor with some eighties engine technology it is looking better than before. Wonder why that suddenly happened?

as Sock says...
Quote:
The GS looks to be awesome, again, which just makes everyone else have to try harder to also be awesome. We all win.
And that is the point. Hopefully they don't move too far away from the original GS's mission. I personally don't need a jacked up RRRace bike but if everyone else does then I suppose that is the way it goes. My loss. I'll be interested in how they position the GSA.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 01:45 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #4985
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmofan View Post
Dude, you're going to get bundled
Man, I hate when that happens. I bet KTM won't "bundle" me.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #4986
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
And that is the point. Hopefully they don't move too far away from the original GS's mission. I personally don't need a jacked up RRRace bike but if everyone else does then I suppose that is the way it goes. My loss. I'll be interested in how they position the GSA.
Yep, the S1000XR should tick that box for the speed demons They'll have to wait another year though
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #4987
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Yep, the S1000XR should tick that box for the speed demons They'll have to wait another year though
I thought you were joking!! Then I found rumours. Should throw some good roost

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #4988
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I hear ya there. I've been in the same boat, going through bike after bike trying to find "the one" that ticks all the boxes for me. Thought it was the Duc, but I kept riding it like a testosterone poisoned delinquent and figured I better sell it before something "bad" happened.
When the Multi came out in 2010 I rode one and had quite a few complaints, but the biggest one was the, compared to bikes I was used to, really nasty slow speed behavior of the engine.

This was before any fuel map updates came out and at a dealer where I have serious doubts that they ever set up the bike properly. I know that Ducati addressed every single one of my other concerns and it also seems that the 2013 model has better low rev behavior.

But, and that's my biggest problem, I have no way of riding a Multi long enough to figure out whether it'll really work for me. With my BMW shop I have a good relationship and they give me a bike for a weekend if I'm uncertain.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #4989
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Recall on new GS

http://motorcycle.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using middle finger[
2001 Porsche 911 (Speed Yellow)
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #4990
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
Recall on new GS

Oh great. That's just what we needed to spoil the party
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4991
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
I will help:

According to Transport Canada, transmission oil pressure on certain BMW R1200GS units may get too high, resulting in a leak in the output shaft sealing ring. An oil leak directly in front of the rear tire could result in a loss of traction and stability, potentially leading to a crash.
The 2013 BMW R1200GS is almost entirely new, including the transmission which is fully integrated into the engine casing, so there’s no worry about this issue affecting previous model years.
BMW dealers will install an oil restrictor to reduce the oil pressure at the transmission output. The Transport Canada recall affects 31 units of the 2013 BMW R1200GS.
We will have more information if and when NHTSA posts a similar recall for the U.S.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #4992
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
Recall on new GS

Confused! Is this the US 2013 ie made in 2012 or the conventional 2013 as in the wc? This article defiantly seems to think it is the new bike but how can you recall something that hasn't been sold yet. Probably hasn't even landed on the shores. Surely it would get done on the PDI. Course it could be the demo bikes that we know are around. I can't think of an oil pump in the old gearbox either so I am leaning towards it actually being the new bike.

5 years of testing huh!
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #4993
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Did you guys check Shawn's thread about his own review from South Africa? VERY VERY detailed. Better than anything I've read and keeps out of his post all the journalist cr*p.

Here is the link if you missed it:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854607
Check pages 11 and 12 if you are in a hurry.

BTW the recall seems to be for the first one and possibly 31 bikes (!), possibly the first delivered on the planet. :)
I don't understand why people hate recalls. I like recalls, it means the company cares and fixes.

One of my 2007 recalls (as some of you might... erm... recall ) was just to add a sticker on the inside of the handle protectors. Not sure if any other manufacturer would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So that brings up a question....is the new GS going to be a 2014 model?
This happens only in the US of A. I wonder why you guys cannot use the date properly (you even write the month BEFORE the date, go figure)...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #4994
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
This happens only in the US of A. I wonder why you guys cannot use the date properly (you even write the month BEFORE the date, go figure)...
The model year classification system in the US is stupid, same with writing the month before the day .
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #4995
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
While you have a point, for BMW to actually "look around" is not bad.
Indeed most people use GS for the Strasse part, the magic is to keep the Gelande part alive - and I think they do.

Wider rims are better compromise to get some better road handling than changing the diameter (and loosing off road abilities further).

As for the torque what are you talking about?
The torque is higher in all rev range.
Someone even complained about a dip mid-range, possibly forgetting that ALL 12GS have it (and there is a reason of course).
NLS About the Torque; From the Motorcyclist review-
Quote:
The engine is a little less tractor-like in slow, off-road situations, and where the quick-revving new engine benefits with increased midrange or high rpm power, it is a little bit less friendly when lugging through a tricky section of dirt.
I hope to be proved wrong, really. But lower profile tires and and less lugging ability tell me I may have been correct in adding a fresh camhead to the garage while they are still available.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote