Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #5206
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Clearly some live in a "Glass half Empty" world rather than a "Glass half Full" world.

At least in my humble opinion, a sad way to live.
Well it doesn't mean he is like that in his life. :)
Maybe he just tries to find excuses to not make such a big/expensive purchase.
To find a way to like more what he already has.
It's pretty common I would say.

I prefer realism. New GS is most probably quite better than previous GS. It's too big a bet for BMW to loose. My 2007 probably lost a huge chunk of resale value the day it was announced (except maybe some that want to stick to air-oil, which again will probably prefer a 2012 GS than my 100HP own). Well, fact of life. I'll survive this. :) If I can I'll buy it some day, if not, well tough luck, maybe I'll get the next (or LC FL...).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #5207
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Clearly some live in a "Glass half Empty" world rather than a "Glass half Full" world.

I am quite sure we'll enjoy ours as soon as we get our hands on them.
GS meet, weekend touring in germany and a week in Austrian Alps allready planned.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #5208
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
To find a way to like more what he already has.
It's pretty common I would say.

I prefer realism. New GS is most probably quite better than previous GS. It's too big a bet for BMW to loose. My 2007 probably lost a huge chunk of resale value the day it was announced (except maybe some that want to stick to air-oil, which again will probably prefer a 2012 GS than my 100HP own). Well, fact of life. I'll survive this. :) If I can I'll buy it some day, if not, well tough luck, maybe I'll get the next (or LC FL...).
Ahh, realism, the good old 'The glass is twice as big as it should be' approach :P

I agree with You. I think they improved whatever they could, and reviews seem to confirm it. I bet there will be some problems, as there always are with new projects / big modifications. Murphys law, if something can go wrong it surely will. We can just hope that BMW engineers did a good job and those will be just minor bugs that can be easily fixed.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #5209
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Ditto.

They do have to clear out the alleged head-shake issue and Kevin disaster shadows eventually though.
You cannot call this bike's launch impeccable (as they would like it to be).
Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #5210
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
igs.
WTF is that supposed to mean? Some kind of acknowldgement that you are wrong?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #5211
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

Dean, maybe you can help. It was my understanding that a recall notice is not necessary if the bikes never made it into customer hands in the US. Is this correct?

I say this because Canadian rules might be different in that all changes that a manufacturer might require after the bike leaves the factory would have to be announced?

Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #5212
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
WTF is that supposed to mean? Some kind of acknowldgement that you are wrong?

Jim
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IGS

Wonder about that too. :)
There are a few interesting interpretations, but none feels to fit 100%.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #5213
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,143
Depends upon the definition of "Recall". In this case, no doubt, there has been some indications of oil wepage/leakage/seepage or ??? and upon research the tranny oil pressures were near or above the design pressure ranges of the subject seals on some bikes. From my engineering background in the aircraft industry.....a long time ago......, on how thing like this come about.

It could be from a lots of things, the simplest and most common fix in this case is to simply to introduce a flow restriction that will in turn reduce the downstream oil pressures. An infield fix is a very common practice before the customer ever sees the item.

I would think that some would call this a "Recall" or a "Fix before selling/delivering". From what I can tell, this is instigated by BMW on a known range of VIN's.

I personally don't see this as an issue. One of the clues is that none of the Jurno's have commented on this that I have so far read.

There is in fact and especially in this INTERNET age where the slightest hint of an issue gets blown way out of perportion a very strong and sincere interest in this new bike being as good as possible.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #5214
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I know that they're meant to be shipped upright, but if the crates were accidentally shipped on their side, or on one end, would that cause the oil pressure issue? Obviously the bikes are so well packaged and wrapped, there would be no cosmetic damage once out of the crate.
No, like I said unless they were running. As soon as the bike was put the right way up all the fluids would return to where they should be. Even if they didn't it wouldn't cause a high pressure in the gearbox. They got it wrong pure and simple. Not saying it's good bad or indifferent, it's just what it is.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #5215
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IGS

Wonder about that too. :)
There are a few interesting interpretations, but none feels to fit 100%.
Try it here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=igs

Maybe that comes closer ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #5216
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
I would think that some would call this a "Recall" or a "Fix before selling/delivering". From what I can tell, this is instigated by BMW on a known range of VIN's.
Dean, my take is that I hope what ever the fix is, it gets applied to "all" bikes and not just 13 bikes. From this buying in Canada, I would feel comfortable; however, in USA how would I know that they fixed it for us?

It's not about viewing things with a glass half full of my favorite juice, rather more so of assurance. I hope you are right and USA bound bikes have a fix as well hopefully not like a cancerous lump pressure resistor to which one might say ... Beautiful looking bike, awesome ... but wait, what is this sticking out on the side.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #5217
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Dean, my take is that I hope what ever the fix is, it gets applied to "all" bikes and not just 13 bikes. From this buying in Canada, I would feel comfortable; however, in USA how would I know that they fixed it for us?

It's not about viewing things with a glass half full of my favorite juice, rather more so of assurance. I hope you are right and USA bound bikes have a fix as well hopefully not like a cancerous lump pressure resistor to which one might say ... Beautiful looking bike, awesome ... but wait, what is this sticking out on the side.
Since they haven't shipped to the US yet, I would guess they would be fixed before we ever got them, before they left the factory.

Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #5218
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Since they haven't shipped to the US yet, I would guess they would be fixed before we ever got them, before they left the factory.

Jim
Americans are good at class action lawsuits and sueing, unfortunately. It'll get fixed. Everyone stop getting your panties in a wad. No bike is perfect.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #5219
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:

New GS is most probably quite better than previous GS. It's too big a bet for BMW to loose.
Yes, BMW has high stakes on their top selling money making baby, and my consolation is that they would make attempts to address if and any issues that floats up.

I have a cruiser to which I found BMW has some blunders to which they never addressed, ultimately they dumped further production. As an engineer, their will be situations that you don't notice issues until it is put into production. If some thing crops up, be ready to do a fix. In this case if 13 bikes they have a fix. Good. Since the design is same for all bikes, I want a fix as well and not unless I see and prove to dealer of a defect to have it fixed. I can only hope that they do not inconvenient their customers.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #5220
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:

Jim
Jim, They have shipped and bikes are at the warehouse in NJ and possibly some already in transit to dealers.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote