Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #5221
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Jim, They have shipped and bikes are at the warehouse in NJ and possibly some already in transit to dealers.
OK, I didn't think that had happened. In that case the NJ point is where they will get fixed, if necessary. They won't get to the dealer unfixed if it was caught before they leave NJ, and in that case, no need for a recall.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #5222
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Jim, They have shipped and bikes are at the warehouse in NJ and possibly some already in transit to dealers.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #5223
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Dean, my take is that I hope what ever the fix is, it gets applied to "all" bikes and not just 13 bikes. From this buying in Canada, I would feel comfortable; however, in USA how would I know that they fixed it for us?

It's not about viewing things with a glass half full of my favorite juice, rather more so of assurance. I hope you are right and USA bound bikes have a fix as well hopefully not like a cancerous lump pressure resistor to which one might say ... Beautiful looking bike, awesome ... but wait, what is this sticking out on the side.
I am 100% sure that if there is a recall issued and gets published in (let say) Canada, it will also be issued TO ALL affected vehicles worldwide. I haven't the slightest doubt about that, I cannot say it more clear.

So it either involves just those 31 (because of a bad production week, or a faulty spare lot), or they got it fixed on all the others without needing to issue a recall.

To debate if a recall is a good or a bad thing (for me is fantastic - esp. when my bike was once recalled to put some stickers in the hand protectors!) is one thing, to doubt that a recall is issued to ALL VINs worldwide where it should, is another. Again I have zero doubts the recall went (or will go) EVERYWHERE IT SHOULD.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #5224
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
This conversation fascinates me. I seem to recall a while back in this thread the discussion turning to "would you or wouldn't you buy a first-year bike". Some felt very confident that BMW would produce a fantastic bike right out of the gate with no issues, and others felt that buying a first-year bike is too risky and would rather wait a year or two for BMW to sort out the issues. There appears to be a third group, of sorts, that needs to be the first on the block with the new bike and expects the bike to be perfect, and can't handle the idea that BMW may have to sort through a few growing pains in the release of the new bike. This just seems like a completely unrealistic expectation. If you're so risk-averse that the idea of BMW discovering and fixing a few issues before the bike is even in your hands is that off-putting to you, then a first-year bike may not be for you. I don't mean this as an insult to anyone - I put myself squarely in that camp. I bought a '12 GSA and am loving it. I'm sure I'll upgrade to the new boxer at some point, but I'm self-aware enough to know that these issues would bug me.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #5225
Alpha Wolfman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Problem? I don't see no stinking problem!

I don’t think I have ever heard of a motorcycle that didn’t need some “sorting” by those who care about those things. Some choose to live with issues, some have to “fix” them. Some issues are bigger than others and have to be addressed. It affects all brands and almost every model (I know your bike is perfect and I am wrong). Sometimes the issues are addressed by the factory. If you want the bike buy it, if you don’t want it don’t buy it. Whichever model or brand you pick there will most likely be something. In my world it is part of the fun, sorting out the issues. I have only had a single motorcycle (and I have owned many) I couldn’t “fix” and had to dump: a 1996 KTM 360 which was un-fixable, and I dumped it because I couldn’t live with the overheating on single track trails which fogged my goggles. Turns out it had too much bottom end compression which was caused by using the same cases for the 250, 300 and 360, but the 360 was the only one with a larger crank, but I had fun researching and troubleshooting the issue. The next year KTM dropped the 360 came out with a 380 using dedicated cases… Now I know about bottom end compression on a two stroke! Anyway I decided to buy my first GS about October of last year, so I sold my HP2, and during my research on the GS/GSA I decided to wait for the new model GS. Timing is everything, I am number 3 at San Jose BMW.
Alpha Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #5226
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Since they haven't shipped to the US yet, I would guess they would be fixed before we ever got them, before they left the factory.

Jim
When the camhead RT was released in 2010, BMW issued a recall on several bikes that were in transit to canadian dealers in regards to a clutch related issue which was installed incorrectly at the factory.. Dealers had to perform the fix before the bikes could be sold..

For the 31 GS's coming to Canada, it's the same deal.. dealers will perform the fix before they are sold. Everything that's done at the factory is tracked to the bike's serial number, so they know exactly which bikes are affected.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #5227
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
If you have a new one on order, I wouldn't sweat it too much about the recall. It could be something so minor it shouldn't even be mentioned but needs attention or I guess it could be major and the bottom end could be destroyed if used.... Either way you are only paying $20K for it so big whoop.......

In all seriousness, I am sure it will be handled and you do have a 2 year warranty, just make sure to pile on the miles early to make sure she is run in good before the warranty expires. I love it when guys sell bikes 3 years later with 6000 miles on them. Damn thing isn't even broken in yet, scary thing is that buying it used with ultra low miles, you still might encounter an issue so its a 50/50 proposition. Low mileage bike= good or maybe not so good......

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #5228
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When the camhead RT was released in 2010, BMW issued a recall on several bikes that were in transit to canadian dealers in regards to a clutch related issue which was installed incorrectly at the factory.. Dealers had to perform the fix before the bikes could be sold..

For the 31 GS's coming to Canada, it's the same deal.. dealers will perform the fix before they are sold. Everything that's done at the factory is tracked to the bike's serial number, so they know exactly which bikes are affected.
Does Canada have the equivelent of the NJ facility, or do bikes ship difectly from the factory to the dealers there?

Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #5229
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
If you have a new one on order, I wouldn't sweat it too much about the recall. It could be something so minor it shouldn't even be mentioned but needs attention or I guess it could be major and the bottom end could be destroyed if used.... Either way you are only paying $20K for it so big whoop.......

In all seriousness, I am sure it will be handled and you do have a 2 year warranty, just make sure to pile on the miles early to make sure she is run in good before the warranty expires. I love it when guys sell bikes 3 years later with 6000 miles on them. Damn thing isn't even broken in yet, scary thing is that buying it used with ultra low miles, you still might encounter an issue so its a 50/50 proposition. Low mileage bike= good or maybe not so good......
In the US the warranty has been 3 years on BMW bikes traditionally.

Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #5230
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
If you're so risk-averse that the idea of BMW discovering and fixing a few issues before the bike is even in your hands is that off-putting to you, then a first-year bike may not be for you.
Understatement of the year.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #5231
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:

Just how can BMW isolate that high pressure gearbox issue to 31 built? They've noticed this during end of line testing and decided to let the dealers perform the corrective action?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #5232
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Does Canada have the equivelent of the NJ facility, or do bikes ship difectly from the factory to the dealers there?

Jim
All bikes coming to Canada arrive at the port in Halifax, Nova Scotia, then on a train to the warehouse in Concord, Ontario (just north of Toronto). From there, they are sent to dealers. BMW Canada HQ is in the greater Toronto area.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #5233
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Just how can BMW isolate that high pressure gearbox issue to 31 built? They've noticed this during end of line testing and decided to let the dealers perform the corrective action?
I believe the 31 matches the number of bikes that are in Canada presently.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #5234
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
All bikes coming to Canada arrive at the port in Halifax, Nova Scotia, then on a train to the warehouse in Concord, Ontario (just north of Toronto). From there, they are sent to dealers. BMW Canada HQ is in the greater Toronto area.
I guess I should have been more specific. In NJ they can do predelivery work, do they do the same in Halifax, or is it just a distribution center?

My point is that I think BMW would prefer to do the work rather than pay the dealers to do it.

Jim
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #5235
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
I believe the 31 matches the number of bikes that are in Canada presently.
So is it just bikes in Canada, or worldwide that are affected?