Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #5476
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,065
I have the same GS for 6 years (mid-2007), bought it new.
Resale value currently sucks (yes even BMW doesn't hold resale any more, since GSes are plenty and we have a crisis, so it's cheap or no sale at all). It is quite possible that I would need to pay twice the amount I could sell it, plus maybe a further 20% to get it with what I want on.
(BTW previous bike was a Dakar, kept for 5 years - also resold with great loss)

I am debating if your "recycle" model is better. You sell 1yo bike which replaced a 2yo bike. So since 2007 (you have to add 1-2 more bikes from the ones shown in your signature I guess) how much "buy-sell" total you have? Ever calculated?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #5477
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Resale value currently sucks (yes even BMW doesn't hold resale any more, since GSes are plenty and we have a crisis, so it's cheap or no sale at all).
agree....not sure why so many others think differently.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #5478
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
agree....not sure why so many others think differently.
A friend told me that the R1200GS has a much higher demand/resale in the used market than other bikes. Don't know if this is true or not. Resale value may still suck though. Are the blue book values realistic?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #5479
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Deposit placed on 23rd of October.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #5480
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

It is a popular motorcycle, hence the decent demand, but there's also plenty of supply (will be interesting to see what impact the new GS will have on the 2010-2012 bikes). I can only speak of my experiences. I've sold two GS bikes ('09, '11), one R1200R ('09), and one RT ('11). Two of the four bikes went to buyers outside of the state, impressive given the population/demographics of the locale we live in. I had to almost give them away in order to move them. To NLS' point, it may be 2013 but it's still a buyer's market, especially with the higher priced bikes. The tough part is finding a buyer that has that much cash in hand, and hopefully you have the bike that no one else does, and/or live in the same city/state as he so to save on the hassles and costs of shipping.

Ask your dealer what they'll give you for your bike, EJ, I'd be interested to know. That price is the one that the private party buyer wants to pay as well, that's the cost of liquidity if you will. I just don't think that the GS depreciates less than most other bikes in its price category/class, at least my experiences don't support such. I seem to take the same kind of hit whether it's a BMW, Ducati, Aprilia, or Moto Guzzi. Having said that, i'll concede that the lower priced bikes seem to sell faster and carry a better resale level, relatively speaking.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #5481
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:

Ask your dealer what they'll give you for your bike, EJ, I'd be interested to know.
I'm afraid to know.....It might change my tune on getting the new GS if I see how much my '11 has cost me to own for 18 months.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #5482
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Having said that, i'll concede that the lower priced bikes seem to sell faster and carry a better resale level, relatively speaking.
Among the big adventure bikes, used GS models hold their value fairly well, but they're still expensive, generally highly-optioned, luxury goods so they suffer the higher depreciation of any vehicle that starts out more expensive. The frequent updates BMW has been making don't help resale either. It's a lot like cars - a BMW 7-Series will lose half its value within a couple years while Toyota Corolla will be still worth half its original value in triple this time.

If you want high resale (as a percentage of purchase price), then you buy cheaper, more utilitarian bikes. DRZs, KLRs and Wees have very good resale value. It helps that they're not revised very often.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #5483
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Resale value currently sucks (yes even BMW doesn't hold resale any more, since GSes are plenty and we have a crisis, so it's cheap or no sale at all).

Greece definately is in crisis..
http://carscoop.blogspot.be/2013/02/...greece-in.html
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #5484
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Ask your dealer what they'll give you for your bike, EJ, I'd be interested to know. That price is the one that the private party buyer wants to pay as well
Not certain about that part. I had my Tiger up for sale for a few days but then decided to keep it. Private offers were what I asked ($9900 with farkles), dealer offer on trade-in for the same stuff was $7500.

Decided to keep it another year or so and see how the new GS plays out.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #5485
EJ_92606
Rider

So anyone in the US hear anything more about expected delivery dates? Last I heard from my dealer was in early February and they said bikes were arriving at the NJ warehouse at that time. Given that pricing just showed up on the BMW USA website and press release was issued, perhaps that means that bikes will be arriving soon....
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #5486
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
I have the same GS for 6 years (mid-2007), bought it new.
Resale value currently sucks (yes even BMW doesn't hold resale any more, since GSes are plenty and we have a crisis, so it's cheap or no sale at all). It is quite possible that I would need to pay twice the amount I could sell it, plus maybe a further 20% to get it with what I want on.
(BTW previous bike was a Dakar, kept for 5 years - also resold with great loss)

I am debating if your "recycle" model is better. You sell 1yo bike which replaced a 2yo bike. So since 2007 (you have to add 1-2 more bikes from the ones shown in your signature I guess) how much "buy-sell" total you have? Ever calculated?
Lets just say that when I bought my 2012 Triple Black, I paid nowhere near sticker price, as I was in the right place at the right time. Without going into too many details, I lost just under 10% in a year. If the cost to change was too high, I would have kept it and waited for an LC when they hit the used market, but again, right place at the right time on the new LC, and a favourable deal was done.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #5487
NLS
My bike needs washing...

I envy you guys (in a good way).
My two BMW bikes were both bought new. All bikes before, bought used.
Unfortunately I don't think the situation locally (and most Europe) will allow me to think about a replacement in the next 3 years at least. Actually my wife wouldn't agree even to a 3-4k purchase, will probably divorce me for a 10k difference.

EDIT: Should I rise some "buy me a GS" fund or something? That other guy got a mil. from anonymous donor in youtube. :P

NLS screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 01:57 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #5488
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfman View Post
I have the motorcycle addiction no way could I be rich
Lotto is your friend.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #5489
NLS
My bike needs washing...

I haven't found new catalogs yet, but Wunderlich just announced on facebook the availability of new goodies for LC GS.

Not real news, but until someone finds actual news, it is something.

(MAGAZINE PDF SCANS ALWAYS WELCOME!)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #5490
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Not certain about that part. I had my Tiger up for sale for a few days but then decided to keep it. Private offers were what I asked ($9900 with farkles), dealer offer on trade-in for the same stuff was $7500.

Decided to keep it another year or so and see how the new GS plays out.
No argument here, cug....but I will maintain that no one really "wants" to pay more than some other person does, or what some guide says a bike is worth at the wholesale level. Also, the dealers will usually assign a value of zero to farkles unlike private parties who might pay more for them.