Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #5507
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Don't know if this has been posted before but
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/02/2...ampaign=weekly
33 seems to be the magic number for Canada.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #5508
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Actually BMW sales increase by 2% in 2012 compared to 2011 sales. December 2012 saw a 43.3% increase in deliveries compared to December 2011, pretty impressive. The R1200GS was the most popular model still (this does not include the GSA). Granted these are world-wide figures, but the USA was the 2nd largest market outside of Germany.
Wow, amazing. Of course none of those sales reflects deposits on the new WC GS. My opinion was coming from the fact that the same GSAs and Rallye GS have been on my dealer's showroom floor for months and I haven't seen any new camhead GS's there in awhile.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5509
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
33 seems to be the magic number for Canada.
I wonder if this software update is addressing the tank-slapping issue reported by a couple of the journo's down in SA?
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #5510
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
I wonder if this software update is addressing the tank-slapping issue reported by a couple of the journo's down in SA?
Uh oh...prepare for a beatdown from the fan boi faithful for even mentioning that!

Good question though. My guess is it's probably unrelated.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #5511
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Uh oh...prepare for a beatdown from the fan boi faithful for even mentioning that!

Good question though. My guess is it's probably unrelated.

I've been following along and well aware.

The new system on the LC is fairly sophisticated and coming from a sport bike, so I would expect this to be the first of a few software updates.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #5512
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
I thought I heard something. Anybody else?

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #5513
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Actually BMW sales increase by 2% in 2012 compared to 2011 sales. December 2012 saw a 43.3% increase in deliveries compared to December 2011, pretty impressive. The R1200GS was the most popular model still (this does not include the GSA). Granted these are world-wide figures, but the USA was the 2nd largest market outside of Germany.
That increase in December '12 deliveries may be due to a variety of factors and perhaps helped to increase their sales figures for the year, all in one month.

EJ, I'm hoping that you (#2) and the person holding the #2 spot both buy the first delivered bikes (I don't want a "Low") so to help make my decision easier
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #5514
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
That increase in December '12 deliveries may be due to a variety of factors and perhaps helped to increase their sales figures for the year, all in one month.

EJ, I'm hoping that you (#2) and the person holding the #2 spot both buy the first delivered bikes (I don't want a "Low") so to help make my decision easier
Well, you're #3 right? and there are four bikes with one being a low, so you're in! A friend stopped by an AZ dealer today and he said they wouldn't see the bikes until mid to late April....so perhaps the bikes are being held in NJ to have the oil restrictors installed and the software updated?

RE: December sales....those may be BMW Corporate sales and not dealer sales as well. Not sure which model bike they shipped so many of in December...certainly wasn't the old or the new GS and with the GS being their biggest seller I'm confused....
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #5515
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,754
The current issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine has an article on the internals of the new boxer. One of the images is a close up of the "Hybrid Cam Drive" and mentions Cams with automatic decompression for cold starting. Anyone know anything about that?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #5516
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Thumb

Quote:
Well, you're #3 right? and there are four bikes with one being a low, so you're in! A friend stopped by an AZ dealer today and he said they wouldn't see the bikes until mid to late April....so perhaps the bikes are being held in NJ to have the oil restrictors installed and the software updated?
Meant to type #1 and #2......i think one of the four is going to be a demo?, another a "low" so that leaves two remaining for sale. If one isn't a demo then yes, I would have a shot at one.

In truth? I'm ok waiting until next year.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #5517
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
The current issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine has an article on the internals of the new boxer. One of the images is a close up of the "Hybrid Cam Drive" and mentions Cams with automatic decompression for cold starting. Anyone know anything about that?
I haven't read the article yet, but there are some cool pics of the internals. Look how light the shift cam looks on the opposite page
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #5518
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
Thumb

! A friend stopped by an AZ dealer today and he said they wouldn't see the bikes until mid to late April...

Uhhhhhgggg. I'm all for the "fix it first" idea (if that's what is occurring) but come on. The longer it takes the more apt I am to re-claim my deposit and impulse buy a discounted rallye or ......

Ok, unlikely. But still, this will change my spring break plans in S. Utah.

To me, and I'm NOT in the motorcycle distribution business, it seems that getting the bikes delivered to the dealerships that could benefit the most from a) having a model on the floor, and b) fixing a relatively straight forward restrictor/ or bi) applying a software update would be more efficient. Unless there's a training or liability issue that dealerships can't or don't want to deal with.

Someone tell me that the late April ETA is wrong...just wrong.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #5519
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
! A friend stopped by an AZ dealer today and he said they wouldn't see the bikes until mid to late April...

Uhhhhhgggg. I'm all for the "fix it first" idea (if that's what is occurring) but come on. The longer it takes the more apt I am to re-claim my deposit and impulse buy a discounted rallye or ......
When I was at my dealership a week ago and both the general manager and sales manager gave me the window of early March to early April. They thought it would be earlier rather than later. Nothing definite though, don't know if that is any help.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #5520
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Meant to type #1 and #2......i think one of the four is going to be a demo?, another a "low" so that leaves two remaining for sale. If one isn't a demo then yes, I would have a shot at one.

In truth? I'm ok waiting until next year.
I heard they are going to make the low suspension bike their demo...so no excuses!