Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #5536
T@z
Belgian beers drinker

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I can't. The GSA is to big (high) for me.

I saw a pic of a GSA with a low seat. It must be quite the same the GS.
T@z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #5537
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@z View Post
I saw a pic of a GSA with a low seat. It must be quite the same the GS.
Suspension is 2 cm higher than a regular GS. And I got a GS on order with low seat and low suspension (and no, I can't put my feet flat on the ground). 1m67 isn't that good for a biker.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #5538
T@z
Belgian beers drinker

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Suspension is 2 cm higher than a regular GS. And I got a GS on order with low seat and low suspension (and no, I can't put my feet flat on the ground). 1m67 isn't that good for a biker.

With all the potholes in the roads, the 2 cm are a must
T@z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #5539
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Who's your dealer?
Ludwig Motors, a nice and trusty guy in my opinion.
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #5540
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
I am probably at least 20 kg lighter than you, so that does compensate.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #5541
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
First of all current GSA had indeed 2cm longer suspension, but this is quite necessary to compensate for the higher load.

Second... you seem to miss that we don't know when next GSA is coming and HOW will next GSA look (and what kind of differences it will have).

2013 GS design is quite different than previous GS. It manages to have about a cm more clearance but at the same time gain about 2 cm for the rider.
So let's not assume anything.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #5542
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
First of all current GSA had indeed 2cm longer suspension, but this is quite necessary to compensate for the higher load.

Second... you seem to miss that we don't know when next GSA is coming and HOW will next GSA look (and what kind of differences it will have).

2013 GS design is quite different than previous GS. It manages to have about a cm more clearance but at the same time gain about 2 cm for the rider.
So let's not assume anything.
Wise man there.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #5543
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
So all and all BMW sales are rather poor in the USA. A country with 280 million people buys less bmw's than one with 60 million people. I usually prefer the relative sales numbers.
If you are going to do that, then you would have to also take into account percentage of the population that actually rides. Given that the USA has a smaller percentage of riders than the other large sales markets quoted in the statistics I gave (European countries), I wouldn't go on to say BMW sales are poor. Compared to Harley Davidson, yes BMW sales are low, but compared to other imported European motorcycle brands they have quite impressive sales numbers.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #5544
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Slow news, everybody is waiting...

I am always waiting for a good guy that will scan any paper mag review on the new GS. :)

In the meantime, Touratech released two small videos about their trip to Madagaskar (with 2013 GS obviously)...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TouratechVideo
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #5545
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
2 weeks out...

Got an unsolicited call from my dealer today; all good news.

The GM reported that the bikes destined for his dealership are on US soil AND he just today got a chance to put dibs on both number of bikes (based on predetermined numbers and deposits) to be received AND in which trims. He had to call BMW back immedietely to confirm he (I) wanted a white, spoked wheel, fully loaded WC GS. BTW- he said there was only one available with all of these attributes but I have no idea if that was for Colorado, Denver, Intermountain, etc. I didn't ask since well, all's I want is 1!
He told me to expect it to be here (aka: expect to pay for it) in 2 weeks. I just put a circle on the calendar around March 8

Not sure if this means anything for our other western states but there you go. If you were hoping for a specific color/trim it might be worth checking with with your dealership.

Also, and I'm pretty sure this is old news, he doesn't expect any of the BMW aluminum panniers to be available for the WC model until the GSA is released. So if you want aluminum/top loaders look elsewhere. (touratech=approx. a month for the new rack per touratech).

MdlM
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #5546
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
Got an unsolicited call from my dealer today; all good news.

The GM reported that the bikes destined for his dealership are on US soil AND he just today got a chance to put dibs on both number of bikes (based on predetermined numbers and deposits) to be received AND in which trims. He had to call BMW back immedietely to confirm he (I) wanted a white, spoked wheel, fully loaded WC GS. BTW- he said there was only one available with all of these attributes but I have no idea if that was for Colorado, Denver, Intermountain, etc. I didn't ask since well, all's I want is 1!
He told me to expect it to be here (aka: expect to pay for it) in 2 weeks. I just put a circle on the calendar around March 8

Not sure if this means anything for our other western states but there you go. If you were hoping for a specific color/trim it might be worth checking with with your dealership.

Also, and I'm pretty sure this is old news, he doesn't expect any of the BMW aluminum panniers to be available for the WC model until the GSA is released. So if you want aluminum/top loaders look elsewhere. (touratech=approx. a month for the new rack per touratech).

MdlM
Not long to wait now, this is getting very exciting
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #5547
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2261

Hi res pictures here and also a pdf download which discusses the decompression amongst other things paul
Thanks.
"The timing chain drives an intermediate shaft between the intake and exhaust camshaft and it is from here that power is transmitted to the camshafts via spur gear pairs. At each exhaust camshaft there is an centrifugal-force-driven decompression facility which facilitates the start-up process. This makes it possible to save weight in the starter motor and battery."
Guess I missed that on an earlier reading. Centrifugal. Interesting.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #5548
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Thanks.
"The timing chain drives an intermediate shaft between the intake and exhaust camshaft and it is from here that power is transmitted to the camshafts via spur gear pairs. At each exhaust camshaft there is an centrifugal-force-driven decompression facility which facilitates the start-up process. This makes it possible to save weight in the starter motor and battery."
Guess I missed that on an earlier reading. Centrifugal. Interesting.
I was never very happy with the load on the battery on cold winter starts. This should help enormously! Listening to the new GS starting up on all the videos we have seen, it does seem to spin up more easily

What amused me when I saw it, was all the instructor bikes on the UK Off Road Skills course had jump leads stuck on the bike. Obviously the student bikes could not take the constant starts after stalling etc and needed jump starting
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #5549
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Got to see the bike today at the last day of the Progressive IMS in Charlotte. Was really impressed with it, doesn't feel as bulky as the out-going model. Only got to sit on it for a few seconds though, it seemed to be one of the more crowded bikes at the show. I don't know if it is true but one of the reps told me bikes would be in dealers by next week but that none of them would be premium plus models so i will have to wait longer. At least i got a 30% off accessories/apperal coupon to save a little money.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #5550
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Got to see the bike today at the last day of the Progressive IMS in Charlotte. Was really impressed with it, doesn't feel as bulky as the out-going model. Only got to sit on it for a few seconds though, it seemed to be one of the more crowded bikes at the show. I don't know if it is true but one of the reps told me bikes would be in dealers by next week but that none of them would be premium plus models so i will have to wait longer. At least i got a 30% off accessories/apperal coupon to save a little money.
I heard same thing from my dealer...March 1 arrival, no premium plus = no LED, no TPM and none of the three they are getting have spoked wheels. I think my previous speculation about the DOT delayed approval was correct in that the first batch they produced for the U.S. were spec'd as halogen headlights in case the DOT approval did not come through.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote