And another riding around video:

Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #5792
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
What did you read today and why is it not scanned yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
RichBMW....c'mon man....really?

If you don't already work for BMW you should!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Ya, what did you read today?
Sorry guys, I typed that then went to bed

Have a look here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=506 there's loads on there, as the bike was officially launched here yesterday, so quite a few took delivery of their bikes, and several folks had test rides. All very positive, and no head shakes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #5793
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmaxOz View Post
I mainly use the bike for riding to work and it will need to be up to filtering and splitting though CBD traffic, does anyone use their GS for th daily commute in traffic?
You'll be very happily surprised when you get used to handling the bike.
I am usually delayed by mopeds when filtering in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Hmmmm, I'm trying to picture how that's going to work with tank panniers.
WHY panniers when going to work really?
What is wrong with a quality (read: not BMW own) and large top-box?
When in the city I usually do not have any box on the bike (except if I know I want to carry something) and when I do I prefer the top-box like 100% of the time. My carry bag goes on my back fine.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #5794
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,324
Quote:
Nice one, sounds like I should be ok. I am not a mad lane splitter but there are occassions when you just have to.
I commute on my GSA here in CA where we can lane split. I enjoy the upright seating position for a good view of traffic. While a bike with clippons is narrower, the GSA does ok. Like said, my bars are above car mirrors but need to watch pickups and big SUVs.

I also ride with just a top box, but the side cases are not a real problem.

About a third of riders split faster than I do, by the way.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #5795
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
The guys at the dealership were raving about the blue one. I'm not sure. Would like to see the red in the metal first.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #5796
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
It is nice to see that something as simple as a new motorcycle can create so much interest and stir up so much emotion. As many of you, I am also waiting to get my new 1200GS LC.

Yesterday I went down to my local BMW Motorrad dealer to have a look at the demo bike and chat with the owner.

He is a former motocross rider that has been competing on an international level, so when it comes to off-road riding and standing on the pegs he knows what he is talking about. Last week he was in Morocco participating in the international BMW Motorrad dealer event. Here are his comments and first impressions:

All 1200GS LC have been grounded until the connection between the upper stanchion (BMW part number 31 42 8 543 628) and the insert plug has been checked by using a special tool provided by BMW Motorrad.

The coding plug (BMW part number 12 52 7 727 856) that enables the Enduro Pro mode and mode memory function will not be provided to customers until a software update has been installed. The software update will be available from BMW Motorrad medio April 2013. This means that the first wave of new bikes will not be able to use the Enduro Pro mode until medio April 2013. The reason for this software update should be that the warning lights for ABS and ASC does not turn on again after the ignition has been turned off in Enduro Pro mode. Basically, it is not a significant issue but just two missing warning lights.

According to the info from BMW Motorrad 80% of new 1200GS LC will be delivered with Michelin Anakee 3 and the other 20% with Metzeler Tourance Next tires. This is not a technical issue but just a matter of cost and supplier capacity.

Other comments:

The weight distribution on the new 1200GS LC is more forward and low down compared to the former 1200GS, which makes handling much easier and especially when standing up on the pegs the handling and maneuverability have taken a big step forward. This combined with the new dynamic ESA and ride modes makes handling on- and off-road so much easier. Dynamic ESA is an absolute must on this bike and makes the significant difference between the new 1200GS LC and the former 1200GS. Changing between the different ride modes expands the usability of the bike.

The new engine is more powerful and provides more torque with a lot less vibration. It is not only the engine power that has been improved but also the engine breaking is better. A welcome improvement when engine breaking down steep descents especially when off-roading. Sound is a matter of taste but a flap in the exhaust can provide a big smile on some riders faces. Throttle response is without delay when accelerating but in Rain and Enduro mode there is a short delay before the engine break kicks in after you let go of the throttle. It takes a little time before you gets use to this but it is not an issue.

Slipper-clutch will make itself noticed by providing a little sound when you take the bike to the max. Engaging the clutch is very light and gear box is smooth. After you get a feel for the throttle and the shifter then up shifting is easy without using the clutch. The new wet clutch has introduced a phenomenon that has been known by K1200 and K1300 riders for years. A nice loud "clunk" when you engage first gear.

Ergonomics are great and any former GS rider will feel at home when mounting the new 1200GS LC. However, the introduction of the one-hand turn signal switch may take a few days to get use to. Activating the turn signal switch may result in activating the scroll wheel for the GPS and the GPS will start to zoom. This is also a matter of getting use to the new ergonomics.

Breaks are better than ever. Easy to apply the right pressure and a lot of stopping power.

He did a lot of off-road riding on the Metzeler Tourance Next and they performed very well. An other colleague tested the new Metzeler Karro 3 and they performed very well on tarmac compared to other knobby tires.

Well, that is the first impressions he got and please don't start to flame me with negative comments. This is just his words. I am getting my own new 1200GS LC in a week and then I will be happy to provide my own comments. Until then I will continue to plan all the riding I am going to do this summer on the new beast. The adventure begins in a weeks time.

Max :-)

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 06:41 AM
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #5797
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Hi guys, long time lurker in Oz on a Versys 650.

Ordered a new 13 GS for delivery in May, can't wait!

The GS will be my first big bike having ridden for only just over a year.

I mainly use the bike for riding to work and it will need to be up to filtering and splitting though CBD traffic, does anyone use their GS for th daily commute in traffic?

I know the GS is probably not ideal for this purpose but I also wanted a bike for longer weekend runs and a little off road exploring and that it is clearly ideal for.

Also, I love how the Aussie dollar has been above the USD for the past few years yet our local BMW prices are way above the US at $28K for a top specced model, ughhh!
In my region the gs is one of the most popular bikes for commuting. Mine will also be mainly used to drive to work.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #5798
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
The guys at the dealership were raving about the blue one. I'm not sure. Would like to see the red in the metal first.
Love the looks of the blue one.....different but so BMW.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #5799
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

Other comments:

The weight distribution on the new 1200GS LC is more forward and low down compared to the former 1200GS, which makes handling much easier and especially when standing up on the pegs the handling and maneuverability have taken a big step forward. This combined with the new dynamic ESA and ride modes makes handling on- and off-road so much easier. Dynamic ESA is an absolute must on this bike and makes the significant difference between the new 1200GS LC and the former 1200GS. Changing between the different ride modes expands the usability of the bike.

The new engine is more powerful and provides more torque with a lot less vibration. It is not only the engine power that has been improved but also the engine breaking is better. A welcome improvement when engine breaking down steep descents especially when off-roading. Sound is a matter of taste but a flap in the exhaust can provide a big smile on some riders face. Throttle response is without delay when accelerating but in Rain and Enduro mode there is a short delay before the engine break kicks in after you let go of the throttle. It takes a little time before you gets use to this but it is not an issue.

Slipper-clutch will make itself noticed by providing a little sound when you take the bike to the max. Engaging the clutch is very light and gear box is smooth. After you get a feel for the throttle and the shifter then up shifting is easy without using the clutch. The new wet clutch has introduced a phenomenon that has been known by K1200 and K1300 riders for years. A nice loud "clunk" when you engage first gear.

Ergonomics are great and any former GS rider will feel at home when mounting the new 1200GS LC. However, the introduction of the one-hand turn signal switch may take a few days to get use to. Activating the turn signal switch may result in activating the scroll wheel for the GPS and the GPS will start to zoom. This is also a matter of getting use to the new ergonomics.

Breaks are better then ever. Easy to apply the right pressure and a lot of stopping power.

He did a lot of off-road riding on the Metzeler Tourance Next and they performed very well. An other colleague tested the new Metzeler Karro 3 and they performed very well on tarmac compared to other knobby tires.

Well, that is the first impressions he got and please don't start to flame me with negative comments. This is just his words. I am getting my own new 1200GS LC in a week and then I will be happy to provide my own comments. Until then I will continue to plan all the riding I am going to do this summer on the new beast. The adventure begins in a weeks time.

Enjoyed reading them, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #5800
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,874
Thanks for the info, although most is sales talk which seems to be a bit of a copy from the brochure.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #5801
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thanks for the info, although most is sales talk which seems to be a bit of a copy from the brochure.
My thoughts exactly. Not that they would exaggerate in the marketing brochure ;) but the part of esa must be is sales talk ;)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #5802
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,465
Quote:
It is nice to see that something as simple as a new motorcycle can create so much interest and stir up so much emotion. As many of you, I am also waiting to get my new 1200GS LC.

Yesterday I went down to my local BMW Motorrad dealer to have a look at the demo bike and chat with the owner.

He is a former motocross rider that has been competing on an international level, so when it comes to off-road riding and standing on the pegs he knows what he is talking about. Last week he was in Morocco participating in the international BMW Motorrad dealer event. Here are his comments and first impressions:

All 1200GS LC have been grounded until the connection between the upper stanchion (BMW part number 31 42 8 543 628) and the insert plug has been checked by using a special tool provided by BMW Motorrad.

The coding plug (BMW part number 12 52 7 727 856) that enables the Enduro Pro mode and mode memory function will not be provided to customers until a software update has been installed. The software update will be available from BMW Motorrad medio April 2013. This means that the first wave of new bikes will not be able to use the Enduro Pro mode until medio April 2013. The reason for this software update should be that the warning lights for ABS and ASC does not turn on again after the ignition has been turned off in Enduro Pro mode. Basically, it is not a significant issue but just two missing warning lights.

According to the info from BMW Motorrad 80% of new 1200GS LC will be delivered with Michelin Anakee 3 and the other 20% with Metzeler Tourance Next tires. This is not a technical issue but just a matter of cost and supplier capacity.

Other comments:

The new engine is more powerful and provides more torque with a lot less vibration. It is not only the engine power that has been improved but also the engine breaking is better. A welcome improvement when engine breaking down steep descents especially when off-roading. Sound is a matter of taste but a flap in the exhaust can provide a big smile on some riders faces. Throttle response is without delay when accelerating but in Rain and Enduro mode there is a short delay before the engine break kicks in after you let go of the throttle. It takes a little time before you gets use to this but it is not an issue.

Breaks are better than ever. Easy to apply the right pressure and a lot of stopping power.

I would be broken hearted to see the engine on my brand new bike break. I think I would brake to a halt and break out cursing a blue streak.

stevie88 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:19 PM
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #5803
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:

Other comments:

Great summary, only I love my 2010 GS, BMW: Lets bring on the LC-GSA, that will get my attention.
I want: Taller shield and seat, larger tank, more clearance, a bit more power.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #5804
TomDoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
i want: Taller shield and seat, larger tank, more clearance, a bit more power.
+1.
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #5805
AvTech37
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Took one out today for a 30 minute blast and all I can say is 'fantastic'. I could go on about all sorts of aspects of the bike but I won't.....I'm sure they will sell shedloads though.
Bearing in mind it was all on road and only for 30 minutes, I can't really think of anything to complain about - indeed just the opposite. The engine characteristics are very impressive and the way it goes round corners is absolutrly amazing (Tourance Nexts). Very impressive.
For the record, I'm comparing it to an 1150GS.....and an HP2sport.
Now, I just have to convince the Missus.............................
AvTech37 is offline   Reply With Quote