ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #5821
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Great summary, only I love my 2010 GS, BMW: Lets bring on the LC-GSA, that will get my attention.
I want: Taller shield and seat, larger tank, more clearance, a bit more power.
With all this posts, someone would think you can do better with quoting text.
Anyway...

GSA more power = 0% chance.
More clearance possible (like current GSA), but (like current GSA) expect this to be so that the extra load can be handled properly in bumps etc.

"Adventure" is soooo wrong name for the fat model - but that is another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'm 6'7" and every inch helps

Now that we're at it, those hand-guards would make for great LED turn signals.
You know why the hand-guards are there right?
Maybe you guys actually want a pure street bike?
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #5822
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
With all this posts, someone would think you can do better with quoting text.
Anyway...

GSA more power = 0% chance.
More clearance possible (like current GSA), but (like current GSA) expect this to be so that the extra load can be handled properly in bumps etc.

"Adventure" is soooo wrong name for the fat model - but that is another topic.



You know why the hand-guards are there right?
Maybe you guys actually want a pure street bike?
Street bike?
Yes. To me the GS is the best (and only) suitable motorcycle.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #5823
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Street bike?
Yes. To me the GS is the best (and only) suitable motorcycle.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #5824
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
I have nothing against ESA, my bike is ordered with it :) I think it might be usefull, definately fun but not really a must have. I've driven all my life without dynamic suspension and I somehow survived. Sometimes when You listen to salespeople it's like listening to an infomercial. After a while You start to wonder how the hell did You survive all your life without that fancy-shmancy made in china egg opening and separating device

When I was ordering the configuration for my bike I decided I don't need tire pressure sensors. And I was told a chilling story how one of the customers' life was saved by it, that he was driving for quite a while on a flat tire, and if it wasn't for the sensors he would have died on the first turn... And it made me go a bit 'wtf' inside. How the hell can you drive on a flat tire and not notice that, few psi less and any normal rider feels the floating ;) But a sales pitch is a sales pitch
I often wonder how I survived before I had the internet and my iPhone!
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #5825
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,046


ooook
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #5826
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

"Adventure" is soooo wrong name for the fat model - but that is another topic.
A friend of mine who took an '08 GSA to Sakhalin Island and did some hard-core offroad trecking including multiple river crossings rode a standard '11 R12GS the other day and said the Sakhalin trip would have been much easier on that bike. But the GSA does look a lot more imposing at Starbucks.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #5827
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
A friend of mine who took an '08 GSA to Sakhalin Island and did some hard-core offroad trecking including multiple river crossings rode a standard '11 R12GS the other day and said the Sakhalin trip would have been much easier on that bike. But the GSA does look a lot more imposing at Starbucks.
Ha! GS is for European's but not for us North American's, we want things to be big. Cinquecento for Italians, F150 for the rest of us
To be serious, I modified my GS so a couple years later it turned into a GSA (but the tank), add all that stainless steel stuff individually cost a lot more money.
Crashbars, seat, wind protection, lower wider pegs, shifter, brake pedal, suspension, fog lights...

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 06:41 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #5828
TomDoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: The Sunny Side of Alps
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Street bike?
Yes. To me the GS is the best (and only) suitable motorcycle.
They dont understand that even the Adv. is to small/low for very long inseams....
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #5829
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
I have nothing against ESA, my bike is ordered with it :) I think it might be usefull, definately fun but not really a must have. I've driven all my life without dynamic suspension and I somehow survived. Sometimes when You listen to salespeople it's like listening to an infomercial. After a while You start to wonder how the hell did You survive all your life without that fancy-shmancy made in china egg opening and separating device

When I was ordering the configuration for my bike I decided I don't need tire pressure sensors. And I was told a chilling story how one of the customers' life was saved by it, that he was driving for quite a while on a flat tire, and if it wasn't for the sensors he would have died on the first turn... And it made me go a bit 'wtf' inside. How the hell can you drive on a flat tire and not notice that, few psi less and any normal rider feels the floating ;) But a sales pitch is a sales pitch
Also orderer mine with ESA and I think most will do so. Only few bikes will be sold without options. They are nice and it is pricey anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Go for thunder grey then!
Check. Perhaps I'll look to wrap some grey parts. Idk yet.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #5830
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post


You know why the hand-guards are there right?
Maybe you guys actually want a pure street bike?
You haven't seen the streets round here?
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #5831
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Perhaps I'll look to wrap some grey parts. Idk yet.
I'm thinking along the same lines
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #5832
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
W

"Adventure" is soooo wrong name for the fat model - but that is another topic.

I am so over the term "adventure"...

Pretty much at the point that I'd pay extra just to not have the Adventure tag on my bikes.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #5833
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

All 1200GS LC have been grounded until the connection between the upper stanchion (BMW part number 31 42 8 543 628) and the insert plug has been checked by using a special tool provided by BMW Motorrad.
Thanks for posting these comments. Does anyone have any more information about this issue? What is the insert plug they are referring to? There were previously some comments about the bracket for the brake cable...is this the same thing or perhaps something related to the head shake issue?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #5834
268
Gnarly Adventurer
 
268's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium, de koekestad.
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for posting these comments. Does anyone have any more information about this issue? What is the insert plug they are referring to? There were previously some comments about the bracket for the brake cable...is this the same thing or perhaps something related to the head shake issue?
apparantly on one (and that's just one) of the bikes with already several 1000's of kilometers, ridden by a working-member of BMW motorrad company, a bolt that holds the brake line in its place underneath the forkbridge came loose.
Nothing serious, but better safe than sorry, they are changing or securing this bolt, so it should stay in its place

(source : German BMW dealer)
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5835
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MaxReving's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: On The Twisty Roads
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for posting these comments. Does anyone have any more information about this issue? What is the insert plug they are referring to? There were previously some comments about the bracket for the brake cable...is this the same thing or perhaps something related to the head shake issue?
This is the items in question. See picture below. The bushing is pos. 2 + 3. The bushing is forced down into the pipe and in a few cases it has not had the right specified friction and has come loose. Special tool is needed to check that the bushing has a tight fit and correct friction.

[IMG] photo Skaeligrmbillede2013-03-04kl194952_zps6d9a6bd6.png[/IMG]

Max :-)

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 01:19 PM
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014