Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #5851
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWombat View Post
Ta Da!

Behold! The Vampire Duck!
Haha, I love that name. Very nice post, thanks for sharing.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #5852
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
So, I'm not sure if I want these now, or not. It's either stick with these, as they are on order, or go for an Akropovic exhaust instead. What do you guys reckon?
Akra all the way.
Will replace extra lights passive safety with extra sound passive safety. :)
Lighter, cooler looking too.
Maybe a couple of HP in there also.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #5853
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Not to get off topic but I really want that K1600R!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #5854
Bikerboy108
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 863
Will they have a low frame model???
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #5855
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Many of you may already have noticed but I just wanted to mention that the new 1200GS LC continue to use the principal with a fuel level sensor based on a floating plastic part. See pos. 3 in the picture below.

On some BMW models including the early K25's they used a fuel level electronic strip but they have proved not to be so good and many of these strips have been replaced over the years.

Thank you BMW Motorrad for using a fuel level sensor with a floating plastic part and not an electronic strip.

Max :-)

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:24 PM
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #5856
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Bad news for US cutomers...my dealer advised me today that 2000 GS's were imported into the country for dealers to do demo's. Today they got the word from BMW that all of them have been re-called prior to delivery which was supposed to be this week. No further information was available as to when they would actually get the bikes, or why they were re-called.

Bummer!
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #5857
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
The blue colour is horrible beyond words
don't buy one

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #5858
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

This has for sure been noticed by all of you but I just wanted to mention that the new GPS mounting unit on the new 1200GS LC has a VIN lock. For me this is a very welcome improvement. Gone are the days were you had to buy an ugly looking and overpriced GPS holder from Touratech in order to secure your GPS unit to your bike. The lock on the new GPS mounting unit from BMW can be coded to use the ignition key. Makes it simpler and a lot better than the shitty keys provided with the Touratech holder.

Lock is pos. 12 on the picture below.

It is not a major selling point for the new 1200GS LC but for me it will be a positive improvement that I will notice every time I use my bike. One bike - one key. And I do not mind that it looks nice too.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #5859
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Just read on a German Forum about unhappy German's because the factory has a delivery stop/delay of some sort, same issues as in Canada with the pressure reducer at the transmission output shaft and front modification. The way I read this is that the fork tubes are secured via a special tool instead of Loctite, I may be wrong. The German's call the guy performing that work "The Punzer"??
Also, no more test rides until everything is fixed and that's not a bad thing I'd say.

http://www.gs-forum.eu/r-1200-gs-lc-...ml#post1137582

There's a picture of the front modification:
http://www.gs-forum.eu/attachments/r...c-imag1174.jpg

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 09:21 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #5860
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
Bad news for US cutomers...my dealer advised me today that 2000 GS's were imported into the country for dealers to do demo's. Today they got the word from BMW that all of them have been re-called prior to delivery which was supposed to be this week. No further information was available as to when they would actually get the bikes, or why they were re-called.

Bummer!
As I have already mentioned in an earlier comment then the worldwide re-call is based on a loose bushing that just has to be checked by the dealers. A special tool will be provided by BMW Motorrad and that is what they are waiting for.

Bushing in question is pos. 2 + 3 in the picture below.

How long it takes before they get the tool I don't know but my guess is that they are working day and night at BMW Motorrad in order to get this fixed.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #5861
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post

Bummer!
As has been previously reported....
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #5862
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
DrunkWombat, Vampire Duck killed me I might adopt the name if my GF keeps insisting that calling the new GS Vroom-Vroom (with a dreamy-drooly smile on my face) makes me look like a handicapped 5 year old

I'm browsing through ukgs forum on news from lucky bastards that already got their bikes and I found some feedback on LED headlights:

Quote:
Nutty...I have the new Led headlight and have ridden my gs at night. The light is much brighter than on my old gs adv 2010. It really is a better bike all round. Keep counting them hours down until you get yours, it REALLY IS WORTH IT
Quote:
Just back from a quick blast around. Cold now - things I do .....

The LED head light, brilliant ! It's a very white light as you would expect and gives a good spread to the beam. Dip beam seems a tad low (did have some twat in a Lexus flashing his brake lights at me, I wasn't close so I'm not sure what his problem was!) any way, high beam is good and the visibility must be 200+ feet easily.

I've got HID's on the car....they are so last year now!!
Quote:
I just went out for a quick 10 mile run round the block to see what the LED light was like for you. Very interesting - on dip, it it is a very precise flat beam, it's definitely a better quality of light than the old twin cam. On full beam it is very good indeed.

However, there are two things I noticed - one is that on dip, the forward edge of the beam spread is extremely precise, ie there is no light spill beyond the edge of the dipped beam. The other is that when you flick down from high beam to dip there is a slight delay after you move the switch and the high beam switching off.

As an aside, the dash backlight is now in cool white as well, and I find it really very clean and sharp, easy to read - big improvement on the twin cam.

Like jonnyp I think the dip beam is too low, so I'll be rtfm-ing that later...
Hmm, not being a native english speaker, dip beam is normal lights (as in low beam ?)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #5863
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
DrunkWombat, Vampire Duck killed me I might adopt the name if my GF keeps insisting that calling the new GS Vroom-Vroom (with a dreamy-drooly smile on my face) makes me look like a handicapped 5 year old

I'm browsing through ukgs forum on news from lucky bastards that already got their bikes and I found some feedback on LED headlights:

Hmm, not being a native english speaker, dip beam is normal lights (as in low beam ?)
Correct, dip beam = normal lights, low beam
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #5864
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post

Dip beam is the normal lighting for use at night. High beam is the thing you can flash (I don't know another way to express it). And DRL is the flat U shape. Parking light's are the last possibility.

Don't we all behave like drooling kids just before getting our bikes? Don't think that will change over the years.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #5865
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Don't we all behave like drooling kids just before getting our bikes? Don't think that will change over the years.
Why should it?
I mean if you don't feel that way maybe you shouldn't ever change anything, right?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote