Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #5896
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Seems pretty black and white to me. Famous motorcycle journalist known for his enthusiasm yet still conservative crashes on gravel. BMW builds a wall of silence around the accident that has remained since then... Other journalists reporting offroad stability problems. Now a fork part recall. The math adds up in the absence of BMW simply being straightforward with the Ash accident.
It's always interesting the conclusions that people can draw armed with a few "facts." FWIW:
  1. Many, many things can cause a crash, particularly off-road. Are there any facts that the alleged headshake issue caused this one?
  2. Corporations always err on the side of being reticent, particularly where liability may be involved. What did you expect BMW to do other than express regret?
  3. Has anyone bothered to contact any of the journalists to ask for more information about the instability issue? If they are afraid of being banned from future BMW tests or denied advertising dollars, they could surely comment anonymously.
  4. Personally, I'm glad that BMW is fixing problems, no matter how they come to light.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #5897
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Not if you're intelligent enough to realize that a sample size of 1 is indicative of absolutely nothing, and that equating a tragic accident with a gross design defect in an inherently risky hobby is senseless.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I've always lusted after a GS, but they've always felt too BIG when I've ridden them. Perhaps this one will be THE ONE.
Never really bonded with the Duc Multistrada 1200S, even after 50,000 miles and several X-USA trips. Maybe a GS is in my future yet...
Doc, can I bother you for a bit of off topic?
Since the Ulysses is "two bikes back" now, how would you comment about it? I always hated it, but (erm... as every other brand out there) it was one more "GS in the place of GS" back then. So how was it?
About MS12... why you haven't bonded you think? (with all these miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post
Exactly. Actually someone talking like him about a crash on gravel most probably haven't ever ridden on gravel (which is a bit strange since twinrider looks like he has millions of miles on saddle). I have dropped like sh*t with much more "enduro pure" bikes than the GS at places where I probably shouldn't (and no I am not THAT bad, it happens). Doesn't mean anything.

There are many other things I could say but let's not talk that much about a case we don't know anything about (and someone we don't know anything about too, except what we have read).

That said, yes I expect more light sooner or later.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #5898
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
I tried to search the interwebz for riders manual for the new machine today but without success. Would be nice to get occupied with something while waiting and study it beforehand so I don't waste riding time after getting the bike :)
Maybe someone has access to it?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #5899
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
I tried to search the interwebz for riders manual for the new machine today but without success. Would be nice to get occupied with something while waiting and study it beforehand so I don't waste riding time after getting the bike :)
Maybe someone has access to it?
I had a look as well, but to no avail. If you find it on download, let's have a link
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #5900
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud

Oddometer: 2,161

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #5901
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Never really bonded with the Duc Multistrada 1200S, even after 50,000 miles and several X-USA trips. Maybe a GS is in my future yet...

Thanks again.

--Doc
Doc,

With all due respect, that's just a crock of !! You wouldn't have lasted 50k miles and bought a second one if you hadn't bonded with the Italian hottie.. You're a bike ho at heart and looking for a reason to cheat on your spouse with a new mistress, as you cheated on the Uly with your new MultiMistress!

I'd be very interested in reading your feedback and impressions on the GS LC once you've had a chance to try it out!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #5902
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Sorry, I only had it for an hour so wanted to just ride. Will get some pictures when I get mine
If it's half as good as my 2001 1150GS has been it will be an outstanding bike. I'm not an early adapter of new technology, especially all the whiz-bang electronics (usually can't afford it), but this thing looks SWEET. I hope you have nothing but great experiences with it.

Doug
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #5903
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:

Thanks again.

--Doc
i actually believe Doc; he's maintained his curiousity (and doubts to some degree) about other bikes during ownership of his last two Multistradas. while i don't think his hopes of the GS being any smaller of a bike will be met (it's actually physically heavier), the new GS may just be what he's looking for (less hassle factor, a bit more robust from a design/build perspective).

go ride one Doc and let us know what you think!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5904
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
it's actually physically heavier
This is mentioned again and again but the numbers don't support it.

The new one comes standard with ABS, the old one didn't, therefore the old one could be lighter - but not with the same equipment. When you compare similarly equipped 2012 vs. 2013 GSs, they have the same weight according to actual measurements (like in the current issue of the German magazine Motorrad) and according to BMW.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #5905
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
This is mentioned again and again but the numbers don't support it.

The new one comes standard with ABS, the old one didn't, therefore the old one could be lighter - but not with the same equipment. When you compare similarly equipped 2012 vs. 2013 GSs, they have the same weight according to actual measurements (like in the current issue of the German magazine Motorrad) and according to BMW.
very well then...it might just be "what the doctor ordered."
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #5906
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
very well then...it might just be "what the doctor ordered."
Maybe - it's still quite a bit bigger and heavier than a Multi. I liked it though. It definitely felt lighter than the old version - even for my wife (she's 5'7").
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #5907
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Maybe - it's still quite a bit bigger and heavier than a Multi. I liked it though. It definitely felt lighter than the old version - even for my wife (she's 5'7").
Cug, did you ride the new GS? If so, which dealer?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #5908
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
I think the Doc knows that a smaller bike than the Multi he is not getting with the new GS. He does love cruise control though!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #5909
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Cug, did you ride the new GS? If so, which dealer?
Nope, not yet. I sat on it fairly extensively during IMS in San Mateo.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #5910
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Nope, not yet. I sat on it fairly extensively during IMS in San Mateo.
All of the above from just sitting on it? Hec, even I did that!