ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #6001
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Umm, he just bought a Panigale, so I don't think affording a GS is an issue and I think his post was directed to the user RichBMW and not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Thanks bud. I'm off this morning to watch it being unpacked, then it's the agonising wait until Saturday
Thanks, EJ.......

Rich, sounds like a fun way to start the day....only "one more sleep" until the fun really begins.
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #6002
Rauven
I like the cold...
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Tønsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 201
Wicked

AAAAA ! Just got a message from the dealership !

Quote:
Hi,
Your new bike has arrived. When do you want to come to pick it up ?
And I'm having a surgery tomorrow and I wont be able to drive for two weeks. I think I'll have a quick drive after work today Just race home and pick it up
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #6003
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Peak District. UK
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
I am an electronics engineer too, same as UK_Engineer. I am retired and 67 years old but still very techy (developing iOS apps to keep me sharp). I have chosen to go for ALL the hi-tech options because I am a nerd, I don't expect to regret it but respect others in their choices.
Hoping to get mine by the end of next week. In the meantime, enjoy riding your new bike UK_Engineer
I have the D-ESA on my machine. I rode it home over a section of really undulating road over the moors, I used to set my old GS's ESA to enduro and soft to go over this section and it would still jar your teeth.On the new machine I forgot I was even on the rough section of road until I'd passed it, the DESA had almost completely illuminated it. I've had semi-active suspension on my last 2 cars so it's not new to me and I have faith in it and recognise it's benefits . The GS incidentally did a better job of smoothing the road than my car does!
I know where people are coming from though, as I too was a little apprehensive when buying my first car with semi active suspension.
__________________
Future..on order-BMW GSA LC,
Present..BMW R1200GS LC, K1200R-SPORT, R1200S,HP4
Past.. BMW R1150GSA,R1200GSA,R1200GS,R1200RT,K1600GT
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #6004
IB1
Beastly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
I am an electronics engineer too, same as UK_Engineer. I am retired and 67 years old but still very techy (developing iOS apps to keep me sharp). I have chosen to go for ALL the hi-tech options because I am a nerd, I don't expect to regret it but respect others in their choices.
Hoping to get mine by the end of next week. In the meantime, enjoy riding your new bike UK_Engineer
Nerds want to have the latest and modern toys. On that front I am a nerd (although a hidden one since I do sports )

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
I understand that many people will be attracted to the dynamic suspension for many reasons, but I am not yet convinced by computer controlled damping on a motorcycle - maybe there are some circumstances in which it is less than ideal - I prefer simplicity
I am lazy on that field. On my current bike I never touched the suspension set up. With the new system I will use it and change is according to my preferences.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #6005
UK_Engineer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridgeshire UK
Oddometer: 67
I work in Electronics and understand embedded software systems and know just how many weird, wonderful and totally unexpected bugs can lurk in systems when presented with unusual (untested) situations - I don't want any chance of that happening with my motorcycle suspension (there are a lot of combinations to test!).

I am sure the GS system has been well designed and well tested, but I would always have a little niggle in the back of my mind about it.
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #6006
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
I work in Electronics and understand embedded software systems and know just how many weird, wonderful and totally unexpected bugs can lurk in systems when presented with unusual (untested) situations - I don't want any chance of that happening with my motorcycle suspension (there are a lot of combinations to test!).

I am sure the GS system has been well designed and well tested, but I would always have a little niggle in the back of my mind about it.
(I am NOT totally irrelevant to what I talk about - else I wouldn't talk about it)

I agree with you BUT there is one big difference... Actually a suspension and road conditions is a pretty simple system with pretty simple parameters that can be easily tested thoroughly (for a factory like BMW).

Yes it seems complex on paper (and want us to believe it is), but actually a robot tester can very much simulate all "bump" variations and combinations given time.

The end result of a good suspension is also very simple: Try to follow the surface as much as possible with any speed, without allowing the part that mounts on top of it to change its distance from the ground as much as possible (or at least eliminate sudden changes). When a bump makes the lower part to loose ground, it has to allow for return to ground in the relatively predictable manner.

Also let's not forget GS is the SECOND bike that has this suspension. It's not new and not even made by BMW.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...

NLS screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 06:08 AM
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #6007
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #6008
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
Except if...

(well don't blame me... those guys above that believe new GS sucks - because they don't have it - have already thought of that )
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #6009
Rauven
I like the cold...
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Tønsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 201
And nope... a bump with the reality. I will be able to pick it up after the upcoming week. I just can't stand the thought of it sitting there... alone... in a cold dealership without me. This is going to be one hard week
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #6010
UK_Engineer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Cambridgeshire UK
Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
(I am NOT totally irrelevant to what I talk about - else I wouldn't talk about it)

I agree with you BUT there is one big difference... Actually a suspension and road conditions is a pretty simple system with pretty simple parameters that can be easily tested thoroughly (for a factory like BMW).

Yes it seems complex on paper (and want us to believe it is), but actually a robot tester can very much simulate all "bump" variations and combinations given time.

The end result of a good suspension is also very simple: Try to follow the surface as much as possible with any speed, without allowing the part that mounts on top of it to change its distance from the ground as much as possible (or at least eliminate sudden changes). When a bump makes the lower part to loose ground, it has to allow for return to ground in the relatively predictable manner.

Also let's not forget GS is the SECOND bike that has this suspension. It's not new and not even made by BMW.
It would seem like a simple system in principle but there are an infinite number of combinations of things like lean angle, frame flex, speed, braking, accelerating forces etc, etc, etc - also don't forget the time lag in the software and electro-mechanical delays. I am sure it is probably a very good system like the S1000RR - but I am not an early adopter of such things, except the new E-Gas thing but I had no choice with that
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6011
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
Oh no he's not!! Today he has gone to see it come out of the crate and sort out the bike registration details. He will be back to gloat later I'm sure and he will be pacing up and down tomorrow with nothing better to do while they prep his bike.

. . . Saturday morning, I couldn't speculate what he might be up to

I can only hope that in one weeks time I am doing exactly the same
On the bright side, I have managed to persuade my dealer to let me ride their demonstrator this coming Sunday afternoon - whoopee

paul
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #6012
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
I have managed to persuade my dealer to let me ride their demonstrator this coming Sunday afternoon - whoopee

paul
??? Dealers are open Sunday afternoon there?
Or you are (close) friends?
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #6013
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
It would seem like a simple system in principle but there are an infinite number of combinations of things like lean angle, frame flex, speed, braking, accelerating forces etc, etc, etc - also don't forget the time lag in the software and electro-mechanical delays. I am sure it is probably a very good system like the S1000RR - but I am not an early adopter of such things, except the new E-Gas thing but I had no choice with that
Very valid points. My thought on the whole ESA/non-ESA thing is it's technology, and eventually people have to adapt. I think BMW is just ahead of the curve, and trying to offer an even smoother ride. I wouldn't expect D/ESA to become industry standard on motorcycles for another 10 years or so. Even still, I'm sure many automobiles/motorcycles won't have D/ESA until it becomes law by the DOT.
Similar to what NLS said about fuel injection, ABS, these are all technologies that are now commonplace in machines. Yes, there are many, many more factors in ESA than there are in other technologies, but algorithms are the future, and they are here to stay. It's perfectly OK for you to not want ESA, but it will continue to become commonplace, and the more the market adapts to it, the better it will become through R&D. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #6014
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Very valid points. My thought on the whole ESA/non-ESA thing is it's technology, and eventually people have to adapt. I think BMW is just ahead of the curve, and trying to offer an even smoother ride. I wouldn't expect D/ESA to become industry standard on motorcycles for another 10 years or so. Even still, I'm sure many automobiles/motorcycles won't have D/ESA until it becomes law by the DOT.
Similar to what NLS said about fuel injection, ABS, these are all technologies that are now commonplace in machines. Yes, there are many, many more factors in ESA than there are in other technologies, but algorithms are the future, and they are here to stay. It's perfectly OK for you to not want ESA, but it will continue to become commonplace, and the more the market adapts to it, the better it will become through R&D. Just my 2 cents.
Here's a good example of smart software:
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #6015
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
??? Dealers are open Sunday afternoon there?
Or you are (close) friends?
Many dealers are open Saturday and Sunday for sales in the UK and closed on a Monday in lieu of the Sunday opening. Some even have sales staff there 7 days a week. Sunday at my dealer in Southport, opening hours 12 until 4 but I am quite friendly with them so collecting bike after 11. I must remember NOT to be late getting back though
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015