Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #6001
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
I bought the basic model with added heated grips and the new Vario panniers - I was not convinced by the fancy adaptive suspension and LED lights and the money saved will more than pay for this Summers trip to the South of France.
Smart move on the suspension, last thing I'd want is a computer controlling its every movement. Brings to mind servo brakes.

But I would have gone for the LED headlight. Have them on one of my bikes, much better than halogen or HID.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #6002
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Smart move on the suspension, last thing I'd want is a computer controlling its every movement. Brings to mind servo brakes.

But I would have gone for the LED headlight. Have them on one of my bikes, much better than halogen or HID.
The catch here being you can't get one without the other...
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #6003
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Sure, this is why these things are options.
That said, there will be time where such things will be default.
You cannot just ignore technology forever (actually you can, but you won't get "the latest" at some point, depending on your own "threshold").

I remember it all too well when this happened for ABS in bikes. And before that for ABS in cars. And for fuel injection. You name it.

Ah... and for liquid cooling too.

Also for smartphones (but that is a completely different discussion).

Back to bikes, it also happens right now with Honda DCT. I don't like it. I will like it in a few years surely.

Again, good to have choices. I envy you for having new GS anyway.
Quote:
I understand that many people will be attracted to the dynamic suspension for many reasons, but I am not yet convinced by computer controlled damping on a motorcycle - maybe there are some circumstances in which it is less than ideal - I prefer simplicity
I am an electronics engineer too, same as UK_Engineer. I am retired and 67 years old but still very techy (developing iOS apps to keep me sharp). I have chosen to go for ALL the hi-tech options because I am a nerd, I don't expect to regret it but respect others in their choices.
Hoping to get mine by the end of next week. In the meantime, enjoy riding your new bike UK_Engineer
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #6004
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Umm, he just bought a Panigale, so I don't think affording a GS is an issue and I think his post was directed to the user RichBMW and not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Thanks bud. I'm off this morning to watch it being unpacked, then it's the agonising wait until Saturday
Thanks, EJ.......

Rich, sounds like a fun way to start the day....only "one more sleep" until the fun really begins.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #6005
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Wicked

AAAAA ! Just got a message from the dealership !

Quote:
Hi,
Your new bike has arrived. When do you want to come to pick it up ?
And I'm having a surgery tomorrow and I wont be able to drive for two weeks. I think I'll have a quick drive after work today Just race home and pick it up
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #6006
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
I am an electronics engineer too, same as UK_Engineer. I am retired and 67 years old but still very techy (developing iOS apps to keep me sharp). I have chosen to go for ALL the hi-tech options because I am a nerd, I don't expect to regret it but respect others in their choices.
Hoping to get mine by the end of next week. In the meantime, enjoy riding your new bike UK_Engineer
I have the D-ESA on my machine. I rode it home over a section of really undulating road over the moors, I used to set my old GS's ESA to enduro and soft to go over this section and it would still jar your teeth.On the new machine I forgot I was even on the rough section of road until I'd passed it, the DESA had almost completely illuminated it. I've had semi-active suspension on my last 2 cars so it's not new to me and I have faith in it and recognise it's benefits . The GS incidentally did a better job of smoothing the road than my car does!
I know where people are coming from though, as I too was a little apprehensive when buying my first car with semi active suspension.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #6007
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Nerds want to have the latest and modern toys. On that front I am a nerd (although a hidden one since I do sports )

Quote:
I understand that many people will be attracted to the dynamic suspension for many reasons, but I am not yet convinced by computer controlled damping on a motorcycle - maybe there are some circumstances in which it is less than ideal - I prefer simplicity
I am lazy on that field. On my current bike I never touched the suspension set up. With the new system I will use it and change is according to my preferences.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #6008
UK_Engineer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I work in Electronics and understand embedded software systems and know just how many weird, wonderful and totally unexpected bugs can lurk in systems when presented with unusual (untested) situations - I don't want any chance of that happening with my motorcycle suspension (there are a lot of combinations to test!).

I am sure the GS system has been well designed and well tested, but I would always have a little niggle in the back of my mind about it.
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #6009
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
I work in Electronics and understand embedded software systems and know just how many weird, wonderful and totally unexpected bugs can lurk in systems when presented with unusual (untested) situations - I don't want any chance of that happening with my motorcycle suspension (there are a lot of combinations to test!).

I am sure the GS system has been well designed and well tested, but I would always have a little niggle in the back of my mind about it.
(I am NOT totally irrelevant to what I talk about - else I wouldn't talk about it)

I agree with you BUT there is one big difference... Actually a suspension and road conditions is a pretty simple system with pretty simple parameters that can be easily tested thoroughly (for a factory like BMW).

Yes it seems complex on paper (and want us to believe it is), but actually a robot tester can very much simulate all "bump" variations and combinations given time.

The end result of a good suspension is also very simple: Try to follow the surface as much as possible with any speed, without allowing the part that mounts on top of it to change its distance from the ground as much as possible (or at least eliminate sudden changes). When a bump makes the lower part to loose ground, it has to allow for return to ground in the relatively predictable manner.

Also let's not forget GS is the SECOND bike that has this suspension. It's not new and not even made by BMW.

NLS screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 06:08 AM
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #6010
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #6011
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
All is quiet from RichBMW, cause he's out fucking riding and enjoying the hell out of his GS LC! Woohoo! Ride hard dude.
Except if...

(well don't blame me... those guys above that believe new GS sucks - because they don't have it - have already thought of that )
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #6012
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
And nope... a bump with the reality. I will be able to pick it up after the upcoming week. I just can't stand the thought of it sitting there... alone... in a cold dealership without me. This is going to be one hard week
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #6013
UK_Engineer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
(I am NOT totally irrelevant to what I talk about - else I wouldn't talk about it)

I agree with you BUT there is one big difference... Actually a suspension and road conditions is a pretty simple system with pretty simple parameters that can be easily tested thoroughly (for a factory like BMW).

Yes it seems complex on paper (and want us to believe it is), but actually a robot tester can very much simulate all "bump" variations and combinations given time.

The end result of a good suspension is also very simple: Try to follow the surface as much as possible with any speed, without allowing the part that mounts on top of it to change its distance from the ground as much as possible (or at least eliminate sudden changes). When a bump makes the lower part to loose ground, it has to allow for return to ground in the relatively predictable manner.

Also let's not forget GS is the SECOND bike that has this suspension. It's not new and not even made by BMW.
It would seem like a simple system in principle but there are an infinite number of combinations of things like lean angle, frame flex, speed, braking, accelerating forces etc, etc, etc - also don't forget the time lag in the software and electro-mechanical delays. I am sure it is probably a very good system like the S1000RR - but I am not an early adopter of such things, except the new E-Gas thing but I had no choice with that
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6014
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Oh no he's not!! Today he has gone to see it come out of the crate and sort out the bike registration details. He will be back to gloat later I'm sure and he will be pacing up and down tomorrow with nothing better to do while they prep his bike.

. . . Saturday morning, I couldn't speculate what he might be up to

I can only hope that in one weeks time I am doing exactly the same
On the bright side, I have managed to persuade my dealer to let me ride their demonstrator this coming Sunday afternoon - whoopee

paul
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #6015
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
I have managed to persuade my dealer to let me ride their demonstrator this coming Sunday afternoon - whoopee

paul
??? Dealers are open Sunday afternoon there?
Or you are (close) friends?