Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #6496
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
No. Do your homework.
You know, you could actually be less of a jerk by just saying "Hey, you didn't know that they use standard torx on these now, right?". But that might be too much to ask from someone telling others not to be a jerk ...

Here it is:

and if these fit the size of the provided "screw driver handle" and the torque values are in a range that can actually be handled with that, then yes, they could be adjusted.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #6497
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Yeah we get these ugly things:
Crap, EU are much nicer looking! Had not noticed that!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #6498
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by schisi View Post
I've ordered a set 2 weeks ago directly at Holan in Poland. They are working day and night 7 days a week to get this ready for the LC.
I wasn't sure which colour would best fit my white bike, intially I ordered them in "natural aluminium" and 45l size. But after having seen the new pics I changed my mind and switched to 38 l cases, custom coloured in white with black lids. Not sure if this is too much white... however, will be covered with decals soon anyway...
My order should be ready for shipping next week. I will post pics when I have them.

@NLS: I will take the pictures with my professional DSLR, I own a HTC Windows Phone and I am very happy with it
Do these panniers mount on the stock GS mounts? They look great.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #6499
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
You are mixing two points.
No I'm not. I'm replying to two different points he made.

Quote:
He's not trying to screw BMW, even if we all go and drink chai latte at the dealer, that still doesn't solve the problem.
I don't even have an idea what the problem is. Apparently it has something to do with feeling slighted out of $10 worth of tools, though for the life of me I still can't figure out why this would register as an "issue" to any normal person.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #6500
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Yeah we get these ugly things:

I think those are the standard (non U.S.) turn signals. With the optional (non U.S.) turn signals being the LEDs.

This picture below I believe has the U.S. turn signals....vastly uglier I'm afraid to say , but in compliance with silly DOT rules. The good news is that your dealer will sell the optional LED euro turn signals and perhaps a shorter euro stalk for the standard turn signals if you want to make the change. You'll also note in this picture, the corner of the amber fork reflector (US DOT requirement). However, since this picture has been taken, the DOT has declined approval for the LED DRL on the halogen headlights, so in place of that there will be a plastic piece. The Horshoe LED DRL that comes with the LED headlights has been approved.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...1200gs-photos/

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 10:31 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #6501
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
It is a big deal, if you ask me. Besides, if the manufacturer provides toolkit, they don't just hand you a bag, they provide cover/space for it also. This avoids you having to put tools in your panniers and taking up valuable space. You can choose on your own if you wish to take more.
Excellent point. That's one of my few gripes about my camhead GS.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #6502
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
my bike status went from #112 to #150

they're putting my bike together
checked the Berlin-area-soccer-teams for any important games that might be played, but none of this, so the guys who put the bikes together won't be (too) drunk this week
268 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #6503
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I think those are the standard (non U.S.) turn signals. With the optional (non U.S.) turn signals being the LEDs.

This picture below I believe has the U.S. turn signals....vastly uglier I'm afraid to say , but in compliance with silly DOT rules. The good news is that your dealer will sell the optional LED euro turn signals and perhaps a shorter euro stalk for the standard turn signals if you want to make the change. You'll also note in this picture, the corner of the amber fork reflector (US DOT requirement). However, since this picture has been taken, the DOT has declined approval for the LED DRL on the halogen headlights, so in place of that there will be a plastic piece. The Horshoe LED DRL that comes with the LED headlights has been approved.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...1200gs-photos/
I think those are the US (Dot) signals, not good.
Not sure about the nice small and short EU signals, currently US dealers are not selling those (I can be wrong).

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #6504
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Bitchin'

Good grief I think there should be an age limit and a bitch filter on these threads. Or some of the posters should get a real life.
Five year old kids in the sand box behave better
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #6505
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Five year old kids in the sand box behave better
Not if there's a GS in there...

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #6506
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
my bike status went from #112 to #150

they're putting my bike together
checked the Berlin-area-soccer-teams for any important games that might be played, but none of this, so the guys who put the bikes together won't be (too) drunk this week
I hope you get yours soon. I was told last Friday that mine was built and sitting at the factory waiting to be put in a container, checked through customs etc.

BUT, my dealer can't give me any updates as to where it is now except probably still at the factory. Hells bells, that is almost a week now and NOTHING. I was hoping to be picking it up this coming Saturday at the latest.

I am really getting fed up waiting (but I suspect my dealer is getting more fed up with me pestering him ) What makes it worse is hearing of other people in the UK having a test ride and then buying a bike from dealers stock (not my dealer) when I ordered mine late December.

Frustration vented now, feeling chilled again
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #6507
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Not sure about the nice small and short EU signals, currently US dealers are not selling those (I can be wrong).
Yes for the LED signals. A friend has already ordered and received them. I saw a post of someone that bought the Non-U.S. stalks for his camhead and installed them on his existing turn signals, so hoping the same would be available for the new GS, although I think I'd get the LEDs.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #6508
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post

I was pointed out at the International Motorcycle Show in Los Angeles area by the BMW Product Manager from NJ, that LED option turn signals can be purchased from the dealer. He then took me to another BMW bike that had them installed and showed me what it would look like.

Standard long stalk turn signal look like spear heads.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #6509
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So what? I am a software engineer and I'm not getting anywhere on that bike because there is no access to it. I know it was nearly a joke, but you are certainly right in some way. Complexity in systems has generally surpassed the riders ability to fix something.

Although, there are so many mechanical parts on a bike that it's plain audacious to provide this joke of a "toolkit". If you can't take off a wheel, tighten some loose bolts, or adjust the handlebars or levers with the onboard toolkit, you should be screaming like hell towards the manufacturer's bean counters. Again a case of maximizing profit by not giving the customer basic bits and pieces.

Just think about it, it's the same as if they sold a car without seat adjustment and made that an optional extra. It's time the press picks up stuff like that.
For some riders that ain't necessary. My handlebars will never be adjusted after the initial set up at the garage, let alone a wheel that should be changed.

And on a Merc Vito an adjustable passenger seat is an option...
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #6510
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
And on a Merc Vito an adjustable passenger seat is an option...
But hat, Sir, is a Mercedes car and not at all a BMW Motorcycle; apples and oranges

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote