Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #6616
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

6) The handle on the provided screwdriver can be used for removing the engine-oil filler neck. Smart. One less tool to loose in the jungle.
Thanks, now the man babies can quit bitching about the lack of tools. It's BMW, it's in their DNA to innovate folks.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #6617
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
"Motorrad" just tested the new "Adventure" type motorcycles. Of course the GS had to win, followed by the 1190 (better engine, only low rpm behavior not the best) and the Explorer, then Super Tenere I think and always last place: Stelvio
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #6618
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Although I prefer bmw bikes, I can assure you that "Motorrad" magazine is (very) bias. But still, despite knowing that, I would not opt for any of the mentioned other adv bikes.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #6619
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor View Post
Although I prefer bmw bikes, I can assure you that "Motorrad" magazine is (very) bias. But still, despite knowing that, I would not opt for any of the mentioned other adv bikes.
Of course a German magazine would support its reader base, most are riding a GS, then the Austrian industry, GB is far away, Japan? The Stelvio is great but doesn't fit right into the mould, too much character if you know what I mean. I'd say the GS deserves to win because of attention to detail and the sum of its parts resulting in the overall best package for the average rider.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #6620
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Interestingly enough we now have (two) fuses. Not sure what this means.
Maybe CANBUS wasn't that smart after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldAHiMj2JTE

No comments by me.
This "extra" depending on your background and taste, can look from cool to stupid. From "one more thing to break" to "one more bling bling for my lady".

Well, they don't do much though. 15 A Instrument cluster, alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket
7.5 A Multifunction switch left, tyre pressure control (RDC)

Regarding the youtube video. It should spin too
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #6621
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Not really. R50 not there in English version (or I am blind).
That's weird, I did download mine from there but looking again, it has disappeared. Never mind, the other link is still good
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #6622
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Well, they don't do much though. 15 A Instrument cluster, alarm system (DWA), ignition lock, diagnostic socket
Will removing the 15A fuse disable the alarm, allowing for a potential theft in progress?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #6623
Alpha Wolfman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Crimping the threads? What are they doing? Please use locktight on mine

I have concerns about the crimping of the fork attachment threads

Ok how are we going to remove the front end of this motorcycle without buggering the threads? Now that there are (I assume) 4 dimples to lock the cap to the fork leg which I assume again locks the threads by destroying them. Also what about the chrome finish on the leg itself? will it now crack and rust where dimpled? I am still number three to get my LCGS at my local dealer and still getting the bike but this fix is a major bummer. Now, I wonder how BMW will treat this so called "repair" after the front end is removed to service the head race of some other maintenance? Especially once the bike is out of warranty? This is my first bike with this type of front end and I assume things will need to be serviced? If you are one of the people who has to pay someone else to work on your motorcycle, will you have to pay for new fork legs just because they had to be removed to service some other part? At least with locktight you can heat it up and remove it without damaging anything? Or am I crazy and the legs never need to come off the bike?
Alpha Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #6624
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
One BMW dealer in Colorado told me that the demo bike just arrived half hour ago

I'm praying for mine to arrive soon - our riding season is too short here especially in the mountains.
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #6625
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfman View Post

Ok how are we going to remove the front end of this motorcycle without buggering the threads? Now that there are (I assume) 4 dimples to lock the cap to the fork leg which I assume again locks the threads by destroying them. Also what about the chrome finish on the leg itself? will it now crack and rust where dimpled? I am still number three to get my LCGS at my local dealer and still getting the bike but this fix is a major bummer. Now, I wonder how BMW will treat this so called "repair" after the front end is removed to service the head race of some other maintenance? Especially once the bike is out of warranty? This is my first bike with this type of front end and I assume things will need to be serviced? If you are one of the people who has to pay someone else to work on your motorcycle, will you have to pay for new fork legs just because they had to be removed to service some other part? At least with locktight you can heat it up and remove it without damaging anything? Or am I crazy and the legs never need to come off the bike?
German Motorrad showed 2 pictures of the mechanical procedure and tool (standard again moving forward) to secure the upper fork tubes instead of glue (lower cost), looks simple, looks like the plastic part will be pushed back up after the work is done.

www.motorradonline.de
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #6626
tailspin74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
GS just left port (Hansweert)...tracking her all the way over

Of course the wait is the most painful part, but being able to check in on her every hour is fun. Cruising along at 5.5 knots

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...0&type_color=7
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #6627
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfman View Post

The tool use preexisting dimples in the fork tube to grab hold of the fork tube to tighten the top fitting to the tube. After tightening the relationship between the fork tube top fitting and the fork tube is recorded by witness paint. The tool does not deform the threads IMHO.
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #6628
oldspice1972
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspin74 View Post
Of course the wait is the most painful part, but being able to check in on her every hour is fun. Cruising along at 5.5 knots

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...0&type_color=7
That's just too cool. I'd be watching that site every hour too! Looks like it's up to 16 knots now!

2012 BMW R1200RT
oldspice1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #6629
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldAHiMj2JTE

No comments by me.
This "extra" depending on your background and taste, can look from cool to stupid. From "one more thing to break" to "one more bling bling for my lady".
Yes, I like it, let the farkling begin!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #6630
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Will removing the 15A fuse disable the alarm, allowing for a potential theft in progress?
RTFM ;) When disconected from power alarm still keeps running on battery. No light signals, but the sound is still there.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote